New member Seattle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hutch

Hi all,

I've been lurking around here soaking up knowledge for a few months and feel close to pulling the trigger on a 34' CHB to live aboard here in Seattle. If anyone has any leads on moorage in the city, let me know!

Looking forward to meeting folks and reading more as a 'practicing' member.

Cheers,
Hutch

Hutch, welcome to TF. This is a great place to hang around and get answers to your questions. Sorry, but I can't help you out with any info on liveaboard moorage in Seattle. I have heard that if you're willing to drive a bit and live outside the city area that moorage is a bunch cheaper.

I'm sure someone from your area will be around to give you better info. In the meanwhile, welcome.

Welcome Hutch. I left Seattle many years ago, but still have relatives there. Are you looking for Lake Union or Washington, or outside the Locks? All I know is that its all expensive, but on the other hand so is rent! I sold my little house in Ballard in '89 for $120K, its worth north of a half mil now I think. Ridiculous! Good luck on the search and the boat, I have a 34 CHB as well, a Puget Trawler.

Welcome Hutch, new boat, new life....life is good!

Hi all,

I've been lurking around here soaking up knowledge for a few months and feel close to pulling the trigger on a 34' CHB to live aboard here in Seattle. If anyone has any leads on moorage in the city, let me know!

Looking forward to meeting folks and reading more as a 'practicing' member.

Cheers,
Hutch

Is there anywhere in particular that you need to be close to or want to be, a preference of general location. Any issues such as work or land responsibilities? Type of area you find most appealing-a lot of city features or a remote location?

Welcome to the Trawler Forum Hutch!

Thanks all. Happy to be here. As for moorage location, my impression has been that moorage, especially live aboard, is so limited that you can't really choose where to go, you simply find out where you can go. Having said that, being near the canal on the north side of Westlake or over by Fremont or Ballard would be great.

Welcome Hutch. Liveaboard slips are hard to find in the lake. Our marina only allows liveaboards if you own your slip. If you're interested, look at Parkshoremarina.org and check out the slips for sale. There are half a dozen for sale from 35 to 40 feet. South end of the lake though. Not your ideal location.

Hutch,
I have a friend (Mel Malcoff) that is looking for same. If you find an abundance please allow me to pass info along to Mel. Yea good luck re the $

Bremerton always seems to be looking for tenants. I saw a recent advertisement for live aboard moorings at Eagle Harbor on Bainbridge. Both are near ferry terminals for commuting to Seattle.

Quartermaster Marina on Vashon is another place to consider. Passenger and regular ferry service, great community!

Thanks for the welcome everyone. I'll be checking out marinas over the next few weeks!

Seattle has its high price and crowded roads mainly because people want to be here. So if you want Seattle you will most likely have to pay for it. If you don't have to be in the immediate area as noted in other posts there are many cheaper and interesting places for the boat life. Many live-aboards in Seattle have in the past done so for financial reasons which with rising prices may no longer hold. There is still high demand and a limited supply. Good luck in your quest.

Welcome Hutch,

Check out the Canal Marina on Ewing St. I used to keep The Promise there. It's on the Fremont Cut, 10 min walk to the center of the Universe. If you go over there tell Dick (the harbormaster) I said hi. It's a private marina so plenty of livaboard space. Pretty sure it's $10/ft and includes power/water.

I'd want to be in Seattle to be close to work and friends. As for the costs, my boat payment, insurance and liveaboard fees would be about what an apartment would be for rent.

Back
Top Bottom