View Single Post
Old 02-11-2017, 07:47 PM   #13
Martin J
Guru

City: Mt Crested Butte
Vessel Name: Artemis
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 67
I have nothing but admiration for the USCG rescue services, They are incredibly well trained. But I believe you missed my context, there is a limit to the distance they travel and can cover. True ocean passage making requires a certain mental apptitude towards self reliance Sure if a problem arises and cannot be contained I'd be one of the first to pick up a radio and seek help as any mariner would.

As the saying "stepping up into the liferaft" is a saying for make sure you need to . If we had a problem on board. Or it was were even remotely needed to abnadon ship, believe me the abandon bag etc and liferaft would be fully prepared etc and awaiting that final decision to deploy long before the decision to deploy was taken.

There have been many instances of people abandoning boats at sea ( not such much coastal) and the boat survives but they don't. The Fastnet was sadly where lots of undertrained people sailing in a race that they should not have been. And was used as an example that a liferaft is not always the best option if you do not need to abandon.

Thankfully over the deacdes since, the crew experience and training has been tightened up considerably for all major ocean and offshore races.

As by the sound of it you have considerable experience in maritime affairs. You yourself must have set your own criteria when the vessel becomes unsafe/uninhabitable, and safty/succor is best in the liferaft etc.

I know over the years I take my responsibility to the lives of my crew and guests live very seriously. Wether Cruising through the Caribbean or 350mls offshore on an ocean race.
Martin J is offline   Reply With Quote