View Single Post
Old 05-22-2011, 10:52 AM   #4
Sisuitl
Veteran Member

RE: Furuno/Airmar Weatherstation

Quote:
Conrad wrote:The final straw that determined this purchase was a forecast of 5 - 15 knots NW before we pulled out of Pender Harbour last week. An hour later we were battling 6 - 8 foot seas and had to head for cover; the updated forecast was for 15 - 25 knot winds on our nose. This has happened enough times that we feel an on board wind reading would help to get out of the rough stuff sooner.*
*I had a similar experience this spring - forecast 20 knots blowing 32 at Sisters by the time we were off Qualicum Bay. The weather instrument has moved up near the top of the priority list.

Not sure if we'll have the funds this year or not, but at least I'm going to have the shipyard tack an arm near the top of the mast for it. If I can't get the instrument this year I will at least buy a cheap old school mechnical barometer. They used to be standard when I was a kid but somehow we (the fishing fleet) got out of the habit of always having one aboard. If you see the local air pressure suddenly going through the floor it's time to head for shelter regardless of what the weather model thinks.

Still debating between the Furuno and Airmar. The Furuno is more expensive but looks like it has more flexibility if you have a tall mast and need to decide about connecting it as an NMEA 0183 device or treat it as the terminal at one end of an NMEA 2000 branch.

Other than that the two instruments look like they function the same. I too would be interested in hearing about hands on experience with either of them.

Sisuitl is offline   Reply With Quote