I want to go NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BandB

Guru
Wifey B: We've been home and on land other than daily trips since we completed the FL loop on Dec 12. Now we did do a five day to Nassau and have boated 3 other days. We haven't been on a cruise over 12 days long since Oct 31. Now we're leaving on Monday for a long cruise. Omg I'm so ready. The days until then will be long long long. I want to go, I'm ready to go. I mean we could but we want to see our friends this weekend first, but still.

Does this happen to others of you when it's been too long and you're getting close, do you still get excited over it? I mean I've cruised a ton, I guess like 35 tons if I convert miles to tons. Or some number of Tonnes since they're different and then there are long and short tons. Why all those? I don't want to know. But,

Here's the big question for you who have done this a long time, do you still get as excited, less so, more so?

Then the converse. Hold it, that's a tennis shoe. Chuck somebody wasn't it. Chuck Taylor.

When you've been out a while, and are headed home do you get excited you're returning home? I do even as much as I love cruising. I get excited about seeing family and friends.

Omg too, this is going to be fun because this is another of those friends and family coming and going and joining us for various parts of this cruise. A lot of ours can't really get away late in the year, but things slow down so they can this time of year.

I'm just so excited. :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

Have you been in the catnip again? :rolleyes:

Ted

giphy.gif

Have you been in the catnip again? :rolleyes:

Ted

Wifey B: Don't have any....:(

Just natural excitement.

Funny, when I'm excited or really with any emotion, I show it, I glow it, I scowl it, you see it in my face, in my movements. Well, except when playing poker, I mask it all there by acting. My hubby is just as excited, but he just walks around looking as calm as always. :rofl:

Wifey B: Cats do not like cars. Even I know that and I've never had a cat. (Don't even go there).

Now, if a black cat is bad luck, is a white cat, good luck, then what in the world kind of luck from a cat like that one, black and white. I imagine getting your eyes clawed out from the mood it's in. ;)

Wifey B: So, OC Diver, do you get excited when the season ends and you are about to close up shop and head south? Then what about when it's time to head back and get back to work? :ermm:

For some of us...going back to work or ending a cruise is going out on the water even more or in a different or more challenging way. :thumb:

Last edited:
I am a creature of habit. I find that an impending trip usually bothers me on some level. Once I am engaged, I settle into the new routine and everything is fine.
When I was running my business time off was a luxury but we always found a way to get it.
When on the boat I typically relaxed in a day or two and enjoyed myself up to the moment when we decided that we had to head back home. Then I began ramping back up...
We did so very little sailing this year that we are both anxious to get back on the water!
Bruce

Bruce, why not charter a sailboat in the islands for a week to take the edge off?

We've never chartered before. Well, we actually did take a 35' Catalina for a day in Florida once but...
I'm sure we will charter some time but the reality is that with my wife replacement shoulder surgery earlier this year, 2016 was a write off no matter what.
The new boat is only about 10 weeks away now so I'm sure we can wait!
Bruce

Wifey B: So, OC Diver, do you get excited when the season ends and you are about to close up shop and head south? Then what about when it's time to head back and get back to work? :ermm:

"Do what you love; never work a day in your life".

Closed my store 12 years ago. People pay me to go on my adventures. Doesn't get much better than that. Don't really get excited about cruising. I look forward to it and savor the experience. For me, the things that have anticipation excitement usually involve personal challenge, some risk, and the need to excel at what you're doing. Add a time limit for goal success or failure, and it's adrenaline on.

Ted

I have traveled over 17,000 miles on KaJen in the last 3 1/2 years. I am provisioning now for a four month plus cruise now and yes I am excited!
Have fun!
Arch

For some of us...going back to work or ending a cruise is going out on the water even more or in a different or more challenging way. :thumb:

Wifey B: You're like Diver with your two world, both on the water. Do you get excited when it's time to switch? I'd think you would. I know we can come home from weeks cruising and two days later we have to hit the local waters in a smaller, faster boat. It's not the same, completely different experience. :D

We don't fish or sail much, but then when we do, it's exciting. :)

Nope...as a liveaboard...I don't really cruise....I am just changing neighbor hoods. :D

In some ways it can be as much "work" as play. I do all the helm watches unless there are guests on board...and all the underway maintenance.

After a bunch of times up and down the ditch....it's nice but not all that exciting other than getting to warmer weather....or back to my son and his family in Jersey.

I think my real problem is I became an adrenaline junkie with my past jobs. It takes a lot more than handling a boat to be challenging for me...well until they announce the tornado warning for my trackline...:eek:

For me, the few chances in the last 10 years that I have had being beautiful places on land...I feel like I need to spend more time enjoying some of that as much as always being on the water. Balance is a good thing for some. I won't give up living aboard, just maybe do some RVing.

Although this year I am expanding my cruising range...so that may revitalize me a bit. :thumb:

Last edited:
Wifey B: Well, I understand and perhaps if ours was just about cruising and handling the boat, I'd have some of the same, but it's also about destinations. We're not one of the "it's not about the destination" ones. We enjoy the places we go. We like exploring them on shore once we arrive. Maybe expanding your range, finding different places to go might help. Maybe a left turn instead of right and the Bahamas next winter? If we were just going the same places each year, while I don't think we've been at it enough years for it to be boring yet, I can see it getting less exciting each year. I was just thinking and realized the places we really enjoyed but haven't been to since 2013 and 2014, places like DC, the gulf coast Apalachicola and west, the Chesapeake inland of Annapolis. We limit our time in each place so there are always things we want to get back and see. We live so close to the Bahamas, yet it's been a while since we've been to certain islands. We've been to Bimini and Nassau many times but haven't spent time in the Berry Islands recently or as much as we'd like in the Exumas. With us, it's not just about being on water, although we love that part, but it's also about the places on the water we enjoy. :)

Hope going a bit further this year revitalizes you.

The beginning and ending of everything is exciting. It's the middle that's boring.

The beginning and ending of everything is exciting. It's the middle that's boring.

Wifey B: The other thing that helps us is probably that we seldom cruise alone so always other people to share it with. :D

It doesn't have to be "exciting"....

Any more than living anywhere or doing anything else.

What is exciting for some, is mundane for others.

I do it because I love being in Jersey for the summer with my son and family and in nicer places weatherwise visiting family and friends on my way to Florida.

Right now if someone said lets cruise to the Gulf Coast of Florida....ho hum...already lived/boated there for years. Now if they said gear up, we are going trout fishing in Montana (in the spring) or Sockeye fishing on Kodiak, Is.....I might be what you call excited.

A really good salvage job would be fun too...so even work can beat "just cruising". For some of us, it is a lifestyle, not necessarily the pinnacle of being on the water.

I know that sounds like total crap to some....but hey...as the song goes "its my life".

I know that sounds like total crap to some....but hey...as the song goes "its my life".

Wifey B: No, it all makes sense. Doesn't mean adding some different kinds of excitement here and there wouldn't be nice.

We have very close friends who will not get on a boat although live beside us on the water. They love their lawn and gardens, doing things around the house, sitting on the patio relaxing. They are incredibly happy people. :)

Back
Top Bottom