Seaworthy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schrater

Vessel Name
Matilda
Vessel Make
Ponderosa (CHB) 35' Sundeck
I have a Ponderosa 35 in the Pacific NW. Wondering if others out there take their mid-30's CHB-class trawlers out on the ocean for coastal cruising?

There was a nice couple here on TF that took their 34' similar to yours boat all the way from Vancouver area to Cabo.

So, I think you can make it if you watch the weather and make good decisons.

I certainly think you can coastal cruise that boat, keep an eye on the wx and have good ground tackle. Many have done that and more with a lot less boat. Be prudent and gain confidence in your boat and crew.

It is all about the weather. I have a Sea Ray and have had it down to Cabo in late 2003 and early 2004. Then a few years ago we made the trek from San Francisco to Seattle.

Again, watch the weather and use good judgement. For me I watch the wind and time between swells.

It's all about the weather. If you get caught in a major storm you made a mistake. If you make it you can brag about how Seaworthy your boat is. A raft can cross the Pacific and a big cargo ship can sink trying. In the end it's your call risk vs. reward.

Definitely weather. Also carefully plan your stops. Up to date Bar condition information is a must for the coast. I would only travel during daylight hours.

I agree with all the posts. Certainly weather and sea conditions are the major factors. The question is, how much is safe for this style of trawler? Mine does 7-10kts. First-hand experience from those with similar boats is invaluable for determining the realistic operating window.

I agree with all the posts. Certainly weather and sea conditions are the major factors. The question is, how much is safe for this style of trawler? Mine does 7-10kts. First-hand experience from those with similar boats is invaluable for determining the realistic operating window.

The answer to that question has allot more to do with the experience/skills of the captain, and the motion tolerance of the crew than anything else.

I have a 32 marine trader sedan bridge we have taken from the fl keys to mobile so far some ditch some crossings. Ill say at 25 miles offshore weather and waves get big and you got 25 mile of it back lol

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom