Very serious poll

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lou_tribal

Guru
Vessel Name
Bleuvet
Vessel Make
Custom Built
I was cooking the diner and thought of a very important subject to discuss about: cooking and food.
So here is some questions for you:
  1. When you are onboard, are you cooking?
  2. Who is cooking, the Captain or the Admiral?
  3. Lastly what do you like to coo the most onboard?

As you can see it is a very serious subject :D

For myself:
1. Yes we are cooking as we both love to cook.
2. For lunch the Admiral is cooking most of the time, she is an expert in lunch and does exquisites gastronomic toast. For the diner it is mainly me, I love to cook.
3. Really don't have one favorite, depending on the weather the time we have and where we are. BBQ is a must but not really cooking, but some of our favorites are based on ducks, pasta, or sometime slow cooking things based on veal or pork.
We try as much as possible to cook outside, inside onlyb when weather does not allow it.

I would be glad to hear from you all!

Best Regards

IMG_1628.jpg

This is the last thing we cooked onboard. Team effort!

So far the best thing cooked on board was scones made with just picked blackberries. Didn't last long enough for a photo!

I like to cook more than she does but we split duties. Prefer to grill if possible. Cold today... making chile verde in slow cooker for tomorrow :)

This is very interesting you give me ideas for next diner ! :)

My wife doesn't cruise with me, she gets seasick. So I bring my girlfriend along. Keep her in the freezer. Her name is Marie Callender. I'm not much of a cook. Best I can do is make reservations. :blush:

Ted

At least you eat, your girlfriend is not named jack lol

Greetings,
Tonight I made pasta and shrimp with lime butter sauce. I cook. Admiral sets table and cleans up. Pretty well been that way for the last 45 years.

1/3 cup fresh lime juice reduced to 2 1/2 tbsp over med heat
1 stick chilled butter cut into 8 pcs. Add butter to juice 2 pcs @ a time while wisking. If sauce breaks, add more butter
4 tbsp. fresh chopped cilantro wisked in a the end
Saute shrimp in extra butter and garlic. Combine with butter sauce. Serve over pasta or rice.

Most of the time we cook on the boat, or, I should say that I cook on the boat. I have an electric skillet and a one burner butane cooktop in the galley. I also have a propane grill in the cockpit. I have made chicken marsala, pork medallions with apples and onions, chicken carbonara, seared tenderloin, and just about anything else you can cook at home. A good cook should be able to cook on a hot rock if needed.

Do I have to crack the portlight above the propane stove when cooking? Sometimes I forget, and I'm still basically alive, so maybe not.

Since I retired, 25, soon to be 26 years ago, I have done all the cookin'. (Italian men are always better cooks than their wives.) On board, my favorite dish is Pasta Putanesque, a recipe goin' back to the days in the old country when men awaitin' service at a brothel had to be fed. The sauce does not require hours of cookin' ergo, it is a fittin' dish to be served on a boat. What's that? What wine do I add to the sauce? Valpolicello, the only red wine to be used in Italian cookin'.:thumb:

Since I retired, 25, soon to be 26 years ago, I have done all the cookin'. (Italian men are always better cooks than their wives.) On board, my favorite dish is Pasta Putanesque, a recipe goin' back to the days in the old country when men awaitin' service at a brothel had to be fed. The sauce does not require hours of cookin' ergo, it is a fittin' dish to be served on a boat. What's that? What wine do I add to the sauce? Valpolicello, the only red wine to be used in Italian cookin'.:thumb:

Whore's pasta! That's one of my favorite sauces. Very flavorful and pungent.

We are BBG/grill lovers, so most meals are grilled. I can grill anything as long as it is Organic, and or Grass Fed. :)

Ocassionally we will crock pot a roast, or bake some chicken in the oven, but grillng is our favorite.

I do the cooking on the boat, and most of the time at home.

This is probably the hardest part about cruising for us, because neither of us likes to cook. We are still looking for the ever elusive crew member who cooks, cleans, covers a night watch shift, and lives in a drawer.

Wife is a semi-vegitarian (fish and dairy permitted), so at home and on boat we tend to cook in parallel. Works well at home on 5-burner gas range. Boat can be awkward on a Wallis diesel stove, which is about 1.5 pans wide.

Generally, I grill some dead critter in the cockpit and then take a side dish of her veggie entree.

This is probably the hardest part about cruising for us, because neither of us likes to cook. We are still looking for the ever elusive crew member who cooks, cleans, covers a night watch shift, and lives in a drawer.

We are in the same situation. Neither of us like to cook but then neither of us are all that fussy about what we eat. Pastas are a common go to for us.

Greetings,
Tonight I made pasta and shrimp with lime butter sauce. I cook. Admiral sets table and cleans up. Pretty well been that way for the last 45 years.

1/3 cup fresh lime juice reduced to 2 1/2 tbsp over med heat
1 stick chilled butter cut into 8 pcs. Add butter to juice 2 pcs @ a time while wisking. If sauce breaks, add more butter
4 tbsp. fresh chopped cilantro wisked in a the end
Saute shrimp in extra butter and garlic. Combine with butter sauce. Serve over pasta or rice.

Nice! I keep the recipe but won't pay you any right for reproducing it !

Most of the time we cook on the boat, or, I should say that I cook on the boat. I have an electric skillet and a one burner butane cooktop in the galley. I also have a propane grill in the cockpit. I have made chicken marsala, pork medallions with apples and onions, chicken carbonara, seared tenderloin, and just about anything else you can cook at home. A good cook should be able to cook on a hot rock if needed.

A fine gourmet here :)

Not sure you should say that to your mama if you don't want to be part of the sauce :D

We are BBG/grill lovers, so most meals are grilled. I can grill anything as long as it is Organic, and or Grass Fed. :)

Ocassionally we will crock pot a roast, or bake some chicken in the oven, but grillng is our favorite.

I do the cooking on the boat, and most of the time at home.

We too love the grill, especially as we are mostly using the boat during warm summer.
We are also using crock pot to cook thing before leaving for a day cruise so we are all set for diner when we are at destination.

Sorry you are just dreaming :rofl:

Wife is a semi-vegitarian (fish and dairy permitted), so at home and on boat we tend to cook in parallel. Works well at home on 5-burner gas range. Boat can be awkward on a Wallis diesel stove, which is about 1.5 pans wide.

Generally, I grill some dead critter in the cockpit and then take a side dish of her veggie entree.

Always a challenge to accomodate 2 different way of eating. I am often cooking meat as two of us are eating everything but we have two friends vegetarian and it is always a challenge for me to make something that they will like as much as we do.

We are in the same situation. Neither of us like to cook but then neither of us are all that fussy about what we eat. Pastas are a common go to for us.

The benefit with pasta is that it is easy to store and keepnfor long cruise, and easy to make fresh with flour and eggs.

She does most of the cooking. Veggies, stews and the decisions about what and when we get it. I make a mess, of the dishes and the food. However I do burn stuff on the barbeque not too badly. I also catch the prawns and crabs which she does not do.

We both like to cook so it's sometimes a battle with the menu planning to see who gets to cook.

If it's done on the grill I'm usually the one who cooks. Inside cooking on the stove, she's the one.

Always a challenge to accomodate 2 different way of eating. I am often cooking meat as two of us are eating everything but we have two friends vegetarian and it is always a challenge for me to make something that they will like as much as we do.

I just cook BBQ lamb for vegetarians

We both cook. To answer one of the questions, breakfast is what is cooked most....usually bacon and eggs for tacos. She makes fresh salsa that makes it all work.

SHe is also good with a crockpot. Chicken green chile stew is just crazy good. There ain't nothing better than sitting on the flybridge and the companionway door opens below me and that smell comes wafting up. Also beef stew as well. We do a lot of grilling as well Mostly steak but a lot of fish and chicken as well. She also is the gumbo master but that is usually done dockside with a propane burner for the high heat to get that dark brown roux.

Lunch is almost always sandwiches.

Last edited:
We both cook. To answer one of the questions, breakfast is what is cooked most....usually bacon and eggs for tacos. She makes fresh salsa that makes it all work.

SHe is also good with a crockpot. Chicken green chile stew is just crazy good. There ain't nothing better than sitting on the flybridge and the companionway door opens below me. Also beef stew as well. We do a lot of grilling as well and that smell comes wafting up. Mostly steak but a lot of fish and chicken as well. She also is the gumbo master but that is usually done dockside with a propane burner for the high heat to get that dark brown roux.

Lunch is almost always sandwiches.

You make me hungry :)

If you could adapt these doors?????:whistling::whistling:

Ted:hide:

Attachments

• 20150825_SN_UpNextSeamoth2-618x259.jpg
    20150825_SN_UpNextSeamoth2-618x259.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 98
Back
Top Bottom