View Single Post
Old 02-10-2017, 11:56 AM   #11
BandB
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
I'm sure this goes beyond what others here will do, but here it is:

From Machineryspaces.com:

Safety standards

-All Engine Room Staff must be suitably dressed and must wear coveralls, safety shoes, gloves, goggles and helmets as per the VMS PPE matrix.

-Engine Room and machinery spaces must be kept clean, tidy and as free as possible from oil/fuel stains or sources, all of which must be identified and eliminated.

-To prevent fires, any possible source of uncontrollable heat must be protected and any fuel leakage must be cleaned up and the source identified and eliminated.

Now, for a practical matter, here's what we require:

-If engines are running, always use ear protection.
-Always wear coveralls. They're kept right at the entrance and slipped on over clothing.
-If working on hot engines always wear protective gloves. If engines aren't hot, wear lighter weight gloves.
-Wear shoes. If handling heavy items such as batteries, safety shoes.
-If engines are running or if working with fluids, always wear goggles.

As to the other points, I'm a stickler for neatness and organization of an engine room. This comes from decades in manufacturing and dealing with safety requirements. I handle things as if OSHA was there looking over my shoulder. Any oils or fuel leakage must be identified and cleaned immediately. Nothing is left where it can slide around, everything secured, all drawers and cabinets secured.

I'm not pushing everyone to go as far as we do, but I would encourage considering each point and determining what is appropriate. Most of the engine room injuries are preventable. And, please do not overlook the ear protection just because it doesn't prevent damage you immediately feel.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote