Bow Roller Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

artfulltune

Vessel Name
HAVEN
Vessel Make
Golden Star 35
My winch/anchor platform is being replaced by the yard, in total. The old platform (which split lengthwise) is 55" long and 24" wide. The Delrin bow roller was set in to a 6" X 6" notch and my 35lb CQR was captured on that roller and in the notch. I intend to keep the CQR as it is in pretty good shape but I want to add a bow roller. I have 300' of 3/8" chain behind the anchor if that makes any difference in selecting the bow roller. What I need now is help in selecting a new bow roller of adequate size and efficiency.

It just takes some work and research to find one that will fit. Defender has an extensive selection of bow rollers. Pull them up and check their dimensions and configuration to see which will work.

I doubt if anyone has done exactly what you are doing and can help.

David

Thank you for replying David...I'm asking for advice from an owner who might be currently using a similar set-up and has had good or less than good experience with their bow roller. I guess you'd call it a product recommendation. Thanks again.

We replaced our 2 bow rollers. The originals were made from some type of white plastic and the primary roller split. A machine shop that had a CNC machine made the 2 new ones. I had the shop recut the center grove to accommodate the anchor shank. I supplied the UHMW. With a good machine shop you can have anything fabricated. Here's the thread.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s42/anchor-roller-manufacturer-11767.html

dvice

Thanks for the link, Larry...I'll look into it.

My winch/anchor platform is being replaced by the yard, in total. The old platform (which split lengthwise) is 55" long and 24" wide. The Delrin bow roller was set in to a 6" X 6" notch and my 35lb CQR was captured on that roller and in the notch. I intend to keep the CQR as it is in pretty good shape but I want to add a bow roller. I have 300' of 3/8" chain behind the anchor if that makes any difference in selecting the bow roller. What I need now is help in selecting a new bow roller of adequate size and efficiency.

I think that since you're already having a boatyard do the work, you should ask them what they recommend. That way, if there's a problem, you have someone to take responsibility for it.

Many folks simply use a roller as found on a boat trailer.

Nice and robust , easy to locate and replace most anywhere.

Thanks everyone for your replies...much appreciated

I agree with this below, got 15 years out of the first one, went with a slightly harder urethane one for the replacement from a boat trailer place. Just walked in with old one and he went into the back and handed me another one, 10 bucks, don't over think it, sometimes a simple solutions is right there.

Many folks simply use a roller as found on a boat trailer.

Nice and robust , easy to locate and replace most anywhere.

Always found delrin and nylon rollers don't last. Mine is bronze and has a 3/4 shaft S/S.
Metal is noisy but stronger and longer lasting when it's blowing 40+ on the anchor.

Always found delrin and nylon rollers don't last. Mine is bronze and has a 3/4 shaft S/S.
Metal is noisy but stronger and longer lasting when it's blowing 40+ on the anchor.

Does yours have a chain groove?

Mine doesn't and was wondering if it would help with twist.

Yes mine has the chain groove, sometimes spins the anchor round hard if your too aggressive on the hoist speed for the last few feet. I just pause when the shank is 3ft down for a second and then hoist, and it "racks and stacks" no problem.

Thanks...I have to look into grooving mine.

When I redesigned and built my bow pulpit, I used a Lewmar self-launching roller like this.

product-8361-0-0.jpg

http://www.lewmar.com/node/11630

It's done a good job, but needed a roller replaced after about 5 years. I found a perfect match online for about $15. The whole roller got replaced a year ago after a 60' Hatteras parked on my bow at SFO Fleet Week. The roller got bent but continued to operate allowing a powered retrieve of the anchor after the incident.

ruYkpYmJF-5ISf2rvH-STmux7e7IiGRV36QwXniipc-NVZwNjZM9a-imwRMLhhSMByrz0hOfNKdkzsoLnhyBEgO92CrjeNjovxIklyE6VIj_Kx0V3azX1Z0pngDfieGOm6ROPBWPlXHDVORgoOLUQ6iqCSz_xCT0LizN1iuCL8HkUb4ZImQQcw8tM2Qjt98mSGBIdIxrMgkwztGPM6gy0DxneJ5DAVC7GvyNViCfZADmGQ0H0v60LQ1MU5AgVlq66jRBHl43GDejJPAKACQdZ5KYtm3k7ZQH1BDTKcIpc7MJGMm5-i2l3V_loclwe5sG-nHbhKvYiFAZ-XSlDy9qtTN5RVh47_jUkX3xGnhH7EYDllQu4ndkPDOtE3rSHa6gd2GdiAQcDmjWQJMJ8rIdd0YyOJuvJSQn1j7KihmixHgzQg9833mKRQKTuguj44zJHderIBPvN7vHTaY7oYqmLvmghixRdmxIIoRtYhRIfSp7f3-6bpqfHtxehkrvWqLUgCytRuxEUSyy0mZaGQ-K5TTSSxHs6p8I5T0yu_awrDdzlCJGVOKM5b7bB2PGF_j71x_cXE6hMWyfFBuqiNjiLD0O0XE5IqLhgTX_OgtTV067om8JPMsu=w1134-h638-no

Q1dYy7ShkIAftMZyHnjT_rHY2L2u2KpA6sahp4aYzWs2vQ8DkpnNawPTJVzYkXaNOF0SDqFcrToO1JqiMHdHQQjWlWXPKIeemSprqSUuW7EkeQW04ps42iyw5CkhLucbtnaY5Y3Sg1RBiss8PNt6OHp28XAd3tEd-8hDKQY8bGlJz4fUvro2CI4rFXFY4OFNMa5Znvje5QFofyWCwpeqD_AcwnSyHhVlf7gVMQ2YJFDeiU2b3vCbJDeybiuQU0mvoLE1vxDqrj64cxJT8QUWmPKOE2CDwnMKDPTq1LKFzXnzanqs5TbsM3_dZ-rHLyV48AVfQR6dEkK0my6RicuPMjL7Ha-Eh29ggnNIwdXErHIXc8by9NeZ62S0zSDAwLnIfrBRa8YuK0ADvDnk4RYCJPrXpO89nXIItsvD7Zj8kQuiM6dmFuGXuRiYqnbOX8hDEOc2beAUnUQXWBan6f4BWFccTpnp01bgRjRj2QXGFGc-F3_TF6QrzFBYlDsu1YK5RL-la2jO3jhDVcwwvFqQ23G_p3PrqkFxiuuVmbdxmzAcxmY9iP0BnqNlajSn6YneGp6LZrcTFyPhdulEdrqPT1uL-mfUZsKlisqALkhmHJE_VeK8OF45=w850-h638-no

Flywright I now understand why there is a "hinge" on the aft part of the Lewmar prefabricated bow roller as nearly the entire roller device sits inside the platform. (I assumed it would bolt to the top of the platform). Your images go a long way in helping me identify how I'll have the yard make, in my case, a glassed platform with a "sliced-out" area to nestle the stainless bow roller. Looks "yar" Flywright. Thanks!

I think that since you're already having a boatyard do the work, you should ask them what they recommend. That way, if there's a problem, you have someone to take responsibility for it.

This is why America will never be great again!

artfulltune,
FlyWright has a good one.
I made the mistake of getting a bow roller too small. I hated it. I got a bigger one (plenty big enough) but it has a brail (hoop) and my old one had a pip pin. I like the pin a lot more as one can remove the pin very easily and take the line up w/o unbolting the hoop. A flared design that allows graceful operations from the side is a big plus at times too. Like when setting your anchor and the wind blows your bow downwind so you're at right angles to the rode. But do'nt get small.

Flywright I now understand why there is a "hinge" on the aft part of the Lewmar prefabricated bow roller as nearly the entire roller device sits inside the platform. (I assumed it would bolt to the top of the platform). Your images go a long way in helping me identify how I'll have the yard make, in my case, a glassed platform with a "sliced-out" area to nestle the stainless bow roller. Looks "yar" Flywright. Thanks!

Glad it helped, AFT. It was one of those modifications that I thought long and hard about. I was lucky enough to have some great friends in our office machine shop who were happy to lend their advice and assistance. I also gained tremendous insight by listening to the good folks here on TF.

I knew I wanted, as nearly as possible, a 'touchless' windlass to allow remote operation from either helm and only minimal bow attention such as operating the bow-mounted raw water anchor washdown or securing the rode after setting the anchor. It has become one of my favorite upgrades and gets used very regularly. I anchor almost every time out, multiple times while fishing.

There are many variables to consider including anchor locker size, depth and alignment, rode channel through deck into locker, windlass strength and mount reinforcement, cabling, water source for washdown, washdown layout and components, bow roller/pulpit integration, rode style, anchor compatibility, securing system when stowed, etc.

I found that I preferred to engineer and build it myself (with assistance) than to turn it over to a marina employee who had 'no skin in the game'. I was also able to eliminate the high costs associated with boat yard labor.

Last edited:
"There are many variables to consider"....you got that right! Thanks again, Art

"I found that I preferred to engineer and build it myself "

Good plan,, for chain folks Skeens Elements of Yacht Design gives the dimensions for various style of chain lockers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom