save fuel and cruising green

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 37
About 10meters boat go 5 knots whith Omega sails kit for boats price 2700-18000€:eek:

A company called Omega Sails has come up with a new idea for harnessing the wind to haul powerboats and yachts up to 65 ft in length. The inflatable Omega Sail kite uses a surface of up to 200 sq meters to power a boat up to 5 knots per hour with no motor support. The kite is a great way to save fuel, increase your cruising range, protect the environment and provide a quiet, peaceful ride just for the fun of it. It’s also a good safety backup device in case of engine failure.
A 12 V air pump is provided that will inflate the Omega Sail kite in about 3 minutes. When you’re done with it, the kite is electrically pulled back to the deck where it can be deflated, folded and stored for later use.
The Omega Sail kite, which sold in France and through online orders, is available in six different sizes ranging from 20 to 200 square meters. Find out more about this

Kippis, NBS

OMEGSAILS : Kites for Stand Up Paddling, canoeing and boating

And ship model save 20% fuel

and oacis is the sea boat orginal air ship, Unfortunately, it ran a test on a cruise, no one was perched on the case. he does not yet finally painted, because a little rusty

Last edited:
With a smaller boat you save fuel and emit less all the time.

Sorry, not buying a 20% savings on a freighter using a supplemental sail while cruising at normal operating speeds. Find it hard to imagine that sail being able to pull the ship down wind at 3 knots.

Ted

Or just buy a sailboat to begin with.

The most "environmentally friendly" thing for any boater to do is sell the boat and sit on the banks and watch the other boats go by.

The cause of environmental damage to the planet is humans. Get rid of the humans and it will get along fine.

Sorry, not buying a 20% savings on a freighter using a supplemental sail while cruising at normal operating speeds. Find it hard to imagine that sail being able to pull the ship down wind at 3 knots.

Ted

Home link this systems devloped Company.

Finland has developed a new variation of an old invention the rotor sail. tube with a rotating rotor. is fact that this ship has reduced consumption of 6.1%. the pipe is 18 meters high. 6,1% is big save money and emissions (gargo ship)

a cruise ship is the world's first natural gas (lng) cruising ship emissions are very small, the shipping company to install the 30-meter pipe on board next year, when the ship left the service break, saving speculation is so is not yet fact.

2017014955917.jpg

Last edited:
Sail flies at 100 to 300 meters where is said the winds are stronger and more consistent.
Says the figure 8 pattern pulls more strongly. And can save 30% fuel costs.

I have wondered before, would a sky sail fall onto the water?
I have also wondered of inflating with helium instead of air to prevent that.

I remember flying kites and seeing them turn tail and slam into the ground,

Parafoil kites have been used effectively for years with ocean touring kyaks.
I have often wondered how well the concept could be scaled up to fit a typical trawler. I have no doubt such a kite would work, just wonder about cost effectiveness, and the stowage space required for the rig.

No doubt the nay-sayers will point out that you can only go down wind. In fact, you can go quite a bit off wind, determined primarily by the underwater profile of your boat.

I can tell you, if stuck in the middle of the ocean with major, non-repairable engine failure, and no wing engine, I would be very happy to have a kite!
Who cares which way the wind is blowing, it is bound to be moving you towards land in some direction!

Sail flies at 100 to 300 meters where is said the winds are stronger and more consistent.
Says the figure 8 pattern pulls more strongly. And can save 30% fuel costs.

I have wondered before, would a sky sail fall onto the water?
I have also wondered of inflating with helium instead of air to prevent that.

I remember flying kites and seeing them turn tail and slam into the ground,

Save 30% fuel consuptions is about 6000-10000 gal / day, not bad :eek:

it is big money, and even if some (Mr TRUMPH) emissions should not be important, you can think about how much nature could be less burdened small actions. we ar lucky, we have the boats when the polar ice caps melt:nonono::D

There was a company that was making parafoil kites for use on sailboats. They looked very interesting. Not sure what happened to them. Sailors tend to be a very conservative lot, and the kites would have seemed too "newfangled" to be trustworthy by many.

A kite sail turns the motor boat into a hybrid, seems an ideal arrangement.
How about bigger kites, more power. How big a kite can you scale up with a 40 foot sized boat.

Looks like a lot of work to me. I was a sailboater until a year ago and loved sailing and monkeying with sails. But, having to keep this aloft, will require constant attention, I would think, and if it ever falls in the water will require rinsing, drying and a lot of effort to just get aboard.

If I were shooting a bee-line between norfolk and the Virgins, it might be cool otherwise, I think I will be a little less green.

Gordon

Solar Sailor

Sydney-Solar-Sailor-300-e1422309172565 (1).jpg

That's my idea of sailing a big vessel. These have been in use for a while in Sydney and in Hong Kong. I've followed the company for years and still love their concepts and while they haven't grown as I'd hoped, they are real world and have proven their products.

Current Designs | Ocius

Looks like a lot of work to me. I was a sailboater until a year ago and loved sailing and monkeying with sails. But, having to keep this aloft, will require constant attention, I would think, and if it ever falls in the water will require rinsing, drying and a lot of effort to just get aboard.

If I were shooting a bee-line between norfolk and the Virgins, it might be cool otherwise, I think I will be a little less green.

Gordon

That is one of the nicer things about the kites, they woudln't take that much effort to manage. You likely have had that wonderful experience of flying a spinnaker on a downwind leg for a long time without ever having to touch a sheet or guy (rare, but wonderful). A kite would be the same. I have flown a lot of parafoil kites and as long as the wind is reasonably constant, they will pretty much fly themselves. Unless the wind suddently drops below the velocity required for the kite, or it shifts too far, the kite would stay up.

I never seriously considered one for my sailboat as my area never has consistent wind. However for those that are in a areas where the wind can be counted on, it would be nice.

"we have the boats when the polar ice caps melt:nonono::D"

It wont be till 2060+ for enough melting to use the NWP commercially , even with ice rated vessels.

Now its mostly Russian tourism , about a dozen each year.

But it will save about 30% in fuel when the time finally comes

user_offline.gif

Parafoil kites have been used effectively for years with ocean touring kayaks....

We found it hard to get ours up in less than 15 knots wind, was a riot at 20 knots, butt puckering fast at 25 knots of wind, and mission critical to get the thing down above that :eek:

Last edited:
I'm skeptical of the value for a typical trawler mission, unless one is going off shore a LOT. It would be hard to operate close in, thru waterways or rivers, and anywhere a bridge would be. That would eliminate most of the great loopers, and the inter coastal crowd.

If I wanted one, I'd get a sail boat instead.

Would make sense for down wind runs here on BC's north coast where long channels between mountains funnel winds one way or the other.

My concern would be a quick release mechanism from the helm...I always had a knife in my hand when we used the kite with our sea kayak.

Last edited:
I wonder whatever happened to that boat and did it really work

Sure it did, it raised lots of money from those that believed the notion that we were running out of fossil fuels. No matter, TV footage was wonderful and a new cruise line (National Geographic) was born.

Now that prices are flying as high as these kites do, any new talk or news on this subject?

We had a parasailor which was referred to earlier on prior sailboat. No pole and easy to gybe. I could deploy and retrieve by myself. Major downside was unlike headsails on roller furling limited as to what TWS (true wind speed) you could use it in. So very rarely used it on passage and never at night. Would see exactly the same problem with using a kite on a powerboat with the added problems of deploying and retrieving. Doubt it would be used much. Too much work for short trips. Need to retrieve quickly if not running or far reaching. So not suitable in a coastal setting. Offshore you vey much want to keep it simple stupid and spend as little time as possible on deck.
On the other hand the rotor sails used on ships can tolerate a much wider range of wind speeds so are practical. Issue is they markly raise airdraft and take up valuable deck space. Again both limiting in a coastal setting.
Practical way to increase efficiency is increase space for solar. Can reasonably be done to carry all house loads. Also add prop driven wind generators and most importantly decrease drag and displacement. Believe that’s why there’s the current increased interest in LDL boats. One notes the “cleanest “ boats have been the ultra light trimarans. I seem to recall some have circumnavigated on alt energy alone.

Greetings,
From another site: Connecticut’s Department of Revenue Services this week announced a coming tax hike on diesel fuel, resulting in a nine cent increase.

The current tax in the state is 40.1 cents on diesel fuel, but it will increase to 49.2 cents per gallon in about two weeks, beginning July 1.

I think it may only apply to road diesel but is marine far behind?

Greetings,
From another site: Connecticut’s Department of Revenue Services this week announced a coming tax hike on diesel fuel, resulting in a nine cent increase.

The current tax in the state is 40.1 cents on diesel fuel, but it will increase to 49.2 cents per gallon in about two weeks, beginning July 1.

I think it may only apply to road diesel but is marine far behind?

Great timing…

Why all this talk about electric this and electric that before exploring deeply all the benefits possible w gas and diesel power.

With my Willard going 1/2 a knot slower would likely reduce fuel burn 100%. Boats designed much like sailboats (hull wise) would be much much more efficient. Changes in the engine could also reduce fuel burn.

But even quicker results would result from smaller boats and boats designed specifically for low fuel consumption.

There’s lots of ways to address the problem w/o turning to electric and high tech solutions. And all the high tech time and money is a waste w/o getting the most from what we currently have.

Last edited:
I would love it if we can squeeze out more of what we have. Just seems they are starting a narrative of demonizing diesel, can't help but feel like it is an agenda.

@ Hippocampus. I do like the idea of adding solar. We filled our 2018 45.5 foot 5th wheel toy hauler with solar and really enjoyed the benefits of being off grid. Looking to do something similar with our next trawler.

Or just buy a sailboat to begin with.

The most "environmentally friendly" thing for any boater to do is sell the boat and sit on the banks and watch the other boats go by.

The cause of environmental damage to the planet is humans. Get rid of the humans and it will get along fine.

Exactly, if you really care about the environment, you have to go the Lin and Larry Pardey route. A wooden sailboat with no engine, that they cruised the world on for fifty years.

Recent-Lin-and-Larry-Pardey.jpg

Most of us don't care that much.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom