Just bought a 1970 Defever 50' Woodie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

don_macarthur

Vessel Name
Excalibur
Vessel Make
1970 Defever 50
Hi Folks,
I'm new to the group and have recently purchased a trawler in the Northwest. It's definitely a project boat and needs a bunch of work. We're hoping to bring her back to cruising shape over the next few years starting with the hull. Her name plate info is DEFEVER OFFSHORE CRUISER 22. I believe the hull number is 52973. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this boat. We tracked it back a ways but there are lots of blank spots. It apparently came down from Alaska to Washington last year.

I'd also appreciate hearing from anyone who has/had a one of these boats and would like to share any experiences with doing work on her.

Thanks!

Attachments

• DSC_1800.jpg
    DSC_1800.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 220
Congratulations and good luck with your project.

Hello hello,

That you first boat?
Did you all ready had wooden boat before?

Hugues

Had wooden boats in the family, as I grew up in Nova Scotia, but this is the first planked hull I've had. Like I said, she's a project for me over the coming years.

Had wooden boats in the family, as I grew up in Nova Scotia, but this is the first planked hull I've had. Like I said, she's a project for me over the coming years.

:thumb: I think wooden boat this is fine if you know what it is and what you buy :D

have fun in your project :thumb:

Hi Don,

Lots of woodys in the waters here in the PNW and a bit of a cult following. Is she moored in BC or the US?

If you have a chance head over to Pt Townsend, it's a place of wooden boat craftsmen and a wealth of knowledge.

If you are in Bellingham anytime look us up. I will pm contact info.

Cheers,
Bob & Jill

Thanks for the post Bob_Cofer I can understand these trawlers having a following. We've only had her a little while and she has engendered a lot of loyalty already :) It's daunting since I have an idea of the scope of the work we'll need to bring her back...

She's moored in LaConner right now, we go past Bellingham every few weeks or so to check on her, so do pm me and we can grab a coffee and chat.

The plan is to bring her to Vancouver in the spring and put her on the hard to tackle the hull issues -- of which there are many. On the plus side she's tight underwater and the mechanicals are still pretty solid.

Welcome Don! Don't forget to take us on your project adventure by creating a thread and posting your progress with lots of pictures....

Welcome aboard Don.
I second the suggestion to join the DeFever Cruisers Club, lots of good info available and great people. You can find some very knowledgeable members on the forum.:)

Bill

Welcome aboard. Have a great time with her and if needed feel free to send a PM with any questions.

Jim

Hi Folks,
I'm new to the group and have recently purchased a trawler in the Northwest. It's definitely a project boat and needs a bunch of work. We're hoping to bring her back to cruising shape over the next few years starting with the hull. Her name plate info is DEFEVER OFFSHORE CRUISER 22. I believe the hull number is 52973. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this boat. We tracked it back a ways but there are lots of blank spots. It apparently came down from Alaska to Washington last year.

I'd also appreciate hearing from anyone who has/had a one of these boats and would like to share any experiences with doing work on her.

Thanks!

I am a relatively new owner of the same boat #21. do you still have the vessel?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom