New Shore Power Cord needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dkasprzak

Veteran Member
Went to the Hattini this morning and someone has stolen the shore power cord.:banghead: I am looking for advice on what brands to avoid, what to look for in a new cord, what to expect to pay etc....

Thanks in advance

Dave

Happened to us a couple of years ago, they stole the 50 amp to 30 amp splitter cord. I think that one piece was about $250 at WM. I made up a steel cable at WM using their tools and now look the splitter cable to a dock cleat.

If you have time check on Amazon, they sell the cables and splitters. We needed to replace it right then, middle of summer, so went to WM.

I'm assuming it's a 50a cords?

If so I find all the major brands about the same. The Hubbells do come with metal plugs that some people prefer.

Happened to us a couple of years ago, they stole the 50 amp to 30 amp splitter cord. I think that one piece was about $250 at WM. I made up a steel cable at WM using their tools and now look the splitter cable to a dock cleat.

If you have time check on Amazon, they sell the cables and splitters. We needed to replace it right then, middle of summer, so went to WM.

I was thinking of doing the same thing, going to a local rigger and have a cable crimped around the power cord and then locking the cable to a cleat on the boat that's near the power receptacle.

Someone posted these guys a few years back...supposed to be the best deal around.

50A Marine Shore Power Cords

Some will say quality matters...

Others say take care of whatever you buy and they aren't a lot different.

My less expensive Furion has been fine for 2 years now, shows the same wear and tear that I see on more expensive cords.

I'm assuming it's a 50a cords?

If so I find all the major brands about the same. The Hubbells do come with metal plugs that some people prefer.

Yes it was a 50' 50 AMP 125/250 volt cord. I found one made by Conntek on Amazon with Prime free shipping and the best price I have found so far.

I'm not familiar with that brand although all the reviews are good.

Found this ad on the local Seattle craigs list 1-21-17.... I am selling a nearly new 50' Shore power cord, 110 Volt. If yours is worn, you don't have one, or you need an emergency spare to connect your boat to shore power this may be what you need. I am asking $60.00 or best offer. $60.00 is about half the price of a new one. If you are in need of a shoe power cord give me a call at 206 387-6879.

I would say the major brands are about the same quality and the same price.

It's a shame people would steal things off other people's boats. Have you looked around the marina to see if you recognize your cord on someone else's boat?

I was thinking of doing the same thing, going to a local rigger and have a cable crimped around the power cord and then locking the cable to a cleat on the boat that's near the power receptacle.

Ace Hardware sells SS cable (with or without the plastic sheath) and crimping lugs. They're simple to crimp with pliers or a hammer. I bet Home Depot or Lowes carries it, too.

Yes it was a 50' 50 AMP 125/250 volt cord. I found one made by Conntek on Amazon with Prime free shipping and the best price I have found so far.

I'm not familiar with that brand although all the reviews are good.

Have 2 adapters made by Conntek that I bought on Amazon. They work, but not quite the quality of the ends on Hubbell or Marinco. The adapters are only used when a 50 amp outlet isn't available.

Ted

Chootem'. Any low life that steals will reckon for it in this life or the next. Zero tolerance. Burn lightly identifying marks and glance at each as you ease down the dock. No names just marks. Photo on your boat prior for positive ID. Tell trusted friends. This wasn't the first time or only thing but could be the last. Paybacks should be Hell.

Thanks everyone for your replies and suggestions. I ordered one from ECS High Tide Cords, it was reasonably priced. I'll post my thoughts once it arrives.

I am always surprised at the cot of shore power chords. If you really want to get a surprise, check out the price of 50 amp, 120v chords. They are ridiculously expensive. Unfortunately, both my dock and my boat have 50 amp, 120v outlets.
I have been using 30 amp chords with adaptors on either end. However I just found a 25' 50amp 120v EEL chordset on clearance at Fisheries that I just ordered.
This will eliminate the two adaptor connections at my home dock but of course I still will have to use the adaptors when away from home.

I have seen a few cods go missing on our dock. I went to an electrical supply house near me and got 25 feet of black #6/4 cord used by carnivals for their extention cords and two Leviton 50/125/ 250 plug ends. The carnival wire has even a higher rating for water and oil resistance than marine cords. This is my home dock cord and man is it ugly. No one will steal it and it cost a fraction of a marine cordset. My good cords stay packed away for travelling. As I have only 120 volt aboard I was also able to make up a splitter to 2 x 30 amp as well fro way less than the marine splitters, also ugly but seldom used.

Buy a large lock and run the cable through the lock and lock it around one of your stanchions. That way you can't steal the cable since the ends won't fit through the lock hasp unless they cut the end off.

There were a couple of sets of 30 amp cords stolen off boats on another dock a few years ago, I figured they stole them for the copper and it wasn't other boaters steeling them to use.

I once talked to someone at my marina (probably a dry stack boater, not someone with a larger boat and wet slip) who asked me if the marina owned the hoses and power cords. I'm sure it was an honest question.

I have had enough trouble with people thinking my hose belongs to the marina and it was OK to unhook it and move it to another slip that I fastened it to the dock with an electrical conduit strap. They will take the nozzles though so I have to hide them.

I am always surprised at the cot of shore power chords. If you really want to get a surprise, check out the price of 50 amp, 120v chords. They are ridiculously expensive. Unfortunately, both my dock and my boat have 50 amp, 120v outlets.
I have been using 30 amp chords with adaptors on either end. However I just found a 25' 50amp 120v EEL chordset on clearance at Fisheries that I just ordered.
This will eliminate the two adaptor connections at my home dock but of course I still will have to use the adaptors when away from home.

So, how do you limit the amps from the 50 amp outlet that you're pulling through you're 30 amp cord to your 50 amp panel? It's not really a question, more of an observation.

Ted

So, how do you limit the amps from the 50 amp outlet that you're pulling through you're 30 amp cord to your 50 amp panel? It's not really a question, more of an observation.

Ted

Great question.

As near as I have been able to determine, the panel is actually 30 amp even though the receptacle is 50 amp. So The dock could feed me 50 amps but the breakers in the boat are only 30 amp so the boat can't ask for all 50 amps.

Shows a need for marina security. ... If thiefs are after copper, locks won't work. Fortunately, the only thing stolen from me at the dock was a fifty-foot water hose. :banghead:

Great question.

As near as I have been able to determine, the panel is actually 30 amp even though the receptacle is 50 amp. So The dock could feed me 50 amps but the breakers in the boat are only 30 amp so the boat can't ask for all 50 amps.

Is the dock pedestal through a 30 amp breaker?

There were a couple of sets of 30 amp cords stolen off boats on another dock a few years ago, I figured they stole them for the copper and it wasn't other boaters steeling them to use.

I once caught a boat washer stealing my nice new "potable water" white hose.
I came down to the dock and found it missing, saw that the brokerage boat next to me was freshly washed. I knew they paid for chores like that and ran around the substantial parking area until I found the guys just getting into their car. I asked if they had the hose and after denying knowledge, finally gave it back to me after removing it from deep in the trunk of their car...I guess I looked angry enough to be not worth making more angry!
I immediately reported them to the marina and the broker and asked that they not be allowed back in the marina.
I'm sure they are still around but they have not "borrowed" my hose since.
Bruce

Someone posted these guys a few years back...supposed to be the best deal around.

50A Marine Shore Power Cords

I bought the Marine Tide brand in the link above a couple years ago. Ended up needing to replace the plastic female end with a metal Hubble connection after a year and a half of use. I would look for metal end connections.

Sorry to hear that...

Plastic ends aren't necessarily bad, but maybe they are on that brand...would like to hear more purchase reviews before I stop at least offering their existence.

Did you call and see what the manufacturer or retailer would do? Just curious....

There's not a lot of copper in a 30 amp shorepower cord and considering the time and effort required to strip the insulation so it could be sold, a thief would probably only do it once before moving on to more profitable crimes.

There are different connectors for 30 amp and 50 amp cables...

In my experience, 50 amp is two legs = 240 volts, and 30 amp is often 120 volts.

Using a padlock to secure your dock power line.

Like I said before, Get a padlock with a large shackle that is large enough to fit around the cable and something fixed on your boat. Mine was around the railing and the cable, and the ends wouldn't fit through the shackle but the line would. I assume the same would work for a hose as well.

Attachments

• padlock.jpg
    padlock.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 38
Is the dock pedestal through a 30 amp breaker?

I have always assumed it was a 50 amp breaker, but I would imagine that it is probably a 30 amp breaker. Silly that I don't know for sure. Next time I am at the boat....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom