View Single Post
Old 02-02-2017, 10:08 PM   #12
twistedtree
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev_rm View Post
All - good stuff, thanks!

Not sure I follow on the weight thing - are we talking about 200' of water? its just the depth of water x chain weight per foot if you are able to take up the scope? like 50-75# in 50' of water.. no?

as to your 1 vs. 2.. 1 is far more likely for me.

Am kind of wondering about the floating poly approach but at a size that will break except under very docile anchoring conditions. (Like maybe 1/4" or smaller (my boat is < 15tons). So in the situation 2) you need to cut loose.. it breaks without damaging anything. In 1) assuming you're not getting pushed around too much... it holds you and even it does break.. you can retrieve it.

Like I said it depends on the depth and chain size. 3/8" chain is about 150lbs/100'. So in 50' of water the chain would be 75lbs. That's manageable and probably not something to worry about. If you chain deployed in open water you could have 300' or 400' plus the anchor weight, but that's worst case and pretty unlikely.

But as another data point, 1/2" chain is about 275lbs per 100', so in 100' of water, which is typical anchoring depth in many parts of the PNW, that's 275lbs hanging over the side. I know I couldn't lift that. Two people might be able to to, but probably not my wife and me together.