A Work in Progress

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KenM

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Satori
Vessel Make
1984 34 Mainship
Fixing up a 34 Mainship purchased 2 months ago..... coming along but still a "boatload" of things to do.... Pics attached.

Attachments

• Cayo Casta-3.jpg
    Cayo Casta-3.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 223
  • Cayo Casta-4.jpg
    Cayo Casta-4.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 215
I have been fixing my '79 MK1 for almost two years now. I expect I will be fixing it for ever and I just love it. Happy cruising to you.

Each off season we seem to make some upgrade. Last winter a 26 gal holding tank and new head was added to replaced the original. I steer the boat from the bridge most of the time. We have gotten in some blows where the lower helm was a better choice. I wanted a helm seat that was removable ,easy to set up/break down and stow no some chair on a pedestal. I'm a short guy so the seat/bench needed to 39" from the salon floor. A support piece was thru boltted with backing pieces for support on the starboard side and a leg brace supports the left side. We made a back that can reversed to look aft. Wood was milled out of 1/4 sawn mahogany. This unit sets up/breaks down and stows quickly,no fuss. Finishing with poly, 220 between coats, so far so good .David

That seat set-up sounds interesting. I have a similar set up, in that it can be put down for ease of entry and exit via the helm door, and for standing at the helm. But as you can see, facing aft was not an option. I much prefer to drive from the lower helm unless in perfect conditions, as all movement is exaggerated upstairs, but also you are more isolated from others on board. I hope you will post some pics as soon as possible when finished and able.

Sorry about the side on thing. It's an annoying feature that happens when you have shots taken in portrait mode for some reason. They appear correctly orientated on my computer, but are not when uploaded, and I can't be bothered trying to straighten them up - just turn it sideways, ok..?

Attachments

• IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
After I complete the finishing I will post photos. When sea conditions increase the lower helm proves to be more comfortable. Salon space is limited with the seat up, when stowed next to our couch on opposite side we're back to maximum useable space.

Always making upgrades. Last year's upgrade was a 30 gallon holding tank with an electric head. I also totally rebuilt the swim platform, painted with Awlgrip and installed an under platform ladder. The seat at the bridge helm was also upgraded.

This year's upgrades will be an extra 40 gallon fresh water tank, new batteries, new refridgerator and new paint on the cockpit deck. I don't know how far I'll get, I'm starting a complete kitchen renovation at home soon.

Sleep is over rated....

Looks good. What's on the floor? I have a new motor going in this winter and am going to tear out the carpet and modify the motor access. Am looking at teak and Holly marine ply.

ForumRunner_20170107_214031.jpg

We have encountered some bad weather during our years of cruising. The lower *helm provides a more stable ride in bad weather compared to the bridge station. During these periods the only option was to stand and navigate. Now we have a lower helm seat. ** Helm seat*and stool pieces *were *milled out of a 18 inch*x* 8 inch x* 9 ft*piece of a*1/4 sawed**mahogany. After assembly all pieces were**finished with 4 coats of*Helmsmen**Polyurethane than 2 coats of paste wax . The helm seat is held in place using dowels and sockets, no mechanical fasteners or hinges . Very sturdy!. **Helm seat* can*be *set up, removed, stored*quickly*and neat under couch.*The seat back can be reversed to look aft. Photo shows stacked pieces on*TOP of couch for**demonstration purpose* showing combined unit height (6 1/4 ").When not in use the unit fits securely under the couch.

Attachments

• IMG_0402.jpg
    IMG_0402.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0406.jpg
    IMG_0406.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0405.jpg
    IMG_0405.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0400.jpg
    IMG_0400.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0407.jpg
    IMG_0407.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 93
Need some help here....how did the asterisk get in the text of last post with photos of helm seat.? Not important, just curious .

*** the multiplication sign *** ? I guess your word processor software

Thanks ,I make mistakes when writing but I've never added multiple symbols to a message. Seems to be ok now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom