• Trawler Forum Classified Posting Guidelines
    • We expect ads placed to be related to the topic of this forum.
    • Ads that are inactive for 180 days or longer may be moved to the Classified Archive and locked. Ads may be relisted if the item is still current. Alternatively, owners may contact a Moderator to reinstate an archived ad.
    • The Classified section is for advertising, members are asked to refrain from posting discussions to a Classified Ad. Please start a discussion thread or PM the owner for discussions.
    • Do not hijack another member's ad by posting unsolicited commentary. Example: if a member has posted an ad offering an anchor for sale, don't add a post to his thread stating that you have an anchor you'd like to get rid of also. Posts deemed as unsolicited commentary may be removed.
    • For your own security, do NOT include your e-mail or phone number in your ad. Instead request that interested parties contact you via PM (private message) to provide owners contact info.
    • Brokers, Dealers, or those with a commercial interest in a sale are prohibited from posting in Classifieds.
    • Only Trawler Forum Commercial Members may post ads in the Commercial section. You must be a designated Commercial Member to start threads in this section of the forum. (Contact a moderator if you have questions about this)
    • Don't post links to commercial sites where you are also offering the boat, such as eBay, Craigslist or Yachtworld, etc. unless it contains a more in-depth description, additional information or pictures.
    • Place only one ad per item (you may repost only when your ad has expired and been removed).
    For Sale ads MUST include:
    • Asking price
    • Clear statement whether you are the owner or non-owner (posting for friend, relative, or acquaintance)
    • Don't forget to select: FOR SALE, WANTED or FREE in the Title block.
    All ads should also include ALL the following:
    • Pertinent maintenance and condition information
    • Exterior picture or pictures
    • Interior picture or pictures (boats)
    For maximum impact & exposure, it is suggested the Ad Title include: Year, Manufacturer, Model, Length, Price, and Location or at the very top of the ad body. When your item has sold or the ad is no longer relevant: Please post a Reply to the ad that the item is SOLD or click "Report Post" on post 1 of the thread to ask a moderator to archive the ad. Ads may be moved or removed by our staff at any time for any reason. All ads must comply with site rules. Thanks for your cooperation.
  • Avoid Scams.

Our classifieds are free and anyone registered here is welcome to post an ad.
    Be aware that there are unscrupulous folks out there. Avoid any interaction that seems odd to you or �feels� wrong. Inquiries from unknown buyers, buyers �agents� and other non-traditional approaches should be treated with extreme caution.

Beware of unsolicited contacts offering to put you in touch with someone else who is buying or selling via e-mail or text.

Do not post your e-mail address or phone number in a classifieds ad.

Hints that you may be dealing with a Scammer:
    • Seller or Buyer approaches you via a direct email or PM and then steers you to an off-site communication method (text or email).
    • No posts or very few forum posts.
    • Recent forum membership
    • Insists on conducting negotiations via email or text rather than PM
    • Requires payment via Bank Transfer, BitCoin/CryptoCurrency, WesternUnion or other unsecured method.
    • Buyer or Seller suggests Paypal "Friends and Family" payment. Paypal is a good way to arrange payment but an invoice for goods and services should be used rather than "Friends and Family". "Friends and Family" avoids fees BUT there is no recourse if the transaction runs aground. Friends and Family is for gifts only. There is no protection for Friends and Family transactions, so never ever use it to buy something.
    • Declines to allow viewing the item before proceeding with the transaction.

For Sale: 50 uniflite lobster boat conversion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FF

Guru
Sadly health considerations require parting with an old trusted friend, LUCY

Uniflite 50 Navy Utility Lobster Boat conversion

This 50 ft US Navy Utility is std. magnificent military construction.

Fire Retarding Resin and full flotation.No pox ever.

She carried 150 sailors 2 crew and one Marine as a liberty launch and of course tons of supplys to a carrier in port..

She was converted as a lobster supply boat going out to the edge of the continental shelf in Maine to bring in caught big lobsters and resupply the vessels on station.

We purchased her to "run the loop" a 6000mile circuit of the Eastern USA.

There is a forward cabin with hatch, a main cabin and a large pilot house and the cockpit aft is 15 feet or so. The cockpit can easily hold dozens of folks.

Interior and exterior finish is paint , the inside does not look like a Teak coffin.

Because of her construction the boat can be converted to carry more than 6 passengers for hire .

All the usual yacht cruising goodies , hydraulic anchor windlass ,flowscan, auto pilot , head with shower and 2 ranges are built in.

She has a propane range which is gymbold as well as a Dickinson oil fired range for winter operations.

The engine is a low time Detroit 6-71 and Twin Disc tranny.
Cruising at 7K burns under 3GPH , 12K is 12GPH. Dry stack, keel cooled for minimum in repairs and cold weather operation,(wont freeze).

A spare prop is included , as is a flopper stopper setup for offshore comfort.

Fuel tanks are monel, water and waste plastic.

The boat is set up to cruise a couple , although an extra couple could be set in the pilot house with a change of a couch

This is a very strong serious vessel , running the loop our only task were normal oil changes.

That's got to be a difficult day...I'm sorry.
Interesting boat with a cool pedigree. Somebody will get lucky!
Bruce

Sorry to hear it FF. She's gorgeous! Want to trade for a nice, stable Mainship? haha.

Thats a steal at that price!!

any interior photos? it's hard to get an idea of how much space is available "for a cruising couple"

Fred, sorry to hear about your health concerns. Hope everything works out OK.

Lucy is an interesting boat for sure!

"any interior photos? it's hard to get an idea of how much space is available "for a cruising couple""

Less than one would think on a 15 ft wide 50 ft boat.

The first 6-7 ft are collision bulkhead , hatch for storing line/chain but not to occupy.

The last 15 ft or so is a huge cockpit, so 21 or 22ft from 50 leaves under 30 ft.

The fwd cabin is 7-8 ft to hold a queen bed and the pilot house is over 10 ft long, so the main salon is basically a wall with 2 ranges and a deep sink,and counter space facing a large dinette.

The salon has 4 opening bronze ports fwd, 2 sliders on side and 2 overhead hatches , one facing fwd the other aft.

The salon also holds the wet head.

Comfortable for 10-20+ outside a half dozen in pilot house , 4 or 5 at dinette , and 2 in the big bed.

A genuine fun boat only teak is fiddle rails on the dinette.think of a 35 ft sail boat , with benefits.

comes with a pile of goodies, as you can imagine.

KISS is everywhere.

Last edited:
Dang FF, I'm very sorry to hear your health concerns necessitate the sale of your boat. You have been a valued, long time contributor to the forum and I for one have gained much from your input.

I wish you nothing but good health in which ever way life's road takes you, God Bless.
Rob

" You have been a valued, long time contributor to the forum and I for one have gained much from your input."

Thanks for the kind words, I will be posting again as I create more time.

Dang FF, I'm very sorry to hear your health concerns necessitate the sale of your boat. You have been a valued, long time contributor to the forum and I for one have gained much from your input.

I wish you nothing but good health in which ever way life's road takes you, God Bless.
Rob
:thumb::thumb::thumb:... hard to say it better

Wow, FF, this is a sad day. All the best to you and the Admiral.

Thanks for all the kind thoughts ,I am as fine as ever, no problems.

Busy attempting to photo the boat , which is awash with gear.
Here are some shots ,

galley and deep sink,
gymboled propane range , the Dickinson oil range is fwd of this shot.

fore deck with 2 bow rollers for 60 Danforth ,and 60 CQR, hyd windlass and bollard for lines.
the windlass and anchor gear are mounted on the transom of a 42 ft fish boat about 1 1/2 thick.

You can still read the name.

The oval aluminum hatch is to the self draining rope and chain locker, which is built in in front of the collision bulkhead.

instrument panel, mechanical tach Flow scan autopilot , operating switches for lights and VHF

Yes the pilot house is offset to one side , this widens the stbd. deck for easy movement fwd or aft.

Attachments

• DSC01424.JPG
    DSC01424.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 247
  • DSC01425.JPG
    DSC01425.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 260
  • DSC01427.JPG
    DSC01427.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 305
  • DSC01428.JPG
    DSC01428.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 354
  • IMG_0751.JPG
    IMG_0751.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 1,709
  • IMG_0752.JPG
    IMG_0752.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 1,755
  • IMG_0753.JPG
    IMG_0753.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 1,788
Last edited:
KISS

Lucy is quite low so the engine is built under the floor of the PH.

One can get down to change the oil (hand aircraft rotary pump ) , and access storage but its seldom a requirement.

The Twin Disc 3-1 is from a landing craft and has/needs no cooling , pumps , heat exchanger .
Da Book does caution to not shift at full throttle "too often".

The batterys are under the salon floor as are the Raycor 1000 fuel filters and change valve as well as fuel tank L/R selector valve.

Never a need to visit the engine room with the engine operating , lift a hatch , check all is good, done.

KISS

Last edited:
Hello Fred we've all missed your contributions. Good luck with finding a new caretaker for Lucy. You need to focus on Fred for now. Btw your Barograph survived getting tossed across the salon a couple of months ago and is still ticking, so I'm sure that acorn didn't fall far from the tree.

That so many of us missed your posting says how valued you are. Best wishes for an easy sale, and for the health issues.

I just gotta say that Fred's boat is a real bargain, especially for anyone who desires to have a really strong and well built hull. The taxpayers who initially purchased this boat spared no expense, I don't even want to know how much the Navy paid for it.
This boat is built the way we wish all boats were built!
The original design specs include fireproof, self righting, floating upright when swamped, and able to survive turnkey being shoved off an aircraft carrier deck.

Hi Fred

I'm sorry to learn of your health making boat sale necessary. Wishing you best results in curing your ills and in selling Lucy. I've always been interested in your KISS inputs and have learned from you.

Looking forward to when you feel up to begin posting again on a regular basis. :thumb:

Here are some more photos .

When purchased there was no interior so KISS was easy enough to contemplate and install.

With store bought boats most builders want to maximise on board feeling of space , so equipment service , adding goodies 20 years later and even std maint takes a back seat.

It is very difficult to use KISS concepts on an OTS boat, but always worth contemplating when the Sawzall is out.

The windows in the PH (in previous batch of photos) were a source of leaks , so the front of the PH was replaced to hold frames for bus windows.

The big one is lexan and tinted , the smaller is glass so a wiper can be used. Both tilt out 90deg for open air FL cruising.

EZ KISS

Attachments

• DSC01432.jpg
    DSC01432.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 197
  • DSC01433.jpg
    DSC01433.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 204
  • DSC01435.jpg
    DSC01435.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 205
  • DSC01436.jpg
    DSC01436.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 219
  • DSC01437.jpg
    DSC01437.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 224
  • DSC01438.jpg
    DSC01438.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
FF,
I want you to stay but I've thought about bailing too. Gett'in old is hard to do. Ha ... your problem may have nothing to do w old. I think my knees are fixable if I don't get infected in the hospital. Then there's the other things a 77 yr old body accumulates.
If you start posting again I'll go easy on the "cruise prop"......
Wonder when your Lucy was made. I worked at Uniflite about 1975. May have seen Lucy in the shop or the yard. I loved the lobsterboat hulls but most were 40 or 50'. Wanted a 33' but very few of them were made.
Wishing you well and a good sale on your Lucy.
Eric

FF ,
Sorry to hear of your recent health condition and your need to put Lucy up for sale . We have talked a couple times on the phone and that was a HOOT to say the least . Lucy is a cool boat for sure .
I bought some old teak blocks for hoisting my dinghy on davits and some really nice heavy duty bronze cleats from Fred . Fred is the Real McCoy . I hope you get better soon .

"Paint Sells Da Boat" so we have painted -in prime- the pilot house and saloon cabin top.

The hard work is done , bring a roller and your choice of color paint.

Last edited:
"Paint Sells Da Boat" so we have painted -in prime- the pilot house and saloon cabin top.

The hard work is done , bring a roller and your choice of color paint.

New Good Paint atop old sell most things... except - seldom onto a woman. Just joking Fred... get better. Hope you can still find spans of boating time ahead

"Hope you can still find spans of boating time ahead"

Thanks , mostly back to normal, but it was October till now to get most energy back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom