Playing With The New Camera

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
Got a Nikon D7200 as part of my retirement gift. I added a nice 18-300 lens.

Finally got a chance to read some of the 350 page manual and play with it this evening.

The wind was howling around here and the tripod and camera were moving a wee bit, so I am sure I can improve substantially especially when I learn more of the camera and what it can do.

Attachments

• Moon2.JPG
    Moon2.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 69
Greetings,
Mr. m. Impressive indeed. I'm SO far out of the loop with new equipment, including the photographic stuff, it's embarrassing. Used to do a lot of B/W photography and developing way, way back in the college days when SLR's were state of the art and new to the market. Still got the ole' OM-1 but I doubt I'll ever use it or be able to buy film for it in the near future...The Admiral's TELEPHONE takes better pictures than I ever did.

Greetings,
Mr. m. Impressive indeed. I'm SO far out of the loop with new equipment, including the photographic stuff, it's embarrassing. Used to do a lot of B/W photography and developing way, way back in the college days when SLR's were state of the art and new to the market. Still got the ole' OM-1 but I doubt I'll ever use it or be able to buy film for it in the near future...The Admiral's TELEPHONE takes better pictures than I ever did.

I am younger than you but still have the same feeling of being out of the loop with modern photography. I gave up film years ago and have used a nice DSLR. Now I find that the mirrorless cameras do an amazing job. I may end up buying a mirrorless camera that I can get an adaptor with so I can use my existing glass.

Got a Nikon D7200 as part of my retirement gift. I added a nice 18-300 lens.

Finally got a chance to read some of the 350 page manual and play with it this evening.

The wind was howling around here and the tripod and camera were moving a wee bit, so I am sure I can improve substantially especially when I learn more of the camera and what it can do.

With an average distance Earth and Moon of 240,000 miles, your shoot is good, proof of high quality of camera & lens.

Last edited:
With a closest Earth and Uranus distance of at least 1.6 billion miles, your shoot is impressive, proof of high quality of camera & lens :thumb:

Pilou, it's the moon! :D

Have no fear RT, even though Kodak cratered Ilford is still going strong making film and paper products :thumb:

I joined the digital herd a couple years ago, picking up a Fujifilm X-E2 mirrorless rangefinder(ish) camera...but an X-T2 is on the horizon.

One thing I like about the Fujifilm X series cameras is that they use an X-Trans CMOS sensor. Other cameras use Bayer array sensors which need an optical low pass filter between the lens and sensor to remove moire (sensor caused interference when complex repeating patterns confuse the sensor). The Fujifilm X-Trans sensor doesn't need the pre-filter, so aren't "fuzzy" right off the bat.

https://www.fujifilm.eu/uk/products...l/x-pro1/features-4483/aps-c-16m-x-trans-cmos

Another thing is that it has a shutter speed dial, and an aperture ring! Just like the real cameras that real photographers used to use! I keep mine in manual mode all the time, and love it.

I call it a rangefinder(ish) camera because the viewfinder doesn't show an optical image, but a video image. The killer app is that when you change the shutter speed or aperture, the viewfinder shows how those changes will effect the image by getting brighter or darker as adjustments are made. No more taking a picture then having to look at the screen on the cameras back to see if it worked out.

That, and I don't want/need a gazillion functions!!!!

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. MM. I'm afraid my dark room time is limited to not turning on the bathroom light for my 0'dark 30 visits and I expect it to remain so in the future. Too much to do, too little time (See how this refers to the retirement thread? Clever huh?)

Hi Menzies,

Just checked the D7200 and it has no optical low pass filter either :thumb:

My wife's camera has one, and it sometimes gets dust specs on the pre-filter which results in out of focus blobs in even toned areas like skies, which is annoying to say the least!

Resolution tests done at DP Review show that 16 mega pixel cameras without low pass filters are as sharp as 24 megapixel cameras with low pass filters...

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-x-pro1/18

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond7000/13

...so your 24 mega pixel camera is probably as sharp as a 36 mega pixel camera with the pre-filter.

I'm looking forward to comparing digital prints made from scans of my 4x5 negatives and digital prints made from a Fujifilm X-T2 in Acros B&W mode at a 16X20 print size, and comparing both of those to wet darkroom prints from the 4X5's. Once that is done, if the latter compares favourably (or has characteristics which lends itself to the photogravure process) I might not need to lug 25 pounds of large format gear through the bush anymore!!!

We'll see...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom