Helmsman 31 - Just shipped to me in Seattle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It nice to have choices. Sometimes wish I had more speed options.

Nice!! Keep us informed in the performance. She's a proud Lady!

Oh Larry... there you go again, playing in the bathtub with model of your boat. :D

That avatar shows your age - and that sure ain't all bad!! :rofl:

dw - Real nice new boat - Congrats!!

Just crossed by Unalaska after being out of range for a week.

Naming wise, I'm down to:

1) Gumbo
2) Silver
3) Trump

Are things progressing towards delivery as expected?

Will you share with us the process from ship arrival, through to taking possession and mooring at your home dock, please?

What does Hyundai require for running-in the new motor?

Best of Luck,

Jeff

So where is the actual boatbuilding done? I'm assuming Asia. I don't much care, first ones were built in BC, last one I know of was built here in Anacortes. Tooling is now a long way from home.
Good luck with your new boat, looks good, sounds like the changes/upgrades from Camano era are substantial. Lot of boat in a little package.

Depends on the perspective. Tooling from US. Most below deck engineered equipment from US. Shaft system, transmission from Italy. Engine is Korean.

A container is shipped from the US to build the boat.

Ship stops in Canada tomorrow and then arrives Seattle on Tues/Wed.

I'll be taking pics as the delivery takes place. There might be live video of the ship offload on the Helmsman Facebook page. Typically the boat is pulled off the delivery cradle after being craned into the water. Then towed out to deeper water and tied up alongside. Sometimes the boat is started under its own power and comes in under its own power. Sometimes the boat is towed in all the way through the locks to the dock (depends on the charge state of the batteries).

Other than that, the Hyundai just requires being kept within an RPM range for a set amount of time after initial start. The engine was actually run in a test pool just prior to loading for delivery.

Watch on Facebook!

Are things progressing towards delivery as expected?

Will you share with us the process from ship arrival, through to taking possession and mooring at your home dock, please?

What does Hyundai require for running-in the new motor?

Best of Luck,

Jeff

Last edited:
The build was done close to Taiwan in China. Same original tooling was acquired and then augmented even on the exterior. Curved glass is used forward. Interior is totally different with new molds.

Biggest improvement is the separate head and shower which my wife loves.

So where is the actual boatbuilding done? I'm assuming Asia. I don't much care, first ones were built in BC, last one I know of was built here in Anacortes. Tooling is now a long way from home.
Good luck with your new boat, looks good, sounds like the changes/upgrades from Camano era are substantial. Lot of boat in a little package.

Is the ship Kmarin Atlantica, aka Hanjin Mar? I fly right over Vancouver on approach. Always looking down at the ships. If so I'll keep an eye out...

Last edited:
I just saw this thread.

My parents had a Colvin junk-rigged Gazelle for many years. We sailed her all over the northeast, a trip to Bermuda and back, then from New England to Newfoundland then France, then back again via the Canaries and Bermuda home. A solid, capable little boat. They also did much of the Great Loop with the boat, and down to the Bahamas and back.

Then they got a trawler. :socool:

That is exactly right! How did you know that?! At first I could not find the ship because Hanjin went recently bankrupt and Maersk leased it. I think it will still say Hanjin Mar on the vessel.

Is the ship Kmarin Atlantica, aka Hanjin Mar? I fly right over Vancouver on approach. Always looking down at the ships. If so I'll keep an eye out...

Google helped me. :). I will be flying over Vancouver tomorrow evening. I always sit on the starboard side, so I'll have a look.

Mine was gaff rigged. I called Mr. Colvin a few years ago and boy is he a handful. He lives down in Florida close to the canal.

I just saw this thread.

My parents had a Colvin junk-rigged Gazelle for many years. We sailed her all over the northeast, a trip to Bermuda and back, then from New England to Newfoundland then France, then back again via the Canaries and Bermuda home. A solid, capable little boat. They also did much of the Great Loop with the boat, and down to the Bahamas and back.

Then they got a trawler. :socool:

Getting close

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-23 at 2.01.47 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-01-23 at 2.01.47 PM.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 100
She is passing Victoria now...but I can't make her out on the horizon from here.

Looking fwd to the pics of her arrival, David. You must be as nervous as an expectant father!

Best of luck in the "berthing" process.

Last edited:
Google helped me. :). I will be flying over Vancouver tomorrow evening. I always sit on the starboard side, so I'll have a look.

Ended up taking a later flight. Too dark to see or take photos . Sorry.

You must feel like a kid on Christmas Eve.

She's in Tsawwassen BC right now. The US is only a few miles away.

I was just involved with taking delivery of someone else's new boat two weeks ago and I've done this numerous times. I get nervous when the longshoremen crane it up 200 feet in the air and then swing it over the side!

Huge pucker factor.

But I am sure it is going to feel a lot different this time! Sort of like this:

Looking fwd to the pics of her arrival, David. You must be as nervous as an expectant father!

Best of luck in the "berthing" process.

Last edited:
I was just involved with taking delivery of someone else's new boat two weeks ago and I've done this numerous times. I get nervous when the longshoremen crane it up 200 feet in the air and then swing it over the side!

Huge pucker factor.

But I am sure it is going to feel a lot different this time! Sort of like this:

My last patient today and I were talking about this. He operates cranes at the Port of Tacoma. He said he has handled large yachts a lot of times.

I get to watch these guys in action starting about 1:00 PM tomorrow. Temp should be about 50 degrees.

My last patient today and I were talking about this. He operates cranes at the Port of Tacoma. He said he has handled large yachts a lot of times.

All but at the terminal!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-25 at 3.45.08 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-01-25 at 3.45.08 PM.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 83
Great delivery experience today - mostly because it was a decent temp!. As you can see the 31 was way up there but the port guys do a great job.

Other pics taken on the way into the dock.

Attachments

• IMG_0051.jpg
    IMG_0051.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0097.jpg
    IMG_0097.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0092.jpg
    IMG_0092.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0091.jpg
    IMG_0091.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0090.jpg
    IMG_0090.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0089.jpg
    IMG_0089.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0088.jpg
    IMG_0088.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0066.jpg
    IMG_0066.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_0063.jpg
    IMG_0063.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0062.jpg
    IMG_0062.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 115
Can appreciate your joy of a safe delivery.

Congratulations! Thanks for sharing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom