android tablet problem with TF links

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
"Dragon Lady"
Vessel Make
DeFever 41
I use my Android tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab S-2) to read Trawler Forum. I have recently found that clicking on a link within a message such as jeffscarpentry12@yahoo.com gives me the error message below.
Error 1016 Ray ID: 324323ef73452e81 • 2017-01-20 14:15:45 UTC

Origin DNS error

What happened?
You've requested a page on a website (apicdn.viglink.com) that is on the Cloudflare network. Cloudflare is currently unable to resolve your requested domain (apicdn.viglink.com).
It is a real PITA that I can no longer follow internet links.
Any ideas how to remedy this?

I get the same on a Pixel. My work around is to go full site, which defeats the purpose of the app.

It also uses much more data...

I get the same on a Pixel. My work around is to go full site, which defeats the purpose of the app.

It also uses much more data...

Getting the same thing on my G4 phone.
Mods...Can you have a look at this?

The boiler plate answer is to delete the app and then download it again. Once you have done so see if the problem can be replicated.

The boiler plate answer is to delete the app and then download it again. Once you have done so see if the problem can be replicated.

I would agree , but with multiple people having the same problem I think there's a problem at the other end.

We are looking into it....
Thanks for reporting it.

Thanks CP, tried this and problem persists.

Then unfortunately you have to wait for the mod squad to contact the programmer. Way back when I was a mod here it used to take roughly a week for the programmer to get back to the mods. Hopefully the response time has gotten faster.

Just shows the cooperation of the TF community. Thank you mods.......

Every forum I know of has occasional problems with their apps and none with their web site. Another of many reasons I only use the full site, never the app.

There was an update to the app last week that should resolve this issue.. Please uninstall the old app, cycle your device off and then on and then download the updated version of the app.

There was an update to the app last week that should resolve this issue.. Please uninstall the old app, cycle your device off and then on and then download the updated version of the app.

It is worth emphasising that comment Janet just made, highlighted above, by which is meant turn your device completely off regularly, then restart it, so it is an effective reboot.

This is especially important in those who access sites via smart phones and tablets, as they are usually left in standby so they can receive incoming, so although the screen is blank, THEY ARE NOT OFF. Same with a laptop, if you just close the lid...as we do, don't we? Standby, but not off. There is a big difference. Time and time again, when I find strange happenings on iPad or iPhone, a complete power down turn-off and restart cures it. Remember, they are just another computer..! I guess this is why so many of us have a sort of love-hate relationship with them. Love 'em when they work fast and well - hate 'em when they don't. Program or app upgrades seem to have a similar talent for upsetting, as things gained often seem to be accompanied by something that worked well before now not doing so...until the patch, that is... :facepalm:

Last edited:
I was having same problem (use an android phone). Deleted & reinstalled the app. Much better new version and the DNS problem gone.

Janet.. Just did all the above. No joy. Still doing the same thing.

Yup. Same here.

BTW there are two versions of the Trawler Forum App on the Play Store.

1.3.18 dated 6 Dec 2012 and 5.0.6 dated 26 Sep 2016.

Edit: Loaded the 5.0.6 and it works fine. Might want to delete the 1.3.18 from the Google Play Store.

Last edited:

Same here...Fully shut down & restarted after uninstall but still have issue w links

OK I've installed 5.0.6.
It's radically different than 1.6.

Janet,

Thanks for your response. I have followed your instructions to the letter and am still experiencing the same problem.

FYI: Of the two Trawler apps on Playstore, I installed the one with 1,000 downloads. The app manager on my Android tablet says it is version 1.3.18

Janet,

Thanks for your response. I have followed your instructions to the letter and am still experiencing the same problem.

FYI: Of the two Trawler apps on Playstore, I installed the one with 1,000 downloads. The app manager on my Android tablet says it is version 1.3.18

You need to install the other version. 5.0.6.

Good to hear the new version, 5.0.6, is working properly.

I have just tried the other app (currently shows only 100 installs!). It does not work properly on my tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab S2): links within posts don't work at all, no options for quote etc and I find the layout with pictures makes the whole thing cumbersome. I will revert to the previous app and use full-site mode if I need to click a link. Thanks to all for the input.

I have just tried the other app (currently shows only 100 installs!). It does not work properly on my tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab S2): links within posts don't work at all, no options for quote etc and I find the layout with pictures makes the whole thing cumbersome. I will revert to the previous app and use full-site mode if I need to click a link. Thanks to all for the input.
There is an option for quote. It is the little return arrow in the lower right hand corner of the post you want to quote.

You can alter the settings of pictures in the settings menu.

It really is much better once you figure it out.

Did you remove the old version and do a complete reboot before installing the new?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom