Crossing the Oceans under Power

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
RunningTide
Vessel Make
37 Louisiane catamaran
If I were given the task of crossing oceans under power only (no sail), this might well be my choice....

Ocean Eagle 43

Last edited:
Last edited:
Sure slowed down when it turned into a headsea.

Impressive still..

Many years ago I owned a 26ft sailing tri built by Brian Eiland and can attest to the sea keeping ability of tris. I remember one day on Broad creek MD where heavy wind coming into the creek whipped up a short steep sea maybe four to five footers. The weekend fleet of boats anchored in the inner tributaries piled up looking out at the breaking waves. A few of the bigger power boats went for it going slow into the waves with their props singing when out of the water. My light fast tri with full working sails tacked right through those boats popping over the waves at better than 8K tacking tight on the wind. Off the wind 20K was possible and often attained. I have and still hold that a tri sail or power properly designed and built to the sea conditions it will face will be an awesome sea boat.

If I were given the task of crossing oceans under power only (no sail), this might well be my choice....

Ocean Eagle 43

Doesn't that just look like the best boat to travel across oceans in! Fun too - and at 140 feet or so, you have a little room.

OE43_full_new.jpg

Ocean-Eagle-43.jpg

The long, slender main hull and diminutive outer hulls (called amas) provide exceptional stability but weigh less and experience less drag than other hull forms of comparable displacement, including twin-hulled catamarans. “The trimaran offers the greatest range … due to its very low wetted surface area,” he explains. “What you get is a top speed of 30 knots for Ocean Eagle, but more importantly, a very economical 20-knot cruise for a 4,828 km range.”

Full story here:

Dark knights: Sleek trimarans surveil the seas : CompositesWorld

When you get to 43m there are a few options for that task. Still, if I ordered that one I'd want the helicopter.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom