Headroom?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikeg

Hello all. I am new to the forum and just beginning the search for my boat. I intend to live on it. I am looking at trawlers in the 32-44' range, hopefully $20-60k. I'm probably 3-5 years out from purchase.

I'm 6'3" tall, so headroom is a big concern for me. Not only in the main salon, but also in the shower.

So, my question is, what boats should I be looking at that will allow me the most headroom throughout the entire living area? Any first hand info you have on headroom would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

The Searay I just bought has plenty of headroom for me. 6ft, Even with my arms on my head.

I think you'll find that most boats of the sort discussed here will accommodate a 6'-3 person.

You will have to check the showers, though. Ours is one of the old Taiwanese Trawlers that has the bathtub with a built-in seat. Standing, I'll hit my shoulders on the hanging hand-held shower handle, and risk my head against the shower rod. I'm 6'-3, overweight and stiff w/arthritic knees.

Some on this list have taken their Sawzall to the tub and made a proper shower base.

I think you'll find that most boats of the sort discussed here will accommodate a 6'-3 person.

You will have to check the showers, though. Ours is one of the old Taiwanese Trawlers that has the bathtub with a built-in seat. Standing, I'll hit my shoulders on the hanging hand-held shower handle, and risk my head against the shower rod. I'm 6'-3, overweight and stiff w/arthritic knees.

Some on this list have taken their Sawzall to the tub and made a proper shower base.

So, you're uncomfortable with the headroom in the shower? What model & year boat are we talking about?

Like I said, I'm a few years out from buying, and I'm not in a location where I can look at boats in person. That's why I"m here asking the question. I'm hoping for responses like "I have a 1987 Albin 36 and I'm 6'5 and I can comfortably dance the macarena in the shower." or, "I hit my head on the ceiling of my '87 Krogen 42 and I'm only 5 feet tall!"

Answers that don't include specific years, makes and models as well as the height and comfort level of the user aren't all that helpful...

Whenever tall people come aboard our Willard 30' they usually immediately remark about the generous headroom.

mikeg, note that the boat is a 1984 FuHwa 39 as shown to the left.

As stated, her headroom for 6'-3 is adequate but shoulder room in the tub/shower is limited. Passageways and doors in the forepeak are 24" wide, adequate but not spacious. She's a Europa styled sedan, so she does not have an aft cabin or second head. Salon and access to the outdoors is therefore better (IMHO).

I've redesigned, and built a full-scale model for the flybridge ladder for easier climbing. I am in the process of making the permanent Teak ladder. I'm also in the process of redesigning and remaking the little two-step (three riser) ladder that extends from salon to forepeak; it will be a gentler pitch and have three steps (four risers). Of course, the headroom will not be improved ('way too much like work, but is possible) and it is inadequate for my comfort.

And, I don't do macaroons.

I'm new here, you can check out my thread on the welcome mat section. I'm 6'5" and just bought a 78 c&l 37 double cabin. I can stand in the salon/galley area and aft cabin. The shower/tub is terrible and would probably be for anyone over 6'. I looked at many boats and I basically bought the first, smallest boat I could stand in. I looked at boats as big as 40' that I could not stand in any where. My favorite was an 80s marine trader 44 but it sold before I got to it.

Those are my thoughts exactly. I despise that glass light fixture in the center of the already too short roof.
If I keep my boat I'm definitely going to try to do a recessed shower pan and recessed lighting

Being tall is tough.
At 6'3", I've struggled with some part of each of the boats we have owned.
Our last boat had just enough headroom for me to stand upright and stretch as long as I did not have shoes on and I was standing under a hatch!
I have always adapted though and being on a boat is worth whatever challenges are thrown my way.
The American Tug 395 has way more headroom than any of our previous boats with the exception of the cockpit. That is pretty close for me. I certainly can't jump back there.
Bruce

Back
Top Bottom