New member in SF Bay area

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pjwhite

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Woodhouse
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 32
Hi all, I bought my first real boat, a 1969 Grand Banks 32 a little under a year ago. I've been going out cruising in the San Francisco Bay as often as I can since then, usually every couple of weeks or so. I love this boat and boating in general. I've always been interested in boating, but until recently have not had the resources to get into it seriously. When I retire in a few years, I look forward to taking some long trips, up and down the California coast.

Welcome to the forum, pjwhite! A number of us keep our boats in Vallejo as well as in and around the Bay and the Delta. Hope to cross paths someday!

Hi all, I bought my first real boat, a 1969 Grand Banks 32 a little under a year ago. I've been going out cruising in the San Francisco Bay as often as I can since then, usually every couple of weeks or so. I love this boat and boating in general. I've always been interested in boating, but until recently have not had the resources to get into it seriously. When I retire in a few years, I look forward to taking some long trips, up and down the California coast.

Congratulations. You live in a very active boating area with many other members here around you.

Good to meet you, PJ! Congrats on your 'new' GB.

Show us some pics of your boat. Some of us do better with pics than words.

I have met Paul and he is doing everything right as a new boater. He uses the boat a lot and as near as I can tell has made few mistakes. Clearly he is a careful boater and a quick study. And of course he couldn't have picked a better boat!
Oldersalt
"Everything on your boat is broken. You just don't know it yet."

Welcome to TF from another Grand Banks'

Attachments

• Omc Meeting Fireboat Bay Bridge SF.jpg
    Omc Meeting Fireboat Bay Bridge SF.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 43
Thanks for the warm welcome, everybody! I'll post some photos later.

Welcome to TF! We bought our boat in 2013 in Oakley CA and motored up the coast to the Columbia River.

AHOY
Prepare for inspection!:eek:

Nuts! Who took my bow armament?:hide:

Oh well, welcome, boat safely, enjoy and have fun (let's make that an order,
even disarmed).:rofl:

Ted

Attachments

• unnamed[3].jpg
    unnamed[3].jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 40
Yo!

One of our favorite over-night trips is Petaluma.

Yo!

One of our favorite over-night trips is Petaluma.

I would like to do that trip some day, maybe this summer. Any advice would be welcomed. I'd probably spend one day coming up from Redwood City, and spend the night anchored off China Camp, then catch the tide at the right time to go up river. Is there a good place in Petaluma to spend the night?

pj,

stay in the middle of the slough (so-called river).

schedule your "D" bridge openings in advance.
http://petalumayachtclub.com/?page_id=73

Once past the bridge you're in the "turning basin." Stay to port and dock at the municipal pier (fee). We've always slept on board. Plenty of restaurants and stores within short walking distance.

Often on weekends there are "cruise-ins" requiring Mediterranean-style docking.

Last edited:
Great info. Thanks!

No-Cal is a great place to boat, with lots of short day trips available. Better than So-Cal, hey wait I second I shouldn't say that.

Is that a new marina?

A handshake from the estuary... welcome!

No-Cal is a great place to boat, with lots of short day trips available. Better than So-Cal, hey wait I second I shouldn't say that.

It would be nice to be able to pop over to Catalina once in a while.

Is that a new marina?

Westpoint Harbor is the newest marina in the SF Bay. It's really a nice place, and still growing (boatyard currently under construction).
Here's an interesting article about how it came to be.
https://www.bellingham-marine.com/press-room/articles/marina-profile-mark-sanders-westpoint-harbor-351

Welcome!

Many good day trips in SF and up to the Delta, hope to see you out and about. I have a 34' CHB so we draw essentially the same, not too many places in the bay where we are draft limited. One of my favorite weekend trips with the boat is up into Tomales bay, weather permitting.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom