Old 02-23-2017, 05:59 PM   #8
Nomad Willy
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott2640 View Post
Thanks eric but i know how much HP i need, the question is,is under powering bad for the engine. Not sure about what the "need to shop More" means. im not buying yet, im researching.
Re the question it gets talked about a great deal. Ask yourself if it was'nt better to run a diesel almost hot or darn warm why would TF need to be talking about it so often? It's almost like a religious chant.
I personally think the lube oil needs to be run 170 degrees or more for the deposits like varnish and sludge to be carried away and not burned into ring lands ect. A 50% load (again my opinion) is about the minimum load in most engines to keep the lube oil up to 170 degrees.

A huge number of skippers on this forum are overpowered or just putzing along trying to minimize the fuel burn. They are trying to justify running light w repeated statements like "I've never heard of an engine wearing out from lack of load". They actually do but most of the glaring examples are gen sets. Running a diesel engine on a boat is best run at 55 to 65% load. Load is determined by the percentage of maximum WOT power that the engine can produce. An FL can burn 6gph correctly propped wide open so if you have one and are burning 3hph you're at a 50% load.

It's a compromise of engine heat and noise IMO.

"Need to shop more" = keep looking .. you'll find engines at the power rating you want. Shopping is fun.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote