Beginning the Search

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TSully

Good morning,

We are beginning the quest for a trawler. We will be looking for something my wife and I can live on 4-5 months in FL during the winter. With every passing year Wisconsin winters seem to get colder. We have Stapleton's Powerboat Bible which has been insightful. We are thinking 30-40ft, which should provide enough room for some separation.

Some wants; 1. single or twin diesel, 2. factory bow and stern thruster, 3. fly bridge, 4. walk around queen bed, 5. decent shower room, 6. open walkout aft deck with room for a table, 7. door to outside at lower helm station.

Why do I see so many Mainships for sale in relation to other makers?

This of course is only the beginning but it is a start.
Price $200,000 or less.

Any thoughts, ideas, reference material would be appreciated.

Tim

Because Mainship made a lot of boats that match your criteria. They built boats 20 years ago that meet many of the design and creature comfort features newer and far more expensive boats have today. At least that's my explanation. We're in the same boat, so to speak. Fun search, eh?

Good morning,

We are beginning the quest for a trawler...

Any thoughts, ideas, reference material would be appreciated.

Tim

Tim
Welcome to TF
Agree w/ comment above - there are a lot of MS's out there - Bang for $ is generally good and they are a great entry into the "trawler" category for many of us.
If you haven't already - take a look at Boat Search 101 in the General Discussion section.

Our MS has a single main w/ both bow & stern thrusters - while I like having both B&S thrusters I'd say either would work fine w/ a single and probably not necessary w/ twins. I would prioritize the other wants and remain open re: B&S thrusters based on 1 or 2 main eng's.

I'm familiar w/ late model yr MS 34T's (pics & info on the "Bacchus" website linked below) but would considering a 40T as a much more comfortable live aboard alternative.

Steve Cyr's website Stella Blue is a great resource for anyone considering / owning a MS 40T (this one was for sale but recently sold)

Good luck w/ the search and future adventures

Some wants; 1. single or twin diesel, 2. factory bow and stern thruster, 3. fly bridge, 4. walk around queen bed, 5. decent shower room, 6. open walkout aft deck with room for a table, 7. door to outside at lower helm station.Why do I see so many Mainships for sale in relation to other makers? /QUOTE]

I might suggest that with twin engines, a stern thruster is really not needed. With a little training, you can learn how to walk the boat sideways with ease and without the need for a stern thruster. Actually, with some training and practice you can walk just about any boat sideways, including a single engine without a bow thruster. Sure it won't be as effective or easy, but it can be done. All of your prioritys are about personal taste and needs, finding a boat that meets all those needs should not all that difficult if your willing to look hard and do some traveling. As for Mainships, I don't know them well, but I suspect they are a high volume price point boat, meaning they are engineered to a price rather than a more expensive higher standard, but I may be wrong. Similar to what I've said about Bayliners, you get a lot of boat for the money, but you don't spend a lot of money. I'm not saying that's a bad thing though. By the way, the Defever 49 meets every one of your requirements in a very high quality boat, well suited for a couple. You might give them a look. Best of luck, and enjoy the process.......................

Welcome to the forum! Take your time and enjoy the search.

Ted

Daunting task!

Putting numbers to paper (well actually Excel) is frightening enough let alone contemplating the first cruise. Annual operating expenses! 10%-15%-30% of purchase price....... I read the posts on estimating operating/repairs/maintenance expenses, dock fees, bottom paint, fuel, random stuff breaking, loans, bottom cleaning, Valium for my wife, brandy for me......

I think we need a bigger spreadsheet!!

That 2014 Ranger Tug 31' (asking $259K) is looking less appealing and maybe should cut back the budget and look at older boats......but gotta kick the tires many times till the right one comes along....

Putting numbers to paper (well actually Excel) is frightening enough let alone contemplating the first cruise. Annual operating expenses! 10%-15%-30% of purchase price....... I read the posts on estimating operating/repairs/maintenance expenses, dock fees, bottom paint, fuel, random stuff breaking, loans, bottom cleaning, Valium for my wife, brandy for me......

I think we need a bigger spreadsheet!!

That 2014 Ranger Tug 31' (asking $259K) is looking less appealing and maybe should cut back the budget and look at older boats......but gotta kick the tires many times till the right one comes along....

With a 2014 model, I'd want to know a few things. First, why is it for sale so quickly. Then, how it surveys. But a very new boat back on the market so fast, I'd have to know the story.

Broker said Dr. owned and life issues came up (I hear that a lot). 200 hours. if we pursue, surveyor will be asked to be very very critical and extra thorough, even if additional cost is needed..

It is a trade off. A newer boat costs you more up front and in depreciation but generally it is going to be less than an older boat to repair and maintain. It is also very hard to predict.

Most important thing is to go in with reasonable expectations and, if you have more issues than planned for, not to let that destroy your enthusiasm for boating.

If you plan to mostly live aboard why do you need thrusters and lower helm?

The separation idea is very important. What you want is a boat with large interior useable space for comfortable living. Forget what the maker called the model and get inside a lot of boats and see how comfortable they feel.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom