Old 01-24-2017, 01:57 PM   #19
dhays
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I bought these to help out for at least till after the drunks have gone in all likelihood. Put them on the 4 corners of the cabin top shining on rails and other structures. $20 for four and they stay put in pretty good seas without mounting on anything, so easily moved. They last till after midnight and later if fully charged...and when these batteries go, better ones should last all night.
I have been looking around for a while for some AFFORDABLE solar lights that could be placed on the boat to provide some illumination from dusk to the wee hours. I like the idea of more light when at anchor here in the PNW.

I almost collided with a boat that was anchored off a marina in Poulsbo at night that had no anchor light or other visible lights turned on. I fortunately noticed other lights being occluded by a dark shape in time. I have always been cognizant of the fact that sailboat anchor lights are way up off the water and at night it is difficult to get a sense of distance on a very dark night. In our sailboat we used to hang a kerosene lantern from a halyard low enough that it would illuminate the the top of the deck. It helped provide some better visibility for other boats.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote