Raw Water Pump Impeller

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dvd

Vessel Name
BOOSTER
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 37
I'm getting ready to bring my new-to-me boat down from Rhode Island to Philly so am starting to collect the spare parts I want to carry with me. Besides a good stock of spare fuel filters for the primary Racors and some for the secondary filter, I want to have a spare impeller for the raw water pump. Unfortunately, I do not have a part number for this. I am assuming the pump is original to the (low-time) engine, but I don't know what pump it is. Would there have been a "standard" pump put on a Perkins T6.3544 in 1988 installed in Taiwan?

I guess the option is to wait until I get to the boat in RI and hope to pick up a spare impeller there before starting home.

Advice?

Thanks

The pumps are all the same on those era Perkins. I would call TAD Trans Atlantic Diesel in Virginia. They are Perkins experts and will give you the Jabsco or Sherwood part number.

www.tadiesels.com* I think this is their website

I would install a new one before you leave. That way:

1. You know it's good.

2. You know how to change it and have the tools to change it.

3. If the old one comes out good, you have a spare.

Keith wrote:
I would install a new one before you leave. That way:

1. You know it's good.

2. You know how to change it and have the tools to change it.

3. If the old one comes out good, you have a spare.
*X2, especially No. 2. And get an extra spare on top of the old one.

Great advice -- thanks.

Congrats on the new boat and ditto to the advice above!

WE usually install a Y strainer if the sea water pump feed is 1 inch or under.

A failed impeller is no big deal, one that fills and plugs passages in the heat exchanger and exhaust is a bigger deal.

The Y strainer is AFTER the impeller pump , and when the pump fails it will catch all the bits and pieces that usually shed off .

This is easier to monitor than the impeller it self , and will show the first bits before the entire impeller fails.

In shallow water its cheaper/easier to monitor than simply changing out on run time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom