Chasing Bubbles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cardude01

Guru
Vessel Name
Bijou
Vessel Make
2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Watched this documentary the other night. It's about sailing, but really more about life and chasing that dream while you have the chance. I highly recommend it. Three thumbs up!!

Now I want to add a mast and sails onto my boat again. [emoji23]

https://youtu.be/ibP5IQxId34

Watched this documentary the other night. It's about sailing, but really more about life and chasing that dream while you have the chance. I highly recommend it. Three thumbs up!!

Now I want to add a mast and sails onto my boat again. [emoji23]

https://youtu.be/ibP5IQxId34

You can always own a second boat. I converted to power cruising a few years back when DW was showing signs of sail fatigue after 50+ years under the mast. I on the other hand could not give up sail and still keep a second boat that I day sail regularly when not summer cruising. Now that I am approaching my 80s and regularly single hand power and sail I have down sized my sail boat. I have gone from a J/44 to a J/35 to a J/100(33 ft.) and now to a 18Ft. Down East catboat one sail one string but really challenging to sail in a breeze..

Attachments

• IMG_0611.JPG
    IMG_0611.JPG
    152.3 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0608.JPG
    IMG_0608.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_0573.jpg
    IMG_0573.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0587.jpg
    IMG_0587.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 112
That's what charter and rental companies are for. Go to paradise and rent somebody else's ride.

Ted

My wife and I do both. Actually, we haven't quite got the power on the powerboat yet...

But we realized we wanted to continue our racing program, but larger sailboats were neither great at racing, or good at cruising. We decided to keep the smaller sailboat we love to race with friends, and buy a trawler to cruise and support the racing program.

You cannot do both on the same boat, and unless you fully commit, I don't see being happy with a partial compromise.

Attachments

• Rumor Hospice Set.jpg
    Rumor Hospice Set.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 106
...but really more about life and chasing that dream while you have the chance...

Couldn't agree more.

In our twenties, before career, mortgage, or having our daughter, my wife and I sea kayaked the coast of BC for six months. As it turns out, if we had waited until retirement, that dream would have been unrealized due to my wife's shoulder being injured in a car accident.

In the end, what do you think will be more comforting at the end of life...assets, or good memories of dreams realized?

You can always own a second boat. I converted to power cruising a few years back when DW was showing signs of sail fatigue after 50+ years under the mast. I on the other hand could not give up sail and still keep a second boat that I day sail regularly when not summer cruising. Now that I am approaching my 80s and regularly single hand power and sail I have down sized my sail boat. I have gone from a J/44 to a J/35 to a J/100(33 ft.) and now to a 18Ft. Down East catboat one sail one string but really challenging to sail in a breeze..

Would I be correct in thinking that your sailboat is also a Devlin design/built boat? It certainly looks like it.

Last edited:
That was a great movie, 'dude! We really enjoyed it. Thanks for recommending it.

Would I be correct in thinking that your sailboat is also a Devlin design/built boat? It certainly looks like it.

It is a modern copy of an 1800s New England lobster boat. It is something like hull# 842 a very popular boat on East Coast in areas with thin water. Built in Down East country by Marshall Marine and called a Sanderling. My boats name is K.I.S.S.

It is a modern copy of an 1800s New England lobster boat. It is something like hull# 842 a very popular boat on East Coast in areas with thin water. Built in Down East country by Marshall Marine and called a Sanderling. My boats name is K.I.S.S.

Gotcha

Great video. Thx Cardude.

mgrennie:
"You cannot do both on the same boat, and unless you fully commit, I don't see being happy with a partial compromise."

I don't agree with this statement, even though it keeps getting repeated.
Every boat has compromises. No boat of any type is the perfect sailing vessel or the perfect accommodation vessel, or the perfect power vessel, or the perfect fishing vessel, etc etc. Compromises are always required, and there is no reason why we can't be happy with this.

My boat doesn't sail as well as many do. I wouldn't be happy if I wanted to race other sailboats, but I don't. I'm happy with the steadying effect the sails have, and the ability to serve as get home propulsion, and occasionally shut down the engine and enjoy the silence of sailing downwind.
I have absolutely no desire for a "true" performance sailboat, with limited vision from the claustrophobic cabin, an unprotected cockpit, and a deep draft, even though it could point into the wind better without starting the engine.

I prefer the compromise of requiring my engine in some conditions, rather than the compromise of lack of comfort and airy pilothouse.

Last edited:
Not to split hairs, but the Marshall catboats are Cape Cod catboats not down east. I'm from the cape and knew Breck Marshall when he began building his cats. Down East means Maine. The waters are deeper and Maine sailing working craft are usually full keel more along the lines of the Friendship sloops. Friendships are more typical down east sailing work boats.

bubbles

cardude01 Watching Chasing Bubbles this eve. Very real and honest. Tks very much for the link.:thumb:

That's a really cool looking sailboat. Those catboats have an unstayed mast right? I always thought that was an interesting design feature so you don't have to worry about all the rigging, but I guess there are compromises.

What makes it difficult to sail in a good breeze? Is it the large sail? Are they hard to reef?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom