Old 05-26-2011, 08:07 AM   #9
Nomad Willy
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
RE: Adding wood, (and work)

Lawrence,

I've got a lot of wood inside and I like it but what you may be looking for more than anything is contrast. Most all the time too much of anything is not good. I'd consider adding nothing but paint. Pick a color that's not too contrasty or it will have an "in your face effect". Pick a color that is represented on your boat often. The color itself may not be as important as it's value. Some medium greens are hardly noticeable whereas others tend to irritate. The rich and intense colors tend to look good when looking at a small color sample but giv'in a larger surface even a soft pastel color will give plenty of contrast. The very dark blue window trim on DCBD's boat looks fine because ther'es lots of other stuff all around to blend in with it but if everything else on the bridge was stark white the dark rich blue would have a bad effect on a person looking at it. For your trim color think of a color more like GB beige. I think it's actually a green and would be a good color on a persons wall at home. This is a soft unoffensive color but used as trim in a stark white space it could work very well and if it was not enough contrast it would be much better than if it was too much. Contrast is what you're looking for but a little bit goes a long way. Red Cedar is a soft wood but is very beautiful and could be very lightly oiled to almost look unfinished but finished. Varnished Cedar may be too dark but Cedar has a huge difference in summer wood and winter wood (or sap wood and heart wood) so one could be selective and use only the light summer wood. Most woods we normally use on a boat are very dark and in a very white environment would produce too much contrast. Wood inside on a boat is fine but around windows condensation run off from the windows could ruin wood visually if not worse. I'd lean toward paint that is easy to touch up and is mildew resistant.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote