Outboard powered Trawlers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
While in route from Indiantown FL to Stuart, FL on the east coast, I came across this backyard built, trailer-able trawlette set up for single or twin outboards. All glass, it must have been a lot of careful labor, but it was on its way to Indiantown to be sold. Reportedly, the hull design is a proven Wellcraft 25. No more to be built, so the owner/builder says...so, one of a kind.

Wonder what inside looks like?

Wonder cruise and top speeds?

Best mileage at hull speed or just below using one o/b?

Seems it could be a fairly nice pocket trawler!

The pictures in the OP seem to me to be very similar to an alaskan pilot house offshore such as a wooldridge or duckworth or kingfisher and so on.

Wonder what inside looks like?

Wonder cruise and top speeds?

Best mileage at hull speed or just below using one o/b?

Seems it could be a fairly nice pocket trawler!

Art: Inside is unfinished, although walls are there to do what you wish. Handling and speed, who knows, but a heavy 25 ft. Wellcraft might be similar in behavior. The whole thing seems to be of good quality build.

IF you want a boat that can either have the engine easily changed or converted to an outboard , I would look at older sail boats .The old engine comes out of a cockpit hatch.

Yes ,you are down IN the boat rather than up 2-3 stories looking at the water, but the price is right ,the construction is better, and usually the sea keeping /sea worthyness is far better than a powered roomaran.

"Roomaran", you just made me snort my coffee!
The things I learn on this site...:):):)
Bruce

While in route from Indiantown FL to Stuart, FL on the east coast, I came across this backyard built, trailer-able trawlette set up for single or twin outboards. All glass, it must have been a lot of careful labor, but it was on its way to Indiantown to be sold. Reportedly, the hull design is a proven Wellcraft 25. No more to be built, so the owner/builder says...so, one of a kind.

I would be very curious about the handling of this boat. The hull looks like the 25' 1989 Wellcraft Sportsman that was in our family for 16 years and while it was a great boat, it was sensitive to trim (trim tabs were a must)and tender at rest due to it's 18 degree deadrise. It handled a head sea great and it was a fine hull for its purpose. It had a 260 hp mercruiser I/O which provided which placed ~1000 lbs down low. Many of these boats were outboard powered so they had a higher center of gravity but this trawler configuration would raise the CG quite a bit. The cockpit deck on ours was only a 2-5" inches above the waterline and the deck was about 10" higher than the cockpit but was well bellow the gunnel height. This trawler would significantly raise the height of the live loads. I am also curious how much the superstructure weights.

Edit: Looking at the pictures again, I really can't tell what the deck heights are inside the cabin. The superstructure may look higher than it really is due to the camera angle.

Last edited:
Once again and all through this long thread and many similar threads the over ridding question is what is a trawler and what is not. Many boats discussed here would easily fit into other categories. The big problem is we can not define what is a trawler with any accuracy so we can't say what is not. I see no problem with OB power on a big or medium or pocket cruising boat I am not sure I would consider many a trawler. In some cases are we dealing with a boat well suited to cruising or a hybrid and of course it does not matter to the boat owner. While there are no standards for a trawler there are some boats that seem to stretch the non existent definition farther than others. Soon the 200 HP diesel OB engines being developed and soon marketed will change the whole concept of OB powered cruising boats.

Once again and all through this long thread and many similar threads the over ridding question is what is a trawler and what is not. Many boats discussed here would easily fit into other categories. The big problem is we can not define what is a trawler with any accuracy so we can't say what is not. I see no problem with OB power on a big or medium or pocket cruising boat I am not sure I would consider many a trawler. In some cases are we dealing with a boat well suited to cruising or a hybrid and of course it does not matter to the boat owner. While there are no standards for a trawler there are some boats that seem to stretch the non existent definition farther than others. Soon the 200 HP diesel OB engines being developed and soon marketed will change the whole concept of OB powered cruising boats.

OB's will be an aft intrusion placement regarding play-time-space/COG-weight-distribution/back-collision factors. Unless of course... a through hull opening/conduit were to be placed somewhere inside the boat. If the through hull conduit was to be placed then it seems that due to hull/keel needs there would be requirement for twin screw o/b's in order to keep port/starboard thrusts equalized. Sound and exhaust could be a problem. Ease of service top ends may be easy. Haul out for replacement may be made easy by having hatch directly above. Prop and gear areas would probably stay in water and need to be constructed thusly.

:popcorn: :whistling:

OB's will be an aft intrusion placement regarding play-time-space/COG-weight-distribution/back-collision factors. Unless of course... a through hull opening/conduit were to be placed somewhere inside the boat. If the through hull conduit was to be placed then it seems that due to hull/keel needs there would be requirement for twin screw o/b's in order to keep port/starboard thrusts equalized. Sound and exhaust could be a problem. Ease of service top ends may be easy. Haul out for replacement may be made easy by having hatch directly above. Prop and gear areas would probably stay in water and need to be constructed thusly.

Could you translate this into Dick and Jane language for the sake of us old folks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art
OB's will be an aft intrusion placement regarding play-time-space [swim step] /COG [center of gravity] -weight-distribution/back-collision [maneuvers in reverse] factors. Unless of course... a through hull opening/conduit [similar to 55 gallon drum attached to hull bottom and open on top and bottom with o/b attached with prop in water] were to be placed somewhere inside the boat. If the through hull conduit was to be placed then it seems that due to hull/keel [space not available in hull center of side to side measurement] needs there would be requirement for twin screw o/b's in order to keep port/starboard thrusts equalized [two through hull opening/conduit to get o/b's either side of keel] . Sound and exhaust could be a problem [noisy and smelly/dangerous to inner boat portions]. Ease of service top ends my be easy [pull off o/b cowling for tune up etc]. Haul out for replacement may be made easy by having hatch directly above [pull entire o/b straight up and drop in new o/b]. Prop and gear areas would probably stay in water and need to be constructed thusly [anti corrosion materials and good seals].

Dick and Jane may like outboard power!!

Could you translate this into Dick and Jane language for the sake of us old folks?

See above:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art
OB's will be an aft intrusion placement regarding play-time-space [swim step] /COG [center of gravity] -weight-distribution/back-collision [maneuvers in reverse] factors. Unless of course... a through hull opening/conduit [similar to 55 gallon drum attached to hull bottom and open on top and bottom with o/b attached with prop in water] were to be placed somewhere inside the boat. If the through hull conduit was to be placed then it seems that due to hull/keel [space not available in hull center of side to side measurement] needs there would be requirement for twin screw o/b's in order to keep port/starboard thrusts equalized [two through hull opening/conduit to get o/b's either side of keel] . Sound and exhaust could be a problem [noisy and smelly/dangerous to inner boat portions]. Ease of service top ends my be easy [pull off o/b cowling for tune up etc]. Haul out for replacement may be made easy by having hatch directly above [pull entire o/b straight up and drop in new o/b]. Prop and gear areas would probably stay in water and need to be constructed thusly [anti corrosion materials and good seals].

Dick and Jane may like outboard power!!

See above:

Thanks for trying!!! Maybe I need to see a neurologist....

Theres a pretty good sized trawler in the marina next to me that has 4 outboards hanging off the integral swim platform. Looks pretty nice from a distance and it looks factory set up. Maybe someday ill be able to get a get a pic of it.

Theres a pretty good sized trawler in the marina next to me that has 4 outboards hanging off the integral swim platform.

A big trawler with four outboards. Well now, that about completes the spectrum of possibilities, I'd say.:confused:

photos here: http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=276769&postcount=180

Whoever you were talking to wasn't telling you the whole story. Looks like you got an early sneak peak at an Allport 25: https://www.yachtworld.com/bondmarine/bondmarine_8.html

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom