Simultalk 24G Communication System Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andrewf

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Lady M
Vessel Make
Horizon 68
Hi

I am writing to tell everyone how disappointed I am in Simultalk 24g headsets. I don't know if anyone else has had these units.

On the 13th/oct /2013. I purchased three of these units, at US$500! None of them work any more!

They have been used very rarely on our 70’ boat to help when docking to avoid yelling at each other to be heard.

They did the job at first, but not for long.

They are stored in a dedicated storage unit out of all weather.

One went faulty very early I bought three to have a spare , then another went so I could hear but no two way worked, now none work.

What a joke $500 down the drain.

Just a warning IMHO, don't go there.:banghead:

I agree. I had a pair for a few weeks and sent them back.

The issue we had was the master vs slave headset, and the button press sequence between the units to get into full duplex communications mode. With the two people standing next to each other, it's easy to get it working.

But it's also easy to inadvertently press the button a drop communications in one direction or the other. With the two parties now separated and unable to talk, it's impossible to figure out who pressed the button by mistake, and who needs to press what in which order to get back to full duplex. For us, they were completely unuseable, and created a dangerous distraction when trying to dock. They made matters MUCH worse.

We've been using the Sena headsets more recently and they work much better, plus are much less expensive. The only issue we've had is that they get a little scratching if you get too far apart or have too much of the boat's structure between them.

Yes Twistedtree.

I figured the Sena might be better, also the head piece looks more comfortable than that hard piece of uncomfortable wire that the Simultalk has. So I ordered them the other day.

I received my Sena units today and have just paired them and they seem pretty good, not sure about the behind the head headset position though.

Anyway another few hundred boat dollars invested in keeping the Admiral happy!

Time will tell.:blush:

The Sena units have worked extremely well for us. We get a clear signal throughout the boat, but then our boat is smaller than either of yours. We did find that when sending a dinghy ashore to do a stern tie we were still able to hear each other great over the sound of the 8hp outboard even with the dinghy 50 yards away.

The behind the head, headset is odd at first but I have gotten used to it. The only time it is awkward is if I am wearing a warm coat with a high collar.

We purchased the Sena units based on Dave's experience and they seem to work quite well. At least well enough for our purpose. We haven't used them whilst docking yet but we are happy with tests so far.

Jim

We've had the Simultalks for about 4 years. Never had a problem. Replaced the battery once when it started showing signs of wear. I don't understand the button issue - you turn it on and both people press the Talk button. If you want to mute your unit, press Talk again so that it's red.

I tried the Sena's. I didn't like the delay - it's slight and perhaps you get used to it. But it was noticeable. And annoying.

I'd like to see a better product - I've been experimenting with radios in the FRS and GPRS bands and they provide much better radio range but the VOX capabilities are pretty bad and only provide single duplex communications.

Yes I agree I did not have trouble operating the buttons
Mine just failed dropped in and out,and then only worked one way,then all failed.
The headset was very uncomfortable on your ear as well . I thought.

Yes I agree I did not have trouble operating the buttons
Mine just failed dropped in and out,and then only worked one way,then all failed.
The headset was very uncomfortable on your ear as well . I thought.
Did you ever contact the company about it?

...or Defender, if you bought it from them?

We bought a couple of ShopVacs over the summer. There was a small 2 gallon one that I really loved - knocked the hell out of it all summer. It started making some noises and yesterday, started burning up - you could smell the wires burning. So I turned it off and told my wife that we got more than our use out of it. I really abused it through some tank prep and cleaning. She contacted ShopVac and told them the story - they told her they were shipping us an entire new motor assembly. Sometimes, it's a good idea to give the manufacturer a chance.

Yes I have contacted Eartec the manufacturer but only recently.
I do not really expect them to do anything as they a few years s now and I should have done something as soon as I started having problems, so my bad luck I guess

I have.not heard from them as yet

Will report if any news.

I tried the Sena's. I didn't like the delay - it's slight and perhaps you get used to it. But it was noticeable. And annoying.

I'd like to see a better product - I've been experimenting with radios in the FRS and GPRS bands and they provide much better radio range but the VOX capabilities are pretty bad and only provide single duplex communications.

I really haven't noticed any delay unless we are both talking right next to each other in the Pilothouse. Likely I am just oblivious to it.

I think there will always be a market for a better comm system to use on boats like ours. I encourage you to keep exploring that. The Sena units are a good example of a product developed for a different recreational activity (motorcycles) that have worked well for the marine environment. There may be other systems out there that are being developed for other industries that would have good applications for our use.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom