M/V or M/Y

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VJameslanza

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Encore
Vessel Make
1988 Albin 40 Sundeck trawler
Wondering what's the correct designation to use for a pleasure craft, M/V (Motor Vessel) or M/Y (Motor Yacht), or doesn't it make a difference? Is the designation size-dependent?

I'm sure with the wealth of knowledge I've seen in the short time I've been a member of the Trawler Forum someone will know the answer.

Jim
M/V or M/Y Encore (depends on your answers).

To me, both sound pretty pretentious. My boat is 60' long. People call it a yacht, but I correct them and tell them "it's just a boat".

IMHO a yacht (or M/Y or M/V) is something that is much bigger than mine and has a paid crew. My crew works for white wine so what I have is a boat.

If there's a protocol for this, I've never heard it (but probably will here). My own practice has been to say "motor yacht" in reference to a purely recreational vessel, and "motor vessel" when it's a commercial or working boat. I think the logic derives from making your vessel readily identifiable when hailing others in a traffic situation - e.g., "Tanker Exon Valdez, this is the motor yacht Osprey on your port stern, hailing on channel 13."

Iirc, a yacht according to the USCG is any recreational vessel over 26'. I know that in some of the USCG refs they refer to a motor vessel as being over 65'. However I think the USCG uses different definitions in different sections of their refs.

So, if you are over 26' but under 65', I would suggest you would be a MY. If you are over 65' then a MV.

Like others, I am a bit uncomfortable with the idea of my boat being a "yacht". There is certainly nothing wrong with using MV or MY for the boats typically found here on TF.

Last edited:
I would just pick whichever you prefer. Personally I think MV is less pretentious than MY, but that's just me.

Wondering what's the correct designation to use for a pleasure craft, M/V (Motor Vessel) or M/Y (Motor Yacht), or doesn't it make a difference? Is the designation size-dependent?

I'm sure with the wealth of knowledge I've seen in the short time I've been a member of the Trawler Forum someone will know the answer.

Jim
M/V or M/Y Encore (depends on your answers).

If you are wearing a blazer and white slacks it is a MY. If you are wearing motor oil and grease stained work type clothing most likely a MV and I don't know what you call it if you are wearing grease stained blazer and oil stained white slacks.

To me, both sound pretty pretentious. My boat is 60' long. People call it a yacht, but I correct them and tell them "it's just a boat".

I agree--I tell people I have a damn boat. Yachts have helicopters and the crew wears blazers.....there are no blazers on my damn boat

To the tows on the ICW I am a Pleasure Craft or Pleasure Boat.

I flew helicopters for 40 years, can't afford my own and they won't fit on the boat anyway.
Most of my wardrobe comes from Tractor Supply, grease and oil are personal add ons. Anyway it's just a boat.

Generally MV is used for commercial craft, and MY is used for pleasure, that way one can easily distinguish the difference over the radio.

M/V...our boat is a couple hundred grand short of being a yacht :eek:

Since our boat is named "Lisas Way", which doesn't "sound" like a boat name when calling on the radio. I use MV on the radio and when naming my boat on writing.

Think about it.

"Seward Harbior this is Lisas Way"

Or

"Seward Harbor this is the MV Lisas Way"

It just makes sure that you are describing a boat.

To take it further

"Fairweather Harbor this is Happy Hour"

Vs

"Fairweather Harbor this is the MV Happy Hour"

Putting the MV or SV or whatever you prefer in front makes it clear that what follows is a boat name.

Pleasure Boat... unless used for commercial purposes... Then it's a Work Boat

Could always be big enough to be called Passenger Carrying Ocean Liner

Of course War Ship comes into play

Then there's Submarine

We mustn't forget Aircraft Carrier

Hover Craft, Ferry, Tour Boat, Runabout, Launch, Airfoil Boat, Hydrofoil Boat, Bass Boat, Dinghy, Sailboat, Houseboat, Tug Boat, Fishing Trawler, Cabin Cruiser, Jetboat, Motor Sailer, Fishing Vessel, Skiff, Jon Boat, Inflatable Boat, Luxury Yacht, Cruiser, Fire Boat, Kayak, Row Boat, Ski Boat, Catamaran. Trimaran, Canoe, Barge, Dragon Boat, Cruise Ship, Oil Tanker, Paddle Steamer, Steam Boat, Landing Craft, Life Boat....... and of course there is always the much beloved Speed boat!

In modern times, and, the reason this is named Trawler Forum: "Pleasure Trawler" has also become a generally quoted boat type/name to designate a myriad of pleasure-cruising style crafts.

:thumb: To every boat ever built! :D

Last edited:
This thread only gets one word from me ..

Whatever....

Pleasure Boat... unless used for commercial purposes... Then it's a Work Boat

Could always be big enough to be called Passenger Carrying Ocean Liner

Of course War Ship comes into play

Then there's Submarine

We mustn't forget Aircraft Carrier

Hover Craft, Ferry, Tour Boat, Runabout, Launch, Airfoil Boat, Hydrofoil Boat, Bass Boat, Dinghy, Sailboat, Houseboat, Tug Boat, Fishing Trawler, Cabin Cruiser, Jetboat, Motor Sailer, Fishing Vessel, Skiff, Jon Boat, Inflatable Boat, Luxury Yacht, Cruiser, Fire Boat, Kayak, Row Boat, Ski Boat, Catamaran. Trimaran, Canoe, Barge, Dragon Boat, Cruise Ship, Oil Tanker, Paddle Steamer, Steam Boat, Landing Craft, Life Boat....... and of course there is always the much beloved Speed boat!

In modern times, and, the reason this is named Trawler Forum: "Pleasure Trawler" has also become a generally quoted boat type/name to designate a myriad of pleasure-cruising style crafts.

:thumb: To every boat ever built! :D

We named the Grady White SS 319 Becuna in honor of Dad.
Still hoping it doesn't dive

Pleasure boat manufacturers call them MY. I feel silly calling my boat a MY, MV works just fine.

Generally MV is used for commercial craft, and MY is used for pleasure, that way one can easily distinguish the difference over the radio.

I think this makes a lot of sense.

I usually just call her by name and add 35 footer.

For all my aviation years we always said "N...." is a helicopter, Kingair, Lear 31 or 40 or whatever so folks would know what to expect.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom