Tiger Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PlanB

Has anyone else seen Tiger Shrimp in the US? I know someone who caught several about a mile off of Holden Beach near Wilmington, NC. These are pics of some of the smaller ones. The big ones were over 1/2 pound each. They are an invasive species and state agencies from NC to TX are working with shrimpers/fishermen to study them. They are especially concerning because they are very aggressive predators that eat native shrimp, crabs, etc.You can report a sighting here: https://nas.er.usgs.gov/SightingReport.aspx

Attachments

• 1 Tiger Prawn.PNG
    1 Tiger Prawn.PNG
    140.5 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1327.JPG
    IMG_1327.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1328.JPG
    IMG_1328.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 79
  • Tiger Prawn 2.jpg
    Tiger Prawn 2.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 74
I thought tiger shrimp were fresh water...?

I have read in the local paper some have been caught here in the Gulf Waters, one of the local supermarkets has them from time to time I don't know if those are local caught or imported. They are huge! I have eaten them in Mozambique, "Prawns Peri Peri" style they are delicious too!

I thought tiger shrimp were fresh water...?

Tiger shrimp have an incredible ability to osmoregulate and can survive in both fresh and salt water. Some are raised in fresh water farms but they are indigenous to Indo-West Pacific Oceans including S/SE Asia and the Philippines.

Interesting there is an aquaculture program at the local community college. I wonder....

Back
Top Bottom