Blue Angels Over Semper Fi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Island Bound

Vessel Name
Semper Fi
Vessel Make
2005 Great Harbour N37
Greetings Great Harbour Aficionados,

I was pleasantly surprised this evening to see that the Great Harbour forum was up and running. In the spirit of using this forum to showcase Great Harbour Trawlers, I offer this very unique view of our N37, Semper Fi. The photo was taken at NAS Pensacola during a practice flight for the 70th Anniversary Blue Angels Homecoming Airshow over Veteran's Day weekend last year.

Attachments

• Blue Angels With Smoke On.jpg
    Blue Angels With Smoke On.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 292
Last edited:
Hello devil dog. I was docked at Kenlake last year and saw your tug. It's a beauty. I was the Park Ranger. Good sailing.

We have enjoyed this picture for some time now!!
It looks good on a 32 inch tv that's for sure.
Have a wonderful and safe 2017 Season
Jim

Fantastic shot!

Semper fi from a long line of Marines, plus a few sailors.

It was great being back on base. I went through Aviation Officer Candidate School here and was commissioned as a Naval Officer after my stint in the Marine Corps. My wife and I were fortunate to be able to watch three airshow practices during the week and the Friday airshow from Semper Fi's fly bridge. On Saturday I went out to the flight line for a different perspective. All of the attached photos were taken from the fly bridge during the week. The photo from the first post was taken by another photographer standing near the marina office.

Attachments

• DSC03854.jpg
    DSC03854.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 135
  • DSC03859.jpg
    DSC03859.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 132
  • DSC03862.jpg
    DSC03862.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 140
  • DSC03864.jpg
    DSC03864.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 133
  • DSC03867.jpg
    DSC03867.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 128
  • DSC03868.jpg
    DSC03868.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 128
  • DSC03873.jpg
    DSC03873.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 140
  • DSC03917.jpg
    DSC03917.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 133
Awesome Pics!
Wish the sound came with them. What a beautiful sound that would be.
Jim
Very nice pictures:thumb:
After 40 plus years of turbines and jets i can do without the sound. Doesn't really matter as i cant hear anyway:)

Thank god it wasn't the friggin Zoomies flying overhead, those Zoomies are soooo overrated.

What a great experience! Those are all nice shots! There's nothing to compare with the combination of Naval aviation and boats on the water!

I've got a few favorites from my daughter's photo session aboard during the SFO Fleet Week Blue Angels show. She took a total of 1976 photos throughout the day! I have the 400 best and she even made me a book of the best 25! Nowadays she shoots for gettyimages in Washington DC.

Nice photos, Island. Experienced similar several years ago in SF Bay.

Enjoyed with FlyWright.

Watch out!

Last edited:
Awesome Pics!
Wish the sound came with them. What a beautiful sound that would be.
Jim

Always enjoyed the sound of Merlin engines as used in the Hurricane, Spitfire, Mustang, Mosquito, and Lancaster from WWII.

A couple of my favorites from my daughter's collection taken off our bow.

Copyright Teresa Kroeger Photography and FlyWright

Attachments

• IMG_1335.jpg
    IMG_1335.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0934.jpg
    IMG_0934.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_1131.jpg
    IMG_1131.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_1512.jpg
    IMG_1512.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_1596.JPG
    IMG_1596.JPG
    141.6 KB · Views: 101
America!!!!

Nice.....but jets are for kids....:D

If only I could fit a helo pad on an Albin 40.......:nonono:

Attachments

• HH52 coming aborad Polar_Star_2.jpg
    HH52 coming aborad Polar_Star_2.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 97
There's a reason helos don't do airshows...nobody will watch.

If they let them fly at all, it's during an intermission. They're like that music they play when you're on hold on a phone call...something to fill the void. :D :hide:

Never had a jet pilot say stuff like that when we pulled his scared butt out of the drink....:rofl:

Nor would I in that situation!

"My what a beautiful helicopter you have here!"

Great photos FlyWright. My compliments to your daughter, the first one is an incredible shot, but then timing is everything in the photography game. :) Here are some of my favorites from the flight line during the last show on Saturday. Five consecutive days of seeing the Blues made for a very memorable week. Thanks everybody for your input.

Attachments

• DSC04013.jpg
    DSC04013.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 99
  • DSC04015.jpg
    DSC04015.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC04016.jpg
    DSC04016.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 95
  • DSC04017.jpg
    DSC04017.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 112
  • DSC04022.jpg
    DSC04022.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 111
  • DSC04026.jpg
    DSC04026.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC04027.jpg
    DSC04027.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 93
We live in the Annapolis area. We have seen the Angels fly five times during commencement week at the Academy. I have also seen them perform at Pensacola. The show in Annapolis uses the Severn River as the flight line. Many spectators use Hospital Point to view the show even though this is not show center. However, the show choreagraphics are such that many of the off-flight line maneuvers are performed over Hospital Point. I found this show far better than the "standard" airfield show at Pensacola. The Academy show starts withe Fat Albert, flying low of course, taking a line vertical to the river and directly over Hospital Point where it shoots skyward. Just fantastic to view from there.

At every show except the last one I attended (2015), the high speed pass is conducted down the center of the river. In 2015, the high-speed pass was directly over Hospital Point and then passed BETWEEN the light standards of the soccer filed that sits athwart the river. The plane was clearly well below the top s of the light standards, probably no more than 75 feet off the deck. It was spectacular! I did not attend last years show but will be attending this year as we plan to begin our Great Loop in 2017 and will likely have departed the Chesapeake before Commencement Week.

Access to the naval Academy grounds for the show is quite easy. Highly recommend it for anyone who will be in the area around that time. Commencement Week always ends on Memorial Day weekend. The practice flying is on Tuesday, the show on Wednesday. For that reason, the crowds are not large. Also, there is a designated anchorage on the Severn just south of the Academy for viewing although I would recommend seeing the show from Hospital Point.

At every show except the last one I attended (2015), the high speed pass is conducted down the center of the river. In 2015, the high-speed pass was directly over Hospital Point and then passed BETWEEN the light standards of the soccer filed that sits athwart the river. The plane was clearly well below the top s of the light standards, probably no more than 75 feet off the deck. It was spectacular!

Reminds me of this shot, one of my favorites. I did not take this photo so I don't know if it's real or photoshopped.

Attachments

• BlueAngelGoldenGate.jpg
    BlueAngelGoldenGate.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 106
In honor of this Memorial Day weekend some additional Annapolis photos (from last year)
IMG_0208.JPGIMG_0179.JPGIMG_0211.JPGIMG_0226.JPGIMG_0193.JPG

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom