New Trawler owner!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nopistn

Vessel Make
37' C&L Double Cabin
Hi all, I've been lurking here for about 6 months as I've been looking at boats and doing research. The information on this forum has been great, thanks!
Now for the important part, in December I bought a 1978 C&L 37 aft cabin. I bought it because it was the smallest boat I could stand in (6'5"), it was in my price range, AND it was very local. The week after I bought it she was struck by lightning which took out a few of the electronics (VHF, FM, Battery Charger, Auto bilge pumps, Many light bulbs, antennas, toilet computer, ect) That added to the long list of repairs the boat already needed and I was working on it for several weeks.
The boat has twin Lehman 120's, original from what I can tell but run OK, and a newer 9kw norpro gen. The hull is solid and there doesn't seems to be and structural issues, just some interior panel rot from leaking port lights, a leaking water tank, and other plumbing leaks.

Now a little about me. I'm 30 and grew up in the Clear Lake area with my family being from south Louisiana, I spent a lot of time on the water there also. I currently have a 1976? Glastron center console, and my only inboard boat experience is with ski/wakeboard boats. This in my first boat that doesn't live on a trailer, or that has a cabin. I've got a little experience working on motorhomes and a lot of the "house" stuff seems the same. I bought the boat because I love being on the water, and wanted to own something without the commitment and financial burden of owning a place on the water. I work mostly out of town and have a girlfriend who lives out of town. I enjoy kayaking and other water sports. I'm using the boat for a part time liveaboard lakehouse right now, and a test to see if I enjoy staying on the boat. My only serious gripes with the living accommodations right now is the shower (mini tub), it's way too short for me to stand and take a comfortable shower in. I'm going to continue working on this boat when I'm there, and try it for one summer. If I really like it I'll either get used to this setup, modify the shower, or sell it and get a larger boat. If I don't like it I'll sell it and get a place back on land.
I love the classic look of this boat and all of the woodwork but the thought of the maintenance and upkeep of it scares me a little.

I attached a few pictures, one of them has my center console in it also.

Attachments

• IMG_8881.jpg
    IMG_8881.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_8871.jpg
    IMG_8871.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 184
  • 20170212_171031.jpg
    20170212_171031.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 173
Very pretty looking boat, and it looks like it has been well cared for.

Any more pics?

Here are some more pics, anything you want to see specifically? I'm back at work now so I just have the pictures that are already on my phone.
And that is the aft mini tub setup that I'm not a fan of.

Attachments

• 6011789_20161122085747773_1_XLARGE.jpg
    6011789_20161122085747773_1_XLARGE.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_8884.jpg
    IMG_8884.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_8885.jpg
    IMG_8885.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 156
  • 6011789_20161122085836820_1_XLARGE.jpg
    6011789_20161122085836820_1_XLARGE.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 156
Nice. The wood work looks well maintained already. What is the ER Like?

Welcome

Possible shower solution. Far from ideal but coupled with a handheld shower head it might make life aboard more comfortable short term.

IMG_4399.JPG

ER has some surface rust on various things, i removed all unused wires, fixed all lights, and scrubbed the bilge. Smells much better now.

Welcome

Possible shower solution. Far from ideal but coupled with a handheld shower head it might make life aboard more comfortable short term.

View attachment 61738

You can kinda see in the picture where the mini tunb has a bench built in already.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! Congratulations on the new boat. :thumb:

Ted

Isn't it an awesome feeling when you get a new boat?
Congratulations!
May she bring you much pleasure!!!
Bruce

Very nice looking trawler.

Very nice! I'm down the road in Rockport.

Welcome, and yes, nice vessel. Thinking shower mods, seeing that is the thing bugging you most. What might be involved in removing the shub, (shower/tub), and setting in place at a lower level, (? even recessed below floor level a bit), just a pre-formed stainless or ABS plastic domestic shower tray, with a suitable surround curtain, or rigid enclosure, with a sliding door. Is there room for that..? No-body needs a bath on a boat really, but a good shower is vital.

I don't know what it is about taking a nice hot shower aboard, but I find myself giving thanks over and over among oohs and ahhs. Welcome and happy new trawler!

Long hot showers? That's one reason to stay overnight at a hotel, versus your land-based home or boat. (We still have water-use limitations in California.)

Last edited:
The week after I bought it she was struck by lightning

Now that's what I call unlucky, I trust you were covered by insurance. If the insurance company declines the claim on the grounds of 'an act of god' tell them you are an atheist.

It is a great looking boat, but I agree get rid of the bath set up.

Welcome to the club of the eternal optimists and home of the economically brave. ;)

Now that's what I call unlucky, I trust you were covered by insurance. If the insurance company declines the claim on the grounds of 'an act of god' tell them you are an atheist.

Welcome to the club of the eternal optimists and home of the economically brave. ;)

Andy, I wonder if the OP ever saw that movie filmed here in Aus, starring Billy Connolly, called "The man who sued God"..? His fishing boat was struck by lightening. It's a really feel good and funny movie. Anyone who hasn't seen it should get it out, download it - whatever. It was filmed largely in that beautiful South Coast NSW place with a very picturesque inlet, called Bermagui.
I know you knew all that Andy, by the way. That was for others who might not.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bermagui,_New_South_Wales

good luck new trawler boat! He seems that he is loved, keep she in gently, and he will be fine.

Last edited:
LOVE the tub on mine! It was a must have for my dog. :)

Good looking boat! Welcome aboard.

Welcome, and yes, nice vessel. Thinking shower mods, seeing that is the thing bugging you most. What might be involved in removing the shub, (shower/tub), and setting in place at a lower level, (? even recessed below floor level a bit), just a pre-formed stainless or ABS plastic domestic shower tray, with a suitable surround curtain, or rigid enclosure, with a sliding door. Is there room for that..? No-body needs a bath on a boat really, but a good shower is vital.

I was thinking the same thing about trying to put the shower pan about 6" below the floor level. I probably won't know what's involved with that until I rip the tub out though

1. I only have liability
2. If I had full coverage i doubt it would have helped much past the $1000 deductible, at least I didn't spend that much doing the labor myself and southern-engineering the toilet controls.

Andy, I wonder if the OP ever saw that movie filmed here in Aus, starring Billy Connolly, called "The man who sued God"..? His fishing boat was struck by lightening. It's a really feel good and funny movie. Anyone who hasn't seen it should get it out, download it - whatever. It was filmed largely in that beautiful South Coast NSW place with a very picturesque inlet, called Bermagui.
I know you knew all that Andy, by the way. That was for others who might not.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bermagui,_New_South_Wales

I have not seen it but I'll definitely have to check it out.

She's a beaut, congratulations!

Bummer about the lightning. I had a similar case, with me it was a massive snowstorm just a couple days after I closed, and before I'd even been aboard for the first time as owner. The Bimini damage would barely have been covered by insurance, so it wasn't worth making a claim.

There's nothing like that kind of damage to make you really feel you now OWN the boat! In other words, it's now YOUR problem. Tag. You're it.

It'll be fun to set the shower area up the way YOU want. Mine has a full-sized tub for some reason. Doesn't make a lot of sense, but that's how it came, and the whole head is molded as one piece.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom