Putting your boat to work

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SkipperDude for President!!!

watch
Some things I caught in my shrimp pots

Octipus

-- Edited by skipperdude on Thursday 27th of May 2010 01:02:06 PM

-- Edited by skipperdude on Thursday 27th of May 2010 01:02:53 PM

A few videos of some things I caught in my shrimp pots

-- Edited by skipperdude on Thursday 27th of May 2010 01:08:32 PM

-- Edited by skipperdude on Thursday 27th of May 2010 03:59:11 PM

well it is that time of year again and I am going to give it another try.

This year the limit is 52,000 pounds of shrimp and limit is 40 pots last year it was 20. At around $100.00 bucks a pot for pot line bait jars and bouys it is a big investment.

I wasn't going to go but another shrimper wasn't using his gear and offered to loan it to me so what the heck.

I have a couple of buddies who want to go commercial fishing and have a deck hand license to show for it. so I said lets go shrimping.

I don't expect the season to last long maybe till the end of May.

So if I can pay for the 3 B's ( Boat i.e. fuel,Bait and Beer.)

we should have a great time.

SD

Skipper Dude
There is a "MUFFIN Boat" at Block Island that comes around with newspapers and baked goodies through the anchorage in the summer. I heard that is how Nantucket Nectars started also. ... Just a thought!

Havent thought of commercial fishing on it, but I have thought considerably about buying a larger one to put a dental office on and go from small community to small community with it for a couple of months a year... as a retirement gig sort of...

You will have a far lower cost investment if you chose to do haircuts instead.

Dental work requires sterile , and frequently a lab,,

Cutting hair $10. a customer is all cash , and carries far fewer risks.

Esp from licensed folks ashore that have the "law" on their side.

The best fun business I have seen was a couple of Canadians that had a 55 or 60 ft "fishing" boat.

The loaded 6000gal of subsafized CN fuel aboard , proceded down the ICW and rolled over to the Nahamas.

With a long hose he sold the fuel (no probalem , locally they are frequently out of fuel) mostly to sport fish for CASH!

The profit was enough to pay for the entire winter!

-- Edited by FF on Friday 13th of May 2011 04:05:11 AM

FF wrote:
You will have a far lower cost investment if you chose to do haircuts instead.

Dental work requires sterile , and frequently a lab,,

Cutting hair $10. a customer is all cash , and carries far fewer risks.

Esp from licensed folks ashore that have the "law" on their side.
I do agree cutting hair would be cheaper but probably not quite*for a retired*Dentist.* But you could get a couple of good looking young ladies to cut the hair "topless" and then get $30 a cut and make even more money.* But I digress.

Is there a need for mobile dental care?

The dentist I went to as a kid had a big sailboat with a dentist chair inside. I doubt he drilled many teeth aboard, but he got the writeoff.

Is there a need for mobile dental care?

Mostly ashore in very poor areas .

Is that your dream cruise?

HAITI has harbors and you could probably work 24/7/365!

Last summerr*we saw cruising dental and*vet care in Thorne Bay Alaska, cruisng missionaries in Wrangell and a cruising bakery in Montague Harbor BC.

MY little Commercial fishing trip went off as a perfect weekend that was all paid for by the shrimp I was able to catch.

We took a total of 110 pounds of Alaskan Spot shrimp. pulling the pots 3 times.

-- Edited by skipperdude on Monday 16th of May 2011 01:50:48 PM

Attachments

• img_0035.jpg
    img_0035.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 73
  • img_0011 (1).jpg
    img_0011 (1).jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 63
  • img_0042.jpg
    img_0042.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 66
  • img_0029.jpg
    img_0029.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 63
  • img_0027.jpg
    img_0027.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 53
Chow time!

Anyway, like I was sayin', shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it.

- Bubba

BaltimoreLurker wrote:
Chow time!

Anyway, like I was sayin', shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it.

- Bubba
*Bubba, how 'bout shrimp bisque?

Moonstruck wrote:*Bubba, how 'bout shrimp bisque?
Bubba didn't make it out of the Mekong Delta.* I'll check with Forest. *

Attachments

• bubba gump.jpg
    bubba gump.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 58
One of my favorite shrimp dishes is a salad mainly composed of cooked&peeled shrimp, watermelon, and avocado.* Other incredients are sliced red onion and finely-chopped jalapeno pepper for some zing.* Add some salt and pepper, and dress with a fresh lemon juice and olive oil.* Whenever I've made it, I get requests for repeat performances.

markpierce wrote:
One of my favorite shrimp dishes is a salad mainly composed of cooked&peeled shrimp, watermelon, and avocado.* Other incredients are sliced red onion and finely-chopped jalapeno pepper for some zing.* Add some salt and pepper, and dress with a fresh lemon juice and olive oil.* Whenever I've made it, I get requests for repeat performances.
*Mark that sounds really good.* This thread was drifting somewhat, so I started a new one for recipes and dishes.

BaltimoreLurker wrote:
Bubba didn't make it out of the Mekong Delta.* I'll check with Forest. *
Bubba: Have you ever been on a real shrimp boat?*
Forrest (with two r's) Gump:*No, but I've been on a real big boat.

SD:

In BC we call them Spot Prawns, but they are the same species (Pandalus platyceros) and we frequently catch them as big or biger than the ones in your pictures. Our commercial season is early summer, so it sometimes impacts on the sport fishing, as the recovery of the prawns in Desolation Sound (where I like to fish them) is sometimes not adequate by the end of July when I arrive, but is usually better before I have to leave. they are the sweetest seafood I know of, so sweet in fact that I was disgusted at the taste of shrimp caught off the Mexican coast. I wasn't prepared for the bitterness so diecided to save my prawn enjoyment for the real thing.
In BC waters we also get ghost shrimp from time to time. these are also caught commercially, and (so I was told by a commercial fisherman from who I bought some) the shrimp are vegetarian and the prawns are carnivores. The shrimp will go mushy if you overcook them, and the Prawns will go hard and rubbery if overcooked. In both cases, when they lose the transparency, they are done. That shouldn't ever take more than 2 minutes, if sautéing.

Back
Top Bottom