Not exactly surprised by this.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
True, but they are an IQ Quotient tolerant rescue organization.

They have saved some people who the day before the rescue, had some pretty impressive credentials.... :)

Greetings,
MOSTLY saves? Have the USCG been saving pieces of people? "Ya, we got everyone off the sinking vessel...2/3 of the cook, 3/4 of the bos'n and about 85% of the captain and most of the ship's dog."
Mr. 11. I understand perfectly what the blogger is saying but he must have been absent the day his English class learned about misplaced modifiers...

giphy.gif

Why save the stupid part of people? :)

No surprise there. One only has to look at some of abject stupidity that is displayed on the water each day, and you know a bunch of them won't be able to dodge Mr. Murphy for very long. Put another way, if the average driver on the highway was an inept as the average boater, car insurance would be twice the price.

Ted

"Think of the average stupid person, then realize that half of them are even more stupid."

"When you're dead, you don't realize it. Stupid is just like that."

Take a look at the author:. Squatthrust... One of my favorite exercises

Stupid is the norm. I dare someone claim they've never done a stupid thing that risked property, injury, or life.

I think all the advancements we've had in boating are both a blessing and a curse.... The last 25 years has seen such tremendous advancement in electronics, engine reliability and communication that boating has become much more accessible and less intimidating to people.

Just to own a boat you had to be willing to sand, scrape, caulk and paint it. Then to use it, you had to know how to actually plot a course on a paper chart and calculate distance based on your RPM and a stopwatch. (If you were really lucky you might have a radio direction finder to help you out.) You wouldn't dare go past the breakwater without having a spare set of plugs, points and condenser and knowing how to change them all. A barometer, weathervane and "Pink Skies at night....." were the extent of weather information. If you wanted anyting cold to drink you had to buy 10 pound blocks of ice and lug them down to the boat, and a marine head from back in the day makes a port-a-potty seem like a palace. The average Joe just wasn't willing to go through all that.

Now boat manufacturers sell us unsinkable boats with auto pilots, stabilizers and life rafts, We can take a 3 hour boating safety course, electronics tell as where we are at all times, ePirbs will call for help and Sea-Tow will come drag us home if we need it. If it all goes bad, a lawyer will tell you ( or your next of kin) that it wasn't your fault and will sue the responsible party.

I'm not bemoaning the advancements like some sort of troglodite, but there are unintended consequences to everything, and making boating safer has opened the sport up to more people.

I think all the advancements we've had in boating are both a blessing and a curse.... The last 25 years has seen such tremendous advancement in electronics, engine reliability and communication that boating has become much more accessible and less intimidating to people.

Just to own a boat you had to be willing to sand, scrape, caulk and paint it. Then to use it, you had to know how to actually plot a course on a paper chart and calculate distance based on your RPM and a stopwatch. (If you were really lucky you might have a radio direction finder to help you out.) You wouldn't dare go past the breakwater without having a spare set of plugs, points and condenser and knowing how to change them all. A barometer, weathervane and "Pink Skies at night....." were the extent of weather information. If you wanted anyting cold to drink you had to buy 10 pound blocks of ice and lug them down to the boat, and a marine head from back in the day makes a port-a-potty seem like a palace. The average Joe just wasn't willing to go through all that.

Now boat manufacturers sell us unsinkable boats with auto pilots, stabilizers and life rafts, We can take a 3 hour boating safety course, electronics tell as where we are at all times, ePirbs will call for help and Sea-Tow will come drag us home if we need it. If it all goes bad, a lawyer will tell you ( or your next of kin) that it wasn't your fault and will sue the responsible party.

I'm not bemoaning the advancements like some sort of troglodite, but there are unintended consequences to everything, and making boating safer has opened the sport up to more people.

Humph, a sport aye???

All this time I thought of boating as a lifestyle.

OK. OK... so now, in 2017 it's become a "Sportive Lifestyle"!

Toot, Toot - :speed boat: :D

LOL, good one, thanks for posting!

Successful humor always has some truth to it ;)

The author was not only a good humorist, but has some real insight into what goes on out there. I dare say the quotes attributed to on-scene SAR unit commanders are exactly what they'd say... off the record.

I can't belive this forum is having a discussion about how stupid OTHER people are. Or did I miss something? And it appears the act of posting on this thread is declaration of being smart.

People do things that look or appear to be stupid because they lack information. Not because they are stupid .. as in lack brains. Some people immerse themselves in an activity (like boating) that requires knowledge and experience so others appear to be stupid that lack this knowledge.

And the stupidest thing one can do is call them out as stupid. That's very stupid indeed. Looking back I see there is at least one good post and I enjoyed Art's comment about "sportive" lifestyle. There's is nothing stupid about Ben's very good post or Gordon J's fake news comment either.

It's hard to belive public servants would make some of the comments in the article linked. Perhaps it was fake news. I can only hope.

Greetings,
Mr. mb. "It's hard to belive public servants would make..." HAH! I guess you've never worked with public servants. A BIG part of the equation is knowing what you don't know AND admitting it.

Hey if boating is a sport does that make me an athlete?

I can't belive this forum is having a discussion about how stupid OTHER people are. Or did I miss something? And it appears the act of posting on this thread is declaration of being smart.

People do things that look or appear to be stupid because they lack information. Not because they are stupid .. as in lack brains. Some people immerse themselves in an activity (like boating) that requires knowledge and experience so others appear to be stupid that lack this knowledge.

And the stupidest thing one can do is call them out as stupid. That's very stupid indeed. Looking back I see there is at least one good post and I enjoyed Art's comment about "sportive" lifestyle. There's is nothing stupid about Ben's very good post or Gordon J's fake news comment either.

It's hard to belive public servants would make some of the comments in the article linked. Perhaps it was fake news. I can only hope.

Eric, you realize that this is from a parody website, right? It's a joke. Look at some of the other articles...

Mattis signs order formally recognizing Jalapeno cheese spread as currency at all DoD facilities

Army Welcomes Transgendered Military Working Dogs

Air Force to allow average looking, uncool people to become fighter pilots

Duffleblog should only be read be active duty or ex-military. There is a certain self-depreciating and sardonic humour that pervades the military, that others just don't get or will find offensive.

I don't condone or encourage stupidity...but I'm perfectly willing to appreciate the entertainment value provided by those that do.

OK I feel better now that I've eaten.

Ben you won't be disappointed here.

Bill did you actually intend post #1 to be humor?

On a positive note here's a picture that I snitched off a friends FB page.

Attachments

• 14292534_10154341833080999_445083789114382114_n copy.jpg
    14292534_10154341833080999_445083789114382114_n copy.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
If you really wanted to see stupid, go to a boat ramp on a holiday weekend.

Don't forget to cgrab a beer.

Is it me or does it seem to other loopers or NE snowbirders....when you get to Florida...everyone thinks the center of the channel is reserved for them? :)

Is it me or does it seem to other loopers or NE snowbirders....when you get to Florida...everyone thinks the center of the channel is reserved for them? :)

Wifey B: It is, so get out of our way. :)

Same way over here in Washington State.

But you would'nt be sensitive to it if you did'nt want the middle for yourself.

I don't condone or encourage stupidity...but I'm perfectly willing to appreciate the entertainment value provided by those that do.

You win the internet for the day!!!!

If you really wanted to see stupid, go to a boat ramp on a holiday weekend.

Don't forget to cgrab a beer.

There is a boat ramp in Port O'connor, Tx. It is right on the ICW. It is technically not a no wake zone. So it is quite a spectacle on the weekends. So much so that people do in fact pack a cooler and lawn chairs to go out and watch!!!

Wifey B: It is, so get out of our way. :)

HaHa this IS a joke and a good one. And indeed I would get out of your way WifeyB.

Got to admit previous wife and I did go at times to the boat launch ramp for entertainment.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom