Cell & Wifi Boosters Revisited

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Boater,

If your going to bust on someone how about having the balls to do it under your usual user ID.

John
Hi John,What is Boater`s "usual user ID". Are you saying Boater has two TF accounts?

Hi John,What is Boater`s "usual user ID". Are you saying Boater has two TF accounts?

You should be able to view the IP address - 85% chance it matches someone else who is trying to be clever without understanding how their IP address gives them away...

Hi All - I am new to writing on this site and had always thought that 'guru' was part of the name/avatar. Obviously I was wrong. I've never posted before but looked on and was interested in this (and other) topics. I thought that adding a copy of information I received would add to this discussion.

Thanks for the welcome guys - now I have 3 posts (in my one and only name) and will defer to the experience and comments of the Moderator from earlier.

Would a moderator please confirm that I don't have 2 ID's. Thanks a lot.

Boater does not have 2 ID's. Certain amount of nonsense going on with the thread -- I hope that it does not continue.

I reread his original post and see where punctuation or a simple different phrasing of leading into the manufacturer's comments might be read differently.

I understand Jeffery's skin in the post with all his advice freely given....

The chiming in/piling on was pretty bad in my mind as I read the post differently than some.

Last edited:
The point Jeffery is trying to make is correct. It is difficult to achieve the separation of signals between the cellular boosters received signal and it's output signal.

As others have posted the manufacturers put anti oscillation circuits in the boosters. The problem is these circuits only decrease the performance of the boosters.

The only workable installation from a RF perspective would be hi high gain omni way up on the Radar arch and a semi directional antenna in the cabin space.

professionally I have had mixed results form cellular boosters. I have installed lots of them inside metal shop buildings and they work great for that purpose. My experience on a boat is mixed.

What we do, (and another poster mentioned) is to use two separate cellular modems on our router, each from a separate carrier. Since the carriers have different cell sites this leads to better data coverage.

We also use Satellite as a backup. It is expensive but it works.

You should be able to view the IP address - 85% chance it matches someone else who is trying to be clever without understanding how their IP address gives them away...
John, I hope the Moderator`s post no. 66 above allays your concerns.

Despite the warnings attached to earlier posts I went ahead and had the celfi go marine pack installed. Then we cruised around the Whitsunday islands in nth Queensland. The winds were ne to se so we stayed in anchorages suitable. These are anchorages we are familiar with and have poor to next to no signal. The type where you can,t send even a text message but occasionally one comes in during the night while the phone is on charge. Some a little better, some a little worse
As I have no technical ability I did as recommended by Jeffery S in his post 15. I did however convert one of the iPhones to show the signal in -dBm in lieu of bars just to see the differences. In the Whitsundays area the 3G band is superior to 4G. So I focused on 3G .
We had several phones, iPads etc on board and as might be expected they all recorded pretty much the same signal strength. Also the signals were largely consistent in the flybridge, saloon and cockpit. The boat is a fibreglass flybridge power boat of loa 60 feet. The external antenna is on the flybridge roof and the internal antenna is about 4 m below the base of the external antenna. I have the wave app which provides a lot of reading the meaning of which I little idea so I concentrated on the what the phone and iPads showed as suggested by Jeffery S.
Anchorage 1 : unit off reading -118dBm/ 1 bar. Unit on reading -95/3bars. (There was some fluctuation as boat swung)
Anchorage 2,3,and 4 were better averaging : unit off -114dBm/1bar. Unit on -86dBm/ 4bars.
The final test was that in addition to watching the signals was making clear phone calls. We were able to download BOM weather forecasts, rain radar, make flight bookings and do some internet banking transaction. All the things we were unable to do in these locations before the installation of the celfi.
This info is probably of not much use to the TF members in the US and Canada as the unit is only available in Australia.
To Isequent, I think you are going to be pleased with your purchase when you get up north.
And I've thrown the packaging away.

Hamo
Good to hear its working quite well for you. I not only want to use it around the Whitsunday Islands, but also on the western margins of the Outer Reef.

Last week I used the Wave app to test various internal antenna locations. By putting it in the main SR, 3m lower, I had a significant improvement. Total vertical separation to base of external antenna increased to over 5m. Readings for internal antenna test went from 80 to just over 100, and the main screen info changed from 'things look OK' to 'things look good'. Strong boost showing. I think I have optimised my install, so now I just need to get up north to test the limits of the unit!

It seems that nextivity has partnered with Get wireless to release in the US and Canada a celfi go model similar to the marine pack available in Australia. Apparently released in February at IoT Evolution Expo in Ft Lauderdale.
Should be good for TF member there.
I will be off the Qld coast again later this month so will again be in areas of little to no signal and will post some more results.
Insequent. We had signal at Hook Reef. Be interested to hear your results as you cruise up.

edit.....

I will be off the Qld coast again later this month so will again be in areas of little to no signal and will post some more results.
Insequent. We had signal at Hook Reef. Be interested to hear your results as you cruise up.

Hamo - very promising to get reception at Hook Reef. That has to be 30nm, or maybe more, from the nearest tower. On the Telstra coverage map it does show Hook to have 3G when using an External antenna.

I've just replaced my old Netgear 4G Mobile broadband unit with the latest offering, a Netgear Nighthawk M1. So far its been superb, really fast. If you are with Telstra check it out, good plans.

Last edited:
RU referring to this?

https://www.amazon.com/weBoost-Signal-Booster-Cradle-Holder/dp/B00RHMFPCW

You want a weBoost 4G WIRED cradle cellular amp. It should cost about $180 in Amazon. The antenna that comes with that is magnetic and needs to to be placed in the middle of an 11" steel pizza pan. That pan/antenna can be burried in a pilothouse ceiling inside a fiberglass roof.

For the most part, having a 3G amp today isn't as good as just walking outside with the phone and standing up.

Most of the other vendors, like Shakespeare and Digital Antenna have not shown a real 4G amp. The FCC has been very slow to give new licenses because of interference. Wilson got one very early for what's now the weBoost and is the reason it's available today. Getting a 3G amp is a total waste of money today.

The typical Bullet WiFi solution is the best you can get. I don't think the Wirie solution is worth the money. What you really need is an inside WiFi router and a Bullet fits best with that architecture.

That is interesting. But it appears to be a separate 'paid' service. I used almost 14GB of data last month on my iPhone alone - extra COST = $0.

I have an iPhone with 'unlimited' data from Sprint. I just installed a 32" TV with built-in WiFi/Bluetooth into the boat and I stream from my iPhone (Android works also - maybe better) straight to the TV. I subscribe to HBONow/Netflix and stream directly via iPhone Hotspot with no router in between.

I think unlimited data is the answer for most boats - especially with the advent of LTE-U coming fast. (unless you own a global boat like a Nordhavn and will actually go places you need satellite internet/tv, etc).

What I might need though is a cellular amp to boost signal. Though I hear those are not very reliable or verifiable as to actual usefulness.

https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news-and-blogs/lte-u-launch.htm

https://techcrunch.com/2017/02/22/freshly-fcc-approved-lte-u-wireless-rolls-out-on-t-mobile/

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...fi-looks-possible-as-unlimited-plans-catch-on

And actually, when thinking about - when both my wife and I have unlimited high-speed internet in our pockets that are as fast as a wired connection (typically from Comcast) - all we really need is (perhaps) a cellular amp/repeater either on the boat or at home. BUT also bigger batteries in our phone!

However to solve the battery problem, my boat's electrical outlets are also USB outlets. I just purchased extra-long USB cords for my iPhone and leave those cords there plugged in and ready for my phone.

You want a weBoost 4G WIRED cradle cellular amp. It should cost about $180 in Amazon. The antenna that comes with that is magnetic and needs to to be placed in the middle of an 11" steel pizza pan. That pan/antenna can be burried in a pilothouse ceiling inside a fiberglass roof.

For the most part, having a 3G amp today isn't as good as just walking outside with the phone and standing up.

Most of the other vendors, like Shakespeare and Digital Antenna have not shown a real 4G amp. The FCC has been very slow to give new licenses because of interference. Wilson got one very early for what's now the weBoost and is the reason it's available today. Getting a 3G amp is a total waste of money today.

The typical Bullet WiFi solution is the best you can get. I don't think the Wirie solution is worth the money. What you really need is an inside WiFi router and a Bullet fits best with that architecture.

No, those wired/cradle things are banned in Australia. I guess too small a market here for them to go through the testing and approval stages, which can take over a year.

What I was referring to is this.
Gigabit LTE Mobile Media Streaming Travel Router | Nighthawk M1 - MR 1100 NETGEAR Mobile Router

Last edited:
Wirie

I am using the Wirie for wifi on both the American Tug and my motor home. It works very well at large distances and the router conveniently connects all of the interior devices to one external access point.

While it is true that it uses the Bullet, my understanding is that it provides a much easier to understand user interface for setting the Bullet and router up and using them. This is of value to most of us that are not very internet or networking savy. There are also moving graphs showing access point signal strength and network speed every 3 seconds over time.

The tech support for this device is A+ as they respond quickly to support tickets or phone calls and will walk you through issues with great patience.

Well worth the money as far as I am concerned.

I bought a Weboost Drive Sleek: https://www.weboost.com/products/drive-sleek

I assumed I could use a different antenna with it rather than the included magnetic one. The Sleek has a SMB connector. I wrote Weboost and asked about using a different antenna and they said that no other antenna has been tested or approved by the FCC. The Digital Antenna Wide Band Bullet antenna uses a Type N connector. There are adapters N-SMB available. Will it work to use a different antenna with this booster?

Give the Digital folks a call. I would bet it would work just fine, DA is quite familiar with repeater issues. Now, would it void the warranty?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom