View Single Post
Old 01-27-2017, 04:36 PM   #10
DavidM
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Lou:

First of all, after coolers are made with aluminum housings because they have to be BIG to pass all of that air. My after cooler's diameter is double the main heat exchanger's. So aluminum is used to keep the weight down. Other heat exchangers are made with cast iron housings which last much longer.

Yes, I think that carbon fiber could be used to build after cooler housings. It would have to have precise, machined quality flanges for the core and caps to seal up to it. But I have seen carbon fiber masts and booms with that kind of quality. The Cummins QSB 6.7 uses composite caps but has an aluminum housing. Maybe there is hope for the marine engine industry if they will just take the next step and make the housing out of composites also.

I think that another reason is that most engine manufacturers only understand metal casting and fabrication and don't know beans about composite construction. They also don't see it as a big problem. Even if you don't do a thing about service, a Yanmar after cooler will last at least ten years (mine did) and maybe 20. Cummins after coolers will last half of that time because the core is mounted vertically and air side condensate just sits on the lower air/water o-ring joint.

So maybe there is an opportunity for some smart carbon fiber composite firm to make after market after cooler housings.

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote