A Bad Monkey Tail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What kind of flooring did you use?

It was some old paneling from a coastal trader out of Valparaiso in the late 1800's!

Or,

It could be Allure Vintage Oak Grey vinyl plank flooring.
I'm thinking the latter but wishing the other.

It was some old paneling from a coastal trader out of Valparaiso in the late 1800's!

Or,

It could be Allure Vintage Oak Grey vinyl plank flooring.
I'm thinking the latter but wishing the other.

Yes I think I saw the gold nails forged by the conquistadors in your antic panels :)
As I want to change the carpet florring I have I was wondering for some time if vinyl or even engeneering flooring would stand in a boat, not because of water but more concerned about heat when I leave her closed under the sun for 1 week.

Head is in!
Next is the Electro Scan.
Anybody have tips on installing the Electro Scan?
Mine is a 24v salt water. No tank.
I have a push button for the toilet already installed but I am thinking of using the controller that comes with the unit.
The sea era conversion kit is a 12v and that is not a problem as I just have to make an adjustment in the wiring for the Electro Scan.

Attachments

• IMG_2877.jpg
    IMG_2877.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_2878.JPG
    IMG_2878.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_2879.jpg
    IMG_2879.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 177
I can't help with any tips, but that is a nice spacious head. I have only installed a couple RV heads in boats with a black water tank only set up.

I'm a bit inland, and the boating around me is on small to medium size lakes. No overboard dumping of waste into the lakes allowed. Something about the quality of drink water. They also banned two-stroke OBs, unless they meet these newer stringent emissions requirements in the US.

Make sure your wiring is sufficient as per the installation instructions. Low voltage/current will harm the electrode pack and they are expensive to replace. Our head is a Raritan PHEII that you hold the button while the motor pumps the toilet. I used the button to initiate the treatment cycle on the Lectra San.

We have replaced the Lectra San with a Purisan because our cruising gounds are not salty enough to avoid adding salt and the cost to rebuild the Lectra San was high enough to get me looking into other options. This past spring, the toilet was having trouble priming itself, so I disable the motor and we are now hand flushing, which requires starting the treatment unit separately. If you are having frequent guests on the boat, I think it is worthwhile having a single flush button to make things easier to explain to landlubbers.

OK well it's been a while. Once again it is Summer and hot hot hot!. Not too much has been going on - but I do have the Parquet flooring out and the re-used Mahogany down. This is only for the galley, seating area and forward. The timber I reclaimed off some yard gates. Cut the rot out and put the ones I could save through the thicknesser. One of the jobs I loved doing.
Water tank leak fixed. It was a job I was dreading. Thankfully Mikey was here so I had him do it! he has longer arms so was able get right down in there!! Someone before had smeared a lot of marinetex around the supply pipe coming from the tank. Obviously to stop the leak. Once the marinetex was ground away the locknut was tightened and there was no more leak! Happy days! The boat is happy on a mooring in Exuma Park for another week. Then I have a few small jobs to finish. In 3 weeks we will take her for our first real little holiday! Just 4 or 5 days in the Exumas. Very excited about that!
Even old Patience is excited!

Attachments

• Flooring (2).jpg
    Flooring (2).jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_3536.JPG
    IMG_3536.JPG
    166.4 KB · Views: 177
Love all the work you've done. Searching now for my "next boat," and the Gulfstar 43 is definitely on my short list.

If it happens to be a GS 43 that Stan has restored, you can't go wrong!

Thanks B but let's assume this will be the 1st and last shall we!
Some more photos of the Mahogany floor with caulking and different stage of finishing.
Not sure if I used the right finish on it. But it feels good underfoot. And not slippery when wet.

Attachments

• Floor 2.JPG
    Floor 2.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 171
  • Floor 3.JPG
    Floor 3.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 179
  • Floor 4.JPG
    Floor 4.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 183
Nice floors. I like the blue theme you have going on in there.

For those that saw it here my questions on my problem with the Shaft Logs and the shower drain have been removed from here and are under "Galvanic Corrosion" in the General Maintenance thread due to a double posting issue.
Thanks.

Have now installed the 50amp breaker and got the ElectraScan unit operating. With this found a leak in the head. Sooo - Looking for a part number or even the name of this seal? Haven't been able to locate on Raritrans website or on the usual chandlery sites?
Sending me a little crazy!

2nd head back in and operating.
Remote for Victron inverter now installed. Very happy about that one.
Also the Fresh water system is now cleaned and operating. Hot water system not checked yet but who needs hot water out here????

Now to find a replacement for the shower sump pump. (Pics to follow)

Attachments

• Head  (1).JPG
    Head (1).JPG
    113 KB · Views: 153
  • Head  (2).JPG
    Head (2).JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 150
I think the correct name for that is "bowl spud". Just tell Mac McCoy at Raritan in Ft. Lauderdale that you need a bowl spud. They are all the same as far as I know. Even different brands of toilets use the same fitting.

Yesterday I decided since we are taking the boat on a 5 day run that it was time to remove the floor in the Bilge and clean it properly. It was the worst job I have had to do on this project. The floor timber was infused with oil and fuel. The underneath was completely covered in slime. 45 years worth I suppose.
Checked this morning and the bilge is dry. 95% of that old boat smell is gone.
While on the trip I will put some more cleaner in to wash around then when we get back I will clean it out, dry it and paint.
I wont put another floor in as since it's dry it will be easy to keep clean. I will just keep some Bilge shoes in there in case some water.
I didn't get a pic of the slime etc. as my hands were black so I wasn't going near my phone!
If you are doing a refit my advice is after the engines and area is done strip that bilge. Ssooo much better without that odor.

Attachments

• Bilge (1).jpg
    Bilge (1).jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 136
  • Bilge (2).JPG
    Bilge (2).JPG
    185.7 KB · Views: 132
As we move towards our 1st trip on the "Monkey" together a few jobs getting finished.
Installation of Solar Vent in forward hatch.
Get the Outboard, battery and fuel tank on the tender for it's 1st outing with us.
And don't you just love it when you fix something you thought you were going to have to replace (spend money). The oil transfer pump is now fixed and will at some stage after the trip sand, paint and re-install.

Attachments

• Solar Vent (1).JPG
    Solar Vent (1).JPG
    173.1 KB · Views: 116
  • Solar Vent (2).JPG
    Solar Vent (2).JPG
    187.3 KB · Views: 117
  • Solar Vent (4).jpg
    Solar Vent (4).jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 108
  • Solar Vent (5).jpg
    Solar Vent (5).jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 118
  • OIL PUMP.jpg
    OIL PUMP.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 113
  • Tender.jpg
    Tender.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Do you remember the brand of the solar vent you chose? Just wondering if they are all about the same quality wise. Enjoy your trip!

Don't install a vent like that! In terms of air movement (cfm) those things equate to about 3/5 of 5/8 of an average fart.

If you want ventilation, and in hot climates you probably do, then install something like this:
Solar Star Solar-powered Attic Ventilation Systems | Solatube

I was about to install one. The one I saw is rated 25m3/h (900 cu ft), does not look that bad except if it is just bullshit.
Are these so weak that it does not do its intended job? Better to check before starting the install. Any input welcome (and sorry for the little thread hijack)

L.

Don't install a vent like that! In terms of air movement (cfm) those things equate to about 3/5 of 5/8 of an average fart.

Yes - not much more!
Doesn't move as much as I had hoped - but I didn't buy it to cool the boat, just as a source of change out.
I doubt a huge amount of air flow would be good for the interior out here with so much salt in the air.
Anyway off on the 1st trip today. Looking forward to seeing how The Monkey will be for us and what changes/additions need to be made!

Some photos or movie to come later!!!

You guys put a lot of work in your boat. I am on the lazy side. The only mod I did - install high water alarm, fuel gauge and escape hatch in my stern bedroom.

We survived!
Great fun to be back on the water for "relaxinin".
Our 1st trip was a success. The Monkey did us proud with no breakdowns.
I, of course, have a list of things to replace, repair or upgrade.
Most importantly I now know by adding another 2 batteries we will be able to run the A/C and fridge for 10 hours without any charging. I will plan on adding 4 which will give me coffee, frother, and a few other add ons in the 110v system for the future.

Went as far as Black Point for day I of the regatta.
1st night moored at Cambridge Cay. Too windy and mid tide so did not snorkel the caves but had a nice drift around the north end of the Cay.
The wind was a steady 15 - 20 mainly from the SE for the entire trip so we stayed as close as we could to the Cays on the way south. We draw approx. 3.5' and that makes it easy to travel for most tides.
2nd night alongside one of the private cays to meet other Managers and catch up with one of our employees from the past.
3rd night Black Pt. area. Our boss is one of the sponsors for the regattas held throughout the area and we were long overdue to put in an appearance and catch up with local Government and friends from the past.
Our last night was spent at Pipe Creek. Probably one of the most beautiful places in this entire area.

I will try and set aside some time and put together the photos from the drone and my good camera.
The below photos are from the phone.

"Witty K" winner of long distance race and 1st round the buoys race.
Jen and I with Chief Councillor, for Exuma, Ezra Kemp.
Yuri Rolle making us some fresh Conch Salad.
"The List"

Attachments

• IMG_4439.JPG
    IMG_4439.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_4442.JPG
    IMG_4442.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_4445.jpg
    IMG_4445.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_4479.JPG
    IMG_4479.JPG
    177.7 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_4410.jpg
    IMG_4410.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 152
:thumb:

She's a proud looking vessel now, Stan! Time for a new avatar?

Capstan,
Glad your trip went without a hitch. It looks like everyone enjoyed themselves. With boats as old as ours, there is always that nagging feeling of "what's going to go wrong". BTW, your list is waaaay shorter than mine! Congrats..

Yes - not much more!
Doesn't move as much as I had hoped - but I didn't buy it to cool the boat, just as a source of change out.
I doubt a huge amount of air flow would be good for the interior out here with so much salt in the air.
Anyway off on the 1st trip today. Looking forward to seeing how The Monkey will be for us and what changes/additions need to be made!

Some photos or movie to come later!!!

Great job so far!

I also had one of those solar fans, which didn't push much air and eventually died. I left the housing in place and removed the fan & replaced it with a similar sized computer fan that I had laying around. It will now evacuate the air in the head reasonably well.

I, of course, have a list of things to replace, repair or upgrade.
Most importantly I now know by adding another 2 batteries we will be able to run the A/C and fridge for 10 hours without any charging. I will plan on adding 4 which will give me coffee, frother, and a few other add ons in the 110v system for the future.

Happy everything went well. One question, how many 8d batteries do You have in your housebank to be able to run ac for 10 Hours?

Thanks

John

I,
Happy everything went well. One question, how many 8d batteries do You have in your housebank to be able to run ac for 10 Hours?

Thanks

John

Thanks John,
Not 8 Ds. I did have a couple at the beginning but I could not stand the weight and the physical size for placement. The only place I could put them was in the bilge - and they were, and that's a sad ending story!:facepalm:
So I am currently using 4 x Odyssey AGM 31M PC-2150 for the 24v system
My 24v battery system is only for 120v and the 3,000 pure sine wave Charger/inverter. I have a very large alternator on the Stbd main just for this system. It seems to work great.
I have accidently drained them twice so far and they have charged right back up and still operating great.
I know they are expensive but my engineer swears by them.
I have to admit they have been great.
I also have one for each engine starting - hooked up to individual alternators on each engine. Also switching to bring both batteries together for starting if necessary.
Then 2 for the 12v house batteries. These seemed quite adequate for the boat.
Start batteries and 12v bank are also charged by a true charger from 120v.
Also purchased a small, quiet, Honda generator - just in case:thumb:
Some Solar will be coming!
PS the A/c is only an 8,000 BTU for the aft cabin.

Attachments

• 24v Batts.JPG
    24v Batts.JPG
    192.1 KB · Views: 105

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom