Tenass Pass Alaska Navigable?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ken E.

Guru
Vessel Name
Hatt Trick
Vessel Make
45' Hatteras Convertible
Tenass Pass is on the NW end of Prince of Wales Island and connects Tokeen Bay with El Capitan channel. Coast Pilot describes it as passable at high water, but the charts look like it nearly dries at the choke points, with plenty of rocks thrown in to keep things interesting. Brockman pass just to the south is even shallower. The Douglass book, 'Exploring SE AK ' is silent on these two. Has anyone tried these?

Have you tried these, or checked them out in the dinghy?

No. While I do have some limited experience in Southeast, never been near there. I did pull out...well.. booted up the relevant charts and had to wonder: what's the appeal?

No. While I do have some limited experience in Southeast, never been near there. I did pull out...well.. booted up the relevant charts and had to wonder: what's the appeal?

We like to fish in the Davidson Inlet area, just west of Tokeen Bay. If a stout west wind/swell is blowing into Sea Otter sound off the ocean, Tenass pass would allow inside travel all the way down to the Nassuk Bay, NE of the Gulf of Esquimel.

I have a friend that lives on Marble Is. We went out there on our skiff (at the time) through Karheen Passage and across SeaOtter Sound to Edna Bay.

I see Tenass Pass just north of Or Is. I've asked about that and locals say it is passable at high tide in a skiff. One local speculated I could take the Willard through on a spring tide but in any case it's probably choked w kelp. I'd say anchor nearby and check it out w a skiff .. preferably one w a sounder.

Ken, it is passable, preferable at high tide. It is a good idea to check it out in the dink. Additionally I recommend transmitting on the radio your passage and concern for opposing traffic. It appears that you are somewhat familiar with area. Be prepared for surprisingly large vessels in the pass and charter fishing boats.

Ken, I just notice the your boat is twin screw. You may not want to do the pass.

Why? Why ask and why consider? I'm just curious if it's borderline and may or may not be ok and requires the right timing and isn't necessary as a route, then why take the chance? If I'm missing something, please educate me.

Why? Why ask and why consider? I'm just curious if it's borderline and may or may not be ok and requires the right timing and isn't necessary as a route, then why take the chance? If I'm missing something, please educate me.

Why? How about to save some time avoiding a nasty beam sea when a better alternative is available. That's why. There are a hundred similar scenarios in SE Alaska. Not so much in Florida?

Why? How about to save some time avoiding a nasty beam sea when a better alternative is available. That's why. There are a hundred similar scenarios in SE Alaska. Not so much in Florida?

They are everywhere. That's how Psneeld makes a good living. The "short cuts" are where a lot of people end up with trouble. Sunken Spencer SF last year taking such a route from DR that most just wouldn't take. Boats aground in places others don't try. A lot of areas like that in the PNW. Now, the saving time I find somewhat ironic because it's often those who choose displacement speeds because they say time isn't important to them. I'm only suggesting to weigh risk and benefit and, if in doubt, go the long, safer way. If seas are unsafe, stay put.

The guy wants to get some information on a possible navigable pass so he can make an intelligent decision. Instead he gets a lecture on boating.

I'd listen to the locals whether Eric, Old Deckhand or the CG guys out of Sitka who would have the right answer. The open Pacific stretch from Dixon Entrance up to Icy Strait has similar safe passage questions. Another source of info are the commercial guys whether located in Craig, Sitka or even Petersburg.

A shirttail relative out of Petersburg knows literally every inch of that coast with attendant tragic stories. Assistance is far away for those who get in trouble in that area. Better said, you are on your own.

Ken E.,
Another thing to be aware of is current. May only be a short time of slack water.
If you could contact anyone at Sakar Cove or NewTokeen they they would know all about Tenass Pass. Or my friend but he lives in a cabin on Marble Is and only goes to Craig once a month. You may see his Willard moored on a ball in the west side of Marble Is. People in Edna Bay would probably know too.

Top pic is the float at Edna Bay.
Second pic is my friends Willard In a cove on the west side of Marble Is.

Attachments

• STH71350 copy.jpg
    STH71350 copy.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 87
  • STH71377 copy.jpg
    STH71377 copy.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
They are everywhere. That's how Psneeld makes a good living. The "short cuts" are where a lot of people end up with trouble. Sunken Spencer SF last year taking such a route from DR that most just wouldn't take. Boats aground in places others don't try. A lot of areas like that in the PNW. Now, the saving time I find somewhat ironic because it's often those who choose displacement speeds because they say time isn't important to them. I'm only suggesting to weigh risk and benefit and, if in doubt, go the long, safer way. If seas are unsafe, stay put.

Thank you, Banb, for the the nice safety lecture. You may be surprised to know that most of us running boats in SE AK didn't just fall off the turnip truck in terms of experience and risk assessment. Many of us are ex - commercial fishermen, like me. Or loggers. Or AK residents with local knowledge. Or big boats out of Seattle who have been doing SE AK since they were kids.

What you don't seem to understand is that up here, there is often a large time and fuel cost associated with insisting on taking the deepest, widest and theoretically safest route. Does this mean taking risky routes?.....no, and that was the point of this thread to sound out people with local knowledge who have been through Tenass Pass. Based on what Eric and Deckhand had to say, experienced guys with local knowledge, I won't be transiting Tenass Pass. But.......I might anchor nearby and have a look in the dink.

Here's a question for you since you are obviously very safety conscious. You'll need a chart or plotter. You are in Sitka. You want to get to Ketchikan. You have 3 options, once you've made your way east through Peril Strait and are now sitting in Chatham Strait. Chatham Strait is deep, wide and the route the ships take, although it's open to the ocean at its south end. Option 1 is to head south in Chatham Strait, hang a left at Cape Decision, go up Summer Strait and over the top of Prince of Wales island and then down into Ketchikan. This route is deep, wide, and no rocks, but if there's a south wind and swell, you will be asking yourself if all this deep safety is worth it, never mind the huge number of extra miles you're running. Option 2 is to head east in Frederick Sound to Petersburg, down Wrangell Narrows, then Clarence Strait to Ketchikan. Less miles and more sheltered than Option 1, but Wrangell Narrows is 18 miles of buoys and day marks to keep you off the rocks, with tugs, cruise ships and ferries all around you. I'm thinking that Wrangell Narrows might violate your sensibilities because it's narrow and rocky. But not so much so as Option 3, Rocky Pass. You would enter Frederick Sound, and then head for Kake, in Keku Strait. Now, here we have some real risk, by both our definitions. Narrow, rocky, shallow, lots of current, and Devils Elbow. I have not been through here, but I'm going to try it next summer. Why? It's 40 less miles than Option 2 but more than that, the risk is manageable. How? By anchoring nearby and having a look at at low tide. By talking to people who have gone through......I know several. By paying close attention to the currents. By referring to books which discuss this area in detail, the NOAA Coast Pilot and Douglass especially.

So, Bandb, if you want to be ultra safe and pay the price for it, have at it. Many of us just don't agree with you.

Ken Hatt Trick

I don't know how up to date charts are for SE Alaska, but here on BC's north coast some areas haven't been surveyed since the 1920's. Local knowledge (or going in with all situational awareness receptors on high) is key in some areas, particularly when sediment runoff from surrounding mountains has extended and reshaped drying flats and/or shallow water.

Ken, Rocky Pass is better marked then a few years ago. Most modern GPS equipment also lays a track in the pass. A few years ago I was surprised to see the Grand Banks mother goose parade in the pass. They made it through without a problem. Agree, good idea to speak with folks in Kake. I have had to turn around several times due to seas in southern Summer Straits. The marine weather forecast for this area can be very unreliable. This is the area where in 1906 (?) a 262 ft sailing ship the Star of Bengal lost it's tow and went aground on Coranation Island at China Cove with an estimated loss of 110 souls. Seas can rapidly build in southern Summer. We enjoy Wrangell Narrows at night because it is lite up by the numerous nav aids like the national Christmas tree. Wishing you fair winds and safe travels.

I don't know how up to date charts are for SE Alaska, but here on BC's north coast some areas haven't been surveyed since the 1920's. Local knowledge (or going in with all situational awareness receptors on high) is key in some areas, particularly when sediment runoff from surrounding mountains has extended and reshaped drying flats and/or shallow water.

Murray, is there a lot of harbor ice in Kitimat?

Ken,

I want to give my $0.02 on passages like Tenass. My opinion is based on experience, I recently retired from running an oceanogrpahic research boat. In that capacity I was called on to make these kinds of passes often with minimal information. I don’t want this to come across as preachy or lecture-y. I know a lot of the members have decades of experience. Some however do not. I don’t know where you are on the spectrum.

Here goes…..

Deciding to run Tenass Pass is like everything else on a boat, a risk / benefit calculation. Risk here being the key. As others have mentioned you will be in a remote area with little help available if something goes wrong. You are running a twin screw boat with little or no protection for the running gear. A tiny bump on the rocks and a lot goes wrong in an instant.

Many here have already mentioned it, the most important thing is survey the pass from your small boat. Preferably with a good sounder. I prefer to make my survey at low water. If you’ve got a good GPS even better. If that GPS can be mounted on the bridge of your big boat so you are dealing with very similar system errors as you make your passage and following the GPS track line better still.

Make your passage 1 – 3 hrs before high water. The exact timing will depend upon anticipated currents in the pass. You want as much rising tide left under you with as little current as possible.

The survey is made at low water so you can see more of the dangers. The passage is made near high water for obvious reasons, before high water so that you might float free if you get stuck. A note on that. Ak is a mixed semi diurnal tidal cycle. Two highs and two lows per tidal day. Often there is a considerable difference in height between the lower high tide and the higher high tide. If you are transiting the pass on one of those days, especially during spring tides consider that you can be aground for a day or more if you get stuck near the higher high water. And with Ak’s extreme tidal ranges you could be high and dry perched on a rock doing considerable damage to your hull and running gear.

If at all possible time your passages so that you are stemming the current. This allows you to move more slowly over the ground and to be able to stop and back away more quickly.

As you gain experience and local knowledge with Tenass Pass your transit window times widen. But on your first few passages be very careful, even if it means transiting the pass at inconvenient times.

Now I want to talk about charts, electronics and judgment. Again, not trying to be preachy.

Sounders.
I would not make a pass like Tenass without a good sounder. However, in places like S.E. Ak the bottom is so vertical that some times the sounder will tell you that you are aground as you strike the rocks. Go slow. Be careful. Know what the transducer offset, what the indicated depth is. Under the keel, under the transducer, at the water line? It is usually best to not run the sounder on auto range and auto gain in these situations. You don’t need it getting confused and trying to find the bottom just when you need it most. Choose an appropriate range and adjust the gain before starting in. I prefer to have a sounder that charts the bottom as well as gives a digital depth reading. Sometimes the numbers get jumpy and there is no good way to make sense of the information. A chart of the bottom shows the trends even when the signal gets a little noisy.

GPS.
All non-survey grade GPS receivers are subject to error. There are no exceptions. Do you know how accurate yours is? How repeatable yours is? If the “wobble” in your system is 3 meters (not at all unusual despite manufacturer's claims) that means the confidence in your track line is 6 meters, 20 ft. GPS error increases in narrow steep sided channels. I know, the experts say it isn’t so but I’ve seen it many times. And what GPS are you using? A purpose built marine unit or a tablet / phone GPS? The tablet / phone units are damned good but I won’t use one for narrow tricky passes. The short version is that well designed marine units prioritize accuracy over speed of fix. Most tablets / phones prioritize speed of fix over accuracy. And worse yet, the phone / tablet won’t tell you when it’s doing that!

All of this is to say use the GPS, but don’t trust it blindly. I don't have good charts of Tenass Pass here but it looks like there are some skinny spots that at low tide are 11 meters, 36 ft. If I'm right about 20 ft confidence and 36 ft wide safe channel that's just 8 ft of sure safety on either side of the centerline of your boat. If your boat is about 13 ft beam take 6.5 ft away and you're down to almost nothing. Oh yeah, and know where your GPS receiver is. If it's off to one side of centerline......

Charts.
In these kinds of places I will only use official charts, in Ak that would be NOAA charts. Cartographers have to make decisions when creating charts. They have to reduce a massive amount of data to a usable chart which means they throw out some data. Then as other chart makers use the NOAA charts to create their versions even more decisions are made resulting in more data loss. Generally non NOAA charts are very good. But I’ve seen more than a few instances where important features were missing.

And, things have been missed. A few years ago I found an uncharted pinnacle in a narrow pass I’d transited dozens of times. That time I was a bit to the right of my usual track line. I can’t recommend that as a way to get your heart rate up.

Paper vs electronic charts. It’s your choice and often a financial decision. I like having both aboard but then my employer required it and paid for them. These days I’m a little stingier with the number of paper charts I carry. However, if I wanted to transit the little passes around Prince of Whales Island to my favorite fishing holes frequently I’d buy the relevant paper charts.

RNC (raster) vs ENC. In US waters NOAA provides them free of charge. Carry both. They offer different strengths and weaknesses. I have found in some less traveled areas they don’t 100% agree. In those cases I put more trust in the RNCs for the same reasons I trust NOAA charts over other charts.

Beware of the dangers of overzooming electronic charts, no matter who made them or created the software. It leads to a false sense of accuracy that simply is not there.

A comment on the accuracy of charts. Know the dates of the survey the charts are based upon. I am not saying the surveyors and cartographers of old were sloppy and inaccurate. I am saying they and the mariners the charts were created for used different tools. Bearing and range were the tools of the trade “back in the day”. Early in the days of GPS and electronic charting it was not uncommon to find significant errors. Almost without exception the errors I noted were a displacement of the charted areas on the earth’s surface. That is to say the bearing and distance between two points were nuts on, but might not be accurately placed on the earth’s surface. An old pilot would round Pointy Rock Shoal day beacon at a known distance and bearing, set the course for Bent Tree Point for a safe clearance, make adjustments for set and drift and all was hunky dory. A GPS user like we all are these days would round the day mark by eye, point and click a waypoint off Bent Tree Point, activate the route, mash the autopilot button and if the charted area were displaced on the earth might wind up parked on the beach.

Hydrorgraphic services have been very diligent in correcting these errors but some of the less traveled areas are still not quite right. Be careful. I found one not too long ago. Slipping between an island and a peninsula, a narrow but deep channel and almost straight. Piece of cake, plot my course, look out the windows and keep ‘er in the middle. I glanced over at the electronic chart and saw by that we were on the logging road on the peninsula! A friend found a rock awash the hard way a few years back putting too much trust in a GPS chart plotter running non NOAA charts.

Putting it all together.
Here’s how I would approach my first transit of Tenass Pass. Assuming from your first post that you have considerable experience with El Capitan.

- Head over to southern El Capitan the day before. Anchor as near to Tenass Pass as you can and be confident in leaving the big boat for some time.

- Survey Tenass Pass at low water. Take your time. Find all the scary spots. Use your eyes as much as your GPS and sounder. Do you know how to spot natural ranges and how to use them? If not that’s another subject.

- Your survey line will be all zigg zaggy, not a usable track line. Using what you learned run the pass in your small boat as if you were running it in the big boat. Same speed you intend to run the pass in the big boat. Repeat until you are confident you have a trustable track line and good familiarity with the lay of the land. Both bottom and land marks on the shore line. I like to carry a waterproof note book and make sketches and notes.

- Back aboard the big boat chart your track line. If possible on both electronic and paper. Note where turns need to be made, courses to steer, safe distances off hazards, anticipated water depth at key points adjusted for tide height and transducer offsets. Work it all out in your head before you go. When you are in the pass is not the time to be figuring things out.

- When time and tide are right, probably the next day, make the run.

- LOTFW. Older captains, I guess I’m one now, like to remind the youngsters who professionally grew up on electronic navigation Look Out The F...ing Windows! Not just stare out the windows but know your courses, bearings, ranges and land marks. Use ‘em all.

- Stay ahead of your boat. A key to successful navigation and piloting is thinking ahead. Where you are now was solved a while ago, where you are going next is what you are thinking about. Electronic navigation encourages thinking only about where you are now. I can be as guilty of that bad practice as anyone!

Local Knowledge. There are two kinds, yours and theirs. Yours comes from experience with Tenass Pass. The more you run it the more you know it. Just don’t get complacent and sloppy. Theirs is not to be trusted until you know for sure. Listen to the locals, particularly with respect to cautions and warnings. But do you own homework before you head into the pass.

The tools I like to use
- NOAA charts. All 3. Paper, RNC and ENC
- A quality marine grade hand held GPS that can save trackline, routes and waypoints. Can output them to my PC. Can connect to my PC to provide GPS position data. I trust Garmin units.
- Plotting software that will accept track lines, waypoints and routes from my GPS. Use NOAA Rnc and ENC charts accurately. Take position data from my GPS. I’m a big fan of Rose Point’s Coastal Explorer.
- An accurate heading source for use with the courses, bearings and ranges you learned form the survey. The heading source can be an accurately compensated magnetic compass or any number of electronic gizmos. I’m a big fan of a quality magnetic compass properly compensated. They are not subject to electronic / electric failure.
- Radar. If you’ve got a good unit that accurately determines range use it. You can use it to keep a safe distance off a hazard abeam, know the range to a landmark ahead where you make your next course change. If you’ve done your small boat survey well, done your chart work and see the small boat GPS track line does not plot in the good water on the NOAA chart you don’t need to be alarmed. You can still use the ranges, bearings and courses from the paper chart.

- Dividers, compass (the drawing kind) and a rule of some sort. I prefer for small boats like we all run the Weams and Plath rolling plotter. These tools are used with your paper chart to plan your route.

If these techniques of inshore piloting are new to you then you might consider practicing first is some less demanding passages. I see at the southern end of El Capitan a bay called Kosciusko Bay. Skinny with rocks but straight and short. Should be a straight forward small boat survey. And when you’re ready plenty of room to turn the big boat around in there and head out. Too bad the bottom charts as rocky. What a secure anchorage that would be to ride out a blow!

I hope you and all reading this find it helpful. And if any of the experienced boaters here can improve my post please jump in! We’re all here to share and learn.

Murray, is there a lot of harbor ice in Kitimat?

No, just near shore in small bays with creeks when the temperatures dips to below -10C.

Our slip in MK Bay is near the outside so we never freeze in...boats on the other side of the finger get frozen in.

We tried Tenass from the east a couple years ago on a high tide and the water got a little too thin for our 48 inch draft so we went around. Have done Rocky Pass several times on high tides. It is well marked. We did Canoe Pass on the east side of Etolin Island last year on a high tide. The thin part is only a couple hundred yards and the water was clear enough you could see your way through.

Transiting from Wrangell to Sitka, I like the Rocky Pass route since I can time things to hit the pass at the right time. I don't mind the trip down Chatham Strait but count on things being a little rolly at the south end. The main reason we would take Chatham is to hit Tebenkoff Bay and the fishing around the Coronation Islands.

Thin water is not a matter so much of charts but all visual from the bow. When you can see the bottom, the chart plotter and sounder are simply records of where you have been so when you leave you can follow the same successful track or avoid an unsuccessful track. There are places where we anchor that the entrance can only be used above certain tide stages.

Tom

We tried Tenass from the east a couple years ago on a high tide and the water got a little too thin for our 48 inch draft so we went around. Have done Rocky Pass several times on high tides. It is well marked. We did Canoe Pass on the east side of Etolin Island last year on a high tide. The thin part is only a couple hundred yards and the water was clear enough you could see your way through.

Transiting from Wrangell to Sitka, I like the Rocky Pass route since I can time things to hit the pass at the right time. I don't mind the trip down Chatham Strait but count on things being a little rolly at the south end. The main reason we would take Chatham is to hit Tebenkoff Bay and the fishing around the Coronation Islands.

Thin water is not a matter so much of charts but all visual from the bow. When you can see the bottom, the chart plotter and sounder are simply records of where you have been so when you leave you can follow the same successful track or avoid an unsuccessful track. There are places where we anchor that the entrance can only be used above certain tide stages.

Tom

Excellent info.....thanks.

Ken,

I want to give my $0.02 on passages like Tenass. My opinion is based on experience, I recently retired from running an oceanogrpahic research boat. In that capacity I was called on to make these kinds of passes often with minimal information. I don’t want this to come across as preachy or lecture-y. I know a lot of the members have decades of experience. Some however do not. I don’t know where you are on the spectrum.

Here goes…..

Deciding to run Tenass Pass is like everything else on a boat, a risk / benefit calculation. Risk here being the key. As others have mentioned you will be in a remote area with little help available if something goes wrong. You are running a twin screw boat with little or no protection for the running gear. A tiny bump on the rocks and a lot goes wrong in an instant.

Many here have already mentioned it, the most important thing is survey the pass from your small boat. Preferably with a good sounder. I prefer to make my survey at low water. If you’ve got a good GPS even better. If that GPS can be mounted on the bridge of your big boat so you are dealing with very similar system errors as you make your passage and following the GPS track line better still.

Make your passage 1 – 3 hrs before high water. The exact timing will depend upon anticipated currents in the pass. You want as much rising tide left under you with as little current as possible.

The survey is made at low water so you can see more of the dangers. The passage is made near high water for obvious reasons, before high water so that you might float free if you get stuck. A note on that. Ak is a mixed semi diurnal tidal cycle. Two highs and two lows per tidal day. Often there is a considerable difference in height between the lower high tide and the higher high tide. If you are transiting the pass on one of those days, especially during spring tides consider that you can be aground for a day or more if you get stuck near the higher high water. And with Ak’s extreme tidal ranges you could be high and dry perched on a rock doing considerable damage to your hull and running gear.

If at all possible time your passages so that you are stemming the current. This allows you to move more slowly over the ground and to be able to stop and back away more quickly.

As you gain experience and local knowledge with Tenass Pass your transit window times widen. But on your first few passages be very careful, even if it means transiting the pass at inconvenient times.

Now I want to talk about charts, electronics and judgment. Again, not trying to be preachy.

Sounders.
I would not make a pass like Tenass without a good sounder. However, in places like S.E. Ak the bottom is so vertical that some times the sounder will tell you that you are aground as you strike the rocks. Go slow. Be careful. Know what the transducer offset, what the indicated depth is. Under the keel, under the transducer, at the water line? It is usually best to not run the sounder on auto range and auto gain in these situations. You don’t need it getting confused and trying to find the bottom just when you need it most. Choose an appropriate range and adjust the gain before starting in. I prefer to have a sounder that charts the bottom as well as gives a digital depth reading. Sometimes the numbers get jumpy and there is no good way to make sense of the information. A chart of the bottom shows the trends even when the signal gets a little noisy.

GPS.
All non-survey grade GPS receivers are subject to error. There are no exceptions. Do you know how accurate yours is? How repeatable yours is? If the “wobble” in your system is 3 meters (not at all unusual despite manufacturer's claims) that means the confidence in your track line is 6 meters, 20 ft. GPS error increases in narrow steep sided channels. I know, the experts say it isn’t so but I’ve seen it many times. And what GPS are you using? A purpose built marine unit or a tablet / phone GPS? The tablet / phone units are damned good but I won’t use one for narrow tricky passes. The short version is that well designed marine units prioritize accuracy over speed of fix. Most tablets / phones prioritize speed of fix over accuracy. And worse yet, the phone / tablet won’t tell you when it’s doing that!

All of this is to say use the GPS, but don’t trust it blindly. I don't have good charts of Tenass Pass here but it looks like there are some skinny spots that at low tide are 11 meters, 36 ft. If I'm right about 20 ft confidence and 36 ft wide safe channel that's just 8 ft of sure safety on either side of the centerline of your boat. If your boat is about 13 ft beam take 6.5 ft away and you're down to almost nothing. Oh yeah, and know where your GPS receiver is. If it's off to one side of centerline......

Charts.
In these kinds of places I will only use official charts, in Ak that would be NOAA charts. Cartographers have to make decisions when creating charts. They have to reduce a massive amount of data to a usable chart which means they throw out some data. Then as other chart makers use the NOAA charts to create their versions even more decisions are made resulting in more data loss. Generally non NOAA charts are very good. But I’ve seen more than a few instances where important features were missing.

And, things have been missed. A few years ago I found an uncharted pinnacle in a narrow pass I’d transited dozens of times. That time I was a bit to the right of my usual track line. I can’t recommend that as a way to get your heart rate up.

Paper vs electronic charts. It’s your choice and often a financial decision. I like having both aboard but then my employer required it and paid for them. These days I’m a little stingier with the number of paper charts I carry. However, if I wanted to transit the little passes around Prince of Whales Island to my favorite fishing holes frequently I’d buy the relevant paper charts.

RNC (raster) vs ENC. In US waters NOAA provides them free of charge. Carry both. They offer different strengths and weaknesses. I have found in some less traveled areas they don’t 100% agree. In those cases I put more trust in the RNCs for the same reasons I trust NOAA charts over other charts.

Beware of the dangers of overzooming electronic charts, no matter who made them or created the software. It leads to a false sense of accuracy that simply is not there.

A comment on the accuracy of charts. Know the dates of the survey the charts are based upon. I am not saying the surveyors and cartographers of old were sloppy and inaccurate. I am saying they and the mariners the charts were created for used different tools. Bearing and range were the tools of the trade “back in the day”. Early in the days of GPS and electronic charting it was not uncommon to find significant errors. Almost without exception the errors I noted were a displacement of the charted areas on the earth’s surface. That is to say the bearing and distance between two points were nuts on, but might not be accurately placed on the earth’s surface. An old pilot would round Pointy Rock Shoal day beacon at a known distance and bearing, set the course for Bent Tree Point for a safe clearance, make adjustments for set and drift and all was hunky dory. A GPS user like we all are these days would round the day mark by eye, point and click a waypoint off Bent Tree Point, activate the route, mash the autopilot button and if the charted area were displaced on the earth might wind up parked on the beach.

Hydrorgraphic services have been very diligent in correcting these errors but some of the less traveled areas are still not quite right. Be careful. I found one not too long ago. Slipping between an island and a peninsula, a narrow but deep channel and almost straight. Piece of cake, plot my course, look out the windows and keep ‘er in the middle. I glanced over at the electronic chart and saw by that we were on the logging road on the peninsula! A friend found a rock awash the hard way a few years back putting too much trust in a GPS chart plotter running non NOAA charts.

Putting it all together.
Here’s how I would approach my first transit of Tenass Pass. Assuming from your first post that you have considerable experience with El Capitan.

- Head over to southern El Capitan the day before. Anchor as near to Tenass Pass as you can and be confident in leaving the big boat for some time.

- Survey Tenass Pass at low water. Take your time. Find all the scary spots. Use your eyes as much as your GPS and sounder. Do you know how to spot natural ranges and how to use them? If not that’s another subject.

- Your survey line will be all zigg zaggy, not a usable track line. Using what you learned run the pass in your small boat as if you were running it in the big boat. Same speed you intend to run the pass in the big boat. Repeat until you are confident you have a trustable track line and good familiarity with the lay of the land. Both bottom and land marks on the shore line. I like to carry a waterproof note book and make sketches and notes.

- Back aboard the big boat chart your track line. If possible on both electronic and paper. Note where turns need to be made, courses to steer, safe distances off hazards, anticipated water depth at key points adjusted for tide height and transducer offsets. Work it all out in your head before you go. When you are in the pass is not the time to be figuring things out.

- When time and tide are right, probably the next day, make the run.

- LOTFW. Older captains, I guess I’m one now, like to remind the youngsters who professionally grew up on electronic navigation Look Out The F...ing Windows! Not just stare out the windows but know your courses, bearings, ranges and land marks. Use ‘em all.

- Stay ahead of your boat. A key to successful navigation and piloting is thinking ahead. Where you are now was solved a while ago, where you are going next is what you are thinking about. Electronic navigation encourages thinking only about where you are now. I can be as guilty of that bad practice as anyone!

Local Knowledge. There are two kinds, yours and theirs. Yours comes from experience with Tenass Pass. The more you run it the more you know it. Just don’t get complacent and sloppy. Theirs is not to be trusted until you know for sure. Listen to the locals, particularly with respect to cautions and warnings. But do you own homework before you head into the pass.

The tools I like to use
- NOAA charts. All 3. Paper, RNC and ENC
- A quality marine grade hand held GPS that can save trackline, routes and waypoints. Can output them to my PC. Can connect to my PC to provide GPS position data. I trust Garmin units.
- Plotting software that will accept track lines, waypoints and routes from my GPS. Use NOAA Rnc and ENC charts accurately. Take position data from my GPS. I’m a big fan of Rose Point’s Coastal Explorer.
- An accurate heading source for use with the courses, bearings and ranges you learned form the survey. The heading source can be an accurately compensated magnetic compass or any number of electronic gizmos. I’m a big fan of a quality magnetic compass properly compensated. They are not subject to electronic / electric failure.
- Radar. If you’ve got a good unit that accurately determines range use it. You can use it to keep a safe distance off a hazard abeam, know the range to a landmark ahead where you make your next course change. If you’ve done your small boat survey well, done your chart work and see the small boat GPS track line does not plot in the good water on the NOAA chart you don’t need to be alarmed. You can still use the ranges, bearings and courses from the paper chart.

- Dividers, compass (the drawing kind) and a rule of some sort. I prefer for small boats like we all run the Weams and Plath rolling plotter. These tools are used with your paper chart to plan your route.

If these techniques of inshore piloting are new to you then you might consider practicing first is some less demanding passages. I see at the southern end of El Capitan a bay called Kosciusko Bay. Skinny with rocks but straight and short. Should be a straight forward small boat survey. And when you’re ready plenty of room to turn the big boat around in there and head out. Too bad the bottom charts as rocky. What a secure anchorage that would be to ride out a blow!

I hope you and all reading this find it helpful. And if any of the experienced boaters here can improve my post please jump in! We’re all here to share and learn.

Thank you.

I've got a feeling Ken E can pilot his boat just fine without the lecture on safe boating and don't think this is what he was seeking in original post on the two passes.

Portage Bay

What a great write-up. Thank you. I would add, in the PNW getting somewhere is very weather dependent. Poor to non visibility can occur quite suddenly rendering clear weather only passages less than passable.

My initial question was based on what I heard from the OP and the others responding. I do pass through tight places occasionally using just the methods outlined. We've taking our RIB and checked out shallow areas, we've used a pilot to get into Romora Bay. It wasn't meant to imply anyone fell off a turnip truck, but I was reading about a pass that is obviously challenging and potentially very problematic and given other options, I would take them. I was just trying to understand the reason others would go through such effort to take this particular pass. I've heard all the responses. It is definitely not a pass I would select. As to Ken E's scenario I would choose Option 2 if in a slow boat, from where I sit now. However, that would be dependent on local knowledge I'd pick up when there. If in a faster boat, I would select between option 1 and 2. I would just not choose to go through the trouble of option 3 to save 40 miles, but that's my choice. As to paying the price for safety, I would, but I don't think anyone here is suggesting doing anything they feel is unsafe. To me it's also the amount of effort certain routes require to be safe. But then I prefer running outside than running the ICW on the east coast. I'm capable of navigating the ICW carefully. Like the outside route.

I respect those navigating in Alaska. Nothing here has even tempted me to where I would choose Tenass. In fact, it has reinforced my reluctance to do so. Could I do so safely, depending on the boat, yes. I have learned a lot about the reasons many here would attempt that route by asking questions, which was the point of my initial question. I often take the path of least resistance because that makes my boating more pleasurable. I leave areas like Tenass to be explored by RIB or smaller boat. That's my choice and I do respect the choices others make.

As to a safety lecture, it wasn't intended as that, but a follow up to a question. However, I won't apologize for bringing the safety issue into the discussion. If some felt I was insulting their professionalism, then for that I do apologize.

Personally I don't see allot of advantage trying Tenass Pass

If you think of a starting point as Davidson Inlet...

If the seas are coming from the west... Hug the southern tip of Whale head Island, then bear north west to the lee sde of Warren Island putting the seas on your port quarter.

If the seas are coming from the south... Hug the northern side of Hecta Island then make a sharp northerly turn as you come out of it's protection, putting the seas on your stern.

Easy Peasy, and SAFE

Ken E.,
Another thing to be aware of is current. May only be a short time of slack water.
If you could contact anyone at Sakar Cove or NewTokeen they they would know all about Tenass Pass. Or my friend but he lives in a cabin on Marble Is and only goes to Craig once a month. You may see his Willard moored on a ball in the west side of Marble Is. People in Edna Bay would probably know too.

Top pic is the float at Edna Bay.
Second pic is my friends Willard In a cove on the west side of Marble Is.

Eric, thanks for the pictures. We anchored in Sarkar last July 4th and watched their fireworks. Do you know where their guide boats usually fish? I'd guess out toward Coronation island.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom