View Single Post
Old 02-12-2017, 01:49 PM   #1
steve3377
Veteran Member

City: Shelbyville, TN
Vessel Name: Gimmie The Keys
Vessel Model: Trophy 2502
So many to choose from...

Hello everyone...My wife and I are still a couple years away from selling the house and buying our floating home but we've been internet educating ourselves and viewing trawlers and motor yachts for sale on line for quite some time. When I describe to you what Ive seen and like and what is important to us, Im hoping some of you with REAL Trawler/Motor Yacht experience might have some thoughts, recommendations and considerations for us regarding yacht manufacturers, engine manufacturers, etc... So....what we seem to be drawn to is the 40'-50' sun deck with aft queen birth and cockpit for easy line handling, swimming, diving etc. As I view yachts with these amenities we seem to be drawn toward Tollycraft, Carver, Jefferson, Marine Trader and a couple others. Firstly, of the 4 manufacturers listed above, is there one (or more) that for some reason you would say to eliminate based on general quality, craftsmanship or any other reason? I should mention that our desire is to do costal cruising and island hoping through the Bahamas. As for Diesel engines...Im seeing Cat, Detroit, Lehman, Ford and Volvo's...again from your experience is there one or more that we should steer away from and why? The yachts that will fit our price point (under $150,000) seem to be in the mid 80's to late 90's model years. Our other desire/goal is to cruise and travel at the most economical speed possible. We wont be in any hurry and 8 kt's is OK...but will any of these boats have any issues with lower RPM's and speed as Ive noticed many posting higher "cruising speeds". Im sorry in advance if I've posted this in the wrong place and Im sorry its so lengthy. Thank you in advance for you time and responses.

Steve & Terri Mills
Shelbyville TN/ Tavernier FL
steve3377 is offline   Reply With Quote