My dream motor a derrated Cummins 5.9

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bshanafelt

Vessel Name
Isobel K
Vessel Make
37' Custom Pilothouse
This is a rare jewel on ebay.
If my motor which is the 6bt at 210hp was dying(which it is not), I would be all over it:

Factory New 2002 6B 5.9 Cummins Marine Engine 115 HP No Reserve | eBay

No Reserve!!! Brand new never used 2002 6b 5.9 Cummins Marine Engine 115 HP. This engine was originally purchased in 2002 as a replacement engine for a small boat, it has been in storage ever since. The boat never needed the replacement engine and has since been sold. *The engine still has some of it's original tags from Cummins. It has never been run. Zero hours on motor. You can pick up from my location or I have a truck I can deliver to you for a price we can arrange*later. Approx weight is 1,000 lbs.*

Attachments

• cummins 5.9.jpg
    cummins 5.9.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 183
Certainly a nice motor. Probably not turnkey. 14 years without being run is a long time. All sorts of things can get stuck in 14 years. I'd want the engine serial number and other identifyer number to run through a Cummins dealer computer system. Things that are too good to be true, usually are.

Ted

So, it is essentially a marine long block where you would strip your 6BT's turbo, etc and bolt it on to the new block. And it has been sitting for 14 years.

David

So, it is essentially a marine long block where you would strip your 6BT's turbo, etc and bolt it on to the new block. And it has been sitting for 14 years.

David

Don't think it's that easy. I could be wrong, but believe the pistons and some other things are different between the turbo and non turbo versions.

Ted

I think O C Diver is right on this.

Bolt on a clutch/trans and install as replacement for similar
powered engine.

Ted

Someone stole the heat exchanger...

It's starting to look fishy. If you look through the pics, there a few problems. First, no air filter and the inlet is covered with duct tape. Cummins doesn't do that. Second, the engine spec plate has paint on it. The cover it is riveted to would be painted first, then the plate would be riveted on. The plate was poorly masked off when the engine was repainted. Third, lots of rust inside the bell housing. If it's that rusty inside the bell housing, you would expect to see rust elsewhere.

At the least, I think it got a paint job.

Ted

Greetings,
The guy is also selling Humvee parts. Could it be a running take out from a Humvee with cosmetics?

Greetings,
The guy is also selling Humvee parts. Could it be a running take out from a Humvee with cosmetics?

Not likely. The street version of the 6bt is significantly different starting with a one piece valve cover, different exhaust manifold, and tbey were all turbo charged.

Ted

It's starting to look fishy. If you look through the pics, there a few problems. First, no air filter and the inlet is covered with duct tape. Cummins doesn't do that. Second, the engine spec plate has paint on it. The cover it is riveted to would be painted first, then the plate would be riveted on. The plate was poorly masked off when the engine was repainted. Third, lots of rust inside the bell housing. If it's that rusty inside the bell housing, you would expect to see rust elsewhere.

Ted

Here is the modern day serial number on the Cummins 6.7 as delivered to Tomco for installation in our boat...
Obviously it is different in that today they use decals but notice the paint.
Bruce

Attachments

• IMG_0208.jpg
    IMG_0208.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 139

Ted
Alternator and rubber tubing look to have been painted. Surely that`s not original.

Ted

Indeed you can even see that on the red cover of the top right of the picture. Looks like they taped all tubing and painted the whole.

The 6 cylinder Cummings is replacing the Gardner in the Chinese fishing boat fleet. Chinese Cummings are showing up in pleasure boats as well.

I have a new 1990 6bta that shows some of the same characteristics. In general the paint job on my motor is a bit sloppier than I would have expected, and I believe it came that way when delivered.

ForumRunner_20170120_114553.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20170120_114616.jpg
    ForumRunner_20170120_114616.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 116
  • ForumRunner_20170120_114635.jpg
    ForumRunner_20170120_114635.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 119
Looks like the 6B I bought from alabamaboater a month ago. I had to go look and make sure it was still in the bed of the dually. LOL

for what it's worth you can get new long blocks for 5G's. $10G just to rebuild the lehman and sources getting scarce, it was easy to go with a cummins.

Last edited:
It's pretty common to see alternators, wire covering, etc. painted on new engines.
Interesting Bill, wonder why? Usually not done here. When it is, usually a reman, like my Onan genset which has paint everywhere, or a detailer repaint without masking up. Is it good to spray paint into an alternator? As its common practice I guess it`s ok. Not a good look though, imo.

The 6 cylinder Cummings is replacing the Gardner in the Chinese fishing boat fleet. Chinese Cummings are showing up in pleasure boats as well.

Cummins has a factory licensed in China for the 6B. The blocks and peripherals they produce still have the same quality control as any of their other factories. A new Cummins 6B can have parts from China, England, Mexico and the USA all in the same engine now.

Cummins Engine straight out of the paint booth.

Attachments

• Cummins Paint.jpg
    Cummins Paint.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 94

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom