Bob Smith - American Diesel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
just received this from MTOA - RIP Bob.

-------------------------------------------------

Fellow Members,
It saddens me to report that Bob Smith passed away today at a hospital in Stuart, Florida.
Bob has been well-known to the entire boating community for many years. He was the owner of American Diesel in Kilmarnock, VA and was known as the developer of the Ford Lehman marine engine. He was a regular exhibitor at TrawlerFest and boat shows, where he always promoted MTOA and brought in hundreds of members over the years.
Bob was among the members who joined MTOA in 1990, the year of our founding. He gave countless presentations at rendezvous on the care and maintenance of diesel engines and would answer any question on the subject. He was a regular contributor to the MTOA magazine, leaving us a wealth of reference information. When the first formal Board of Directors was formed in 1993, Bob served as Deputy Director of Engineering.
Bob was elected President of MTOA at the Annual Meeting in 1996. He occupied the position of Director of Propulsion Engineering at the time of his death.
Bob received the Superior Service Award for his work on the Newsletter, Rendezvous, and Membership Support. A few years ago he became one of the very few to receive the LIFE ACHIEVEMENT AWARD, which is given for highly distinguished service or achievement of lasting significance for MTOA over an extended period.

We'll let you know more when the information becomes available.
Farewell, Bob… We’ll miss you.

I met Bob at last year's Trawlerfest ... a real gentleman and a huge contributor to boating. RIP Bob.

That's sad - a real gentleman, patient, capable and full of common sense. He will be missed. Condolences to his family and friends.

Sorry to hear that. A photo of Bob as VP of Lehman appears in my Lehman Owners Manual. Best regards to the family.

A big loss to the boating community, condolences to the family.

A big loss to the boating community, condolences to the family.

Well said. It's hard to imagine a greater contributor to the countless hours of pleasure boating under power as we know and appreciate it. A real gentleman, educator and leader in the industry. Fair winds, Bob.

He was a real gentleman. His spirit lives on in my garage, I have the engine he used for presentations and training at the Anacortes Trawlerfests. Fair winds my friend. ☀️[emoji926]

Sad, only knew Bob by reputation, but had several very helpful conversations with Brian when we were in negotiations on an IG 32 with one of his engines.

I sent Brian an email, adding that there have been many kind tributes posted on TF.

I am new to the game but have heard nothing but great things about Bob Smith. My condolences to his family.

Very sad and the end of an era.

Wonderful fellow! Quite "salty" at times when he put down various "myths" out there. I took his course twice, because stuff like that takes a while to sink in.

I was in what I believe was Bob's last class in October 2015. It was simply amazing the width and depth of his knowledge about not only the Lehman engines but also trawlers in general. I wish the class had been a week or longer. I joined MTOA to get the newsletter so I could read his engineering column. I want to extend my condolences to his family and wish them the best.

He touched so many of us. His foot print is large and he passed on to Bryan the flag. What greater tribute to a man's life than to have a son continuing his life's work.
God bless his family in this time of sadness.

He sounded like a guy who had a life well lived, which is a great accomplishment, doing what you love and having a great achievement.
Now I really don't know what is in store for us in the next life, but hopefully not just resting in piece, but extension of a new life.

I met and have known Bob for many years, he was a wealth of knowledge. Our community will be diminished by his passing. My condolences to his family.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom