View Single Post
Old 02-22-2017, 03:39 PM   #15
McGillicuddy
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Scot Free
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 53' Efficient
Next day (Saturday) we stayed anchored until 2 pm while I tried to fix the engine controls on the fly bridge. They were sticking and not allowing full travel and therefore I couldn't get full rpm. We managed to get them working properly and continued on the journey. Since it was such a late start we decided to head to Cameron.

Offshore the weather was nice with 10-15 knot breezes and a slight rolling sea. At 5pm we were at the jetties and at 6pm we were tied up at a wharf. The town of Cameron is very close to the jetties and makes a horseshoe loop around an island. The ship channel goes straight up past the horseshoe so if you are in the rather large loop you are well protected from heavy traffic and all weather. The entire loop is made up of commercial wharves however with the decline of both the fisheries and oil industries about 70% are abandoned or closed. We picked a rather new shrimp processing plant that looked like it was built and never used so had a nice dock. We fired up the grill and cooked steaks.. I have been to Cameron many times and there is nothing much worth seeing there. For us it was just a place to tie up for the night. There is plenty wildlife to be seen on and around the island though.

I would advise anybody taking this route to combine our day one and day two routes and skip Port Arthur.
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote