View Single Post
Old 02-22-2017, 08:27 AM   #12
SlowsailNC
Veteran Member

City: New Bern, NC
Vessel Name: Miss Deb
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
This product appears similar to an item called Stop It Pipe Repair System that I've sold to industrial/chemical plants for over 20 years. It was developed in the gulf coast region for the repair of underwater pipes by divers. For Stop It, the water activated resin is polyurethane and it is certified to ANSI/NSF 61 for use on potable water systems.

It can be used on most piping materials and has been used on hoses. It is not difficult to apply and cures to full strength in around 30 minutes. Depending upon pipe size and the number of wraps you apply it is rated for up to 400 psi.

I don't have all of the details at hand but during one of the single handed round the world sail boat races in the early 1990s one of the boats was dismasted and turned turtle. The skipper carried the product and used it to repair a cracked fitting that was allowing water to enter the upturned hull and displace trapped air. Probably some amount of marketing BS here but in a later article he claimed that he was critical in keeping the boat afloat until rescue arrived.

I am not trying to sell this stuff to anyone on the forum - just glad that for once I am able to provide some input.

Gene
SlowsailNC is offline   Reply With Quote