Traveling Dock Steps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FlyWright

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
FlyWright
Vessel Make
1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I saw these in a Harbor Freight Tools ad today and thought they might be good as a portable dock step. The platform measures about 12 in x 18 in and has a 350 Lb capacity. It weighs about 8 lbs. Not a bad deal for $20.

Step Stool/Working Platform

image_25462.jpg

That would help reduce the crotch walk I've experienced crossing your gunwale, Al. :D

Thanks for sharing, Al. One of these might have saved my rotator cuff when I tried to lift our 115-lb Ridgeback up onto our sundeck. :banghead: :facepalm:

I'll bet it will have a pretty short life in a salt water environment. Harbor Freight is not known for quality stuff.

Greetings,
" Harbor Freight is not known for quality stuff." Granted but a quick fresh water rinse and a few squirts of oil now and again and I'd say one would get their $20 worth.

We picked up one like this for even less:
80bd287b-bdfa-4659-88cc-009cdca94e36_1000.jpg

And it's plastic, so rust isn't an issue.

Tie a piece of dental floss to it and the dock, so that you can retrieve it after the wind blows it off the dock.

Whatever you get. Tie it securely to the bull rail. I have seen those things slip out from under the unsuspecting foot so fast the result is always a sore butt.
Better if you can get one that attaches securely to the boat.

I have a plastic one, too. I think I bought it at a nautical swap meet for under $5...maybe $1. Cpseudonym, do you remember? That's the same day I found a new condition Mr. Heater for $5.

I also secure it but since we have floating docks, I attach it to the boat's side rail. It stows away nicely in the laz for easy access.

Think it was a buck and thanks for reminding me of both those purchases you miserable rotten...

PM me when it's time to go again Al, your Sherpa is almost 6'-3" now. Kid must've got his height from the mailman because Lord knows I ain't that tall.

LOL! Don't forget the car cover ($13) and anchor rode markers ($3). I think that's also where I picked up the Teak cabinet door and frame ($10), but it might have been the following year.

Damn! After I listed all that, now I guess I'm really cheaper than I thought I was!

We picked up one like this for even less:
80bd287b-bdfa-4659-88cc-009cdca94e36_1000.jpg

And it's plastic, so rust isn't an issue.

don't get the plastic ones! i had one that folded up while i was siting on it. the aluminum ones are better because they have locks to keep the legs open. i keep a (werner) bigger version of the one posted and have used it for a good 6 years at work.

We've got a plastic one and you have to be very careful stepping down to it as it wants to slide on the dock.

Agreed. They're not for folks with mobility issues. My plastic one doesn't have skid protection. But I'm still young and agile. :socool: :eek: :banghead:

:D

As a few have mentioned, stability is the real issue with any sort of step that's not securely attached to either the dock or the boat. These are also one more thing that you have to keep track of and store while underway. And the milk box isn't really "free". Somebody paid for it, you stole it.

I've got the metal one from harbor freight and have found it to be very useful on the boat as a step or a stool. Being on fresh water corrosion hasn't been a problem.

13125-albums530-picture3442.jpg

We use this stepping stool for quick on and off's. $7 and do not recommend it for loading and unloading heavy items.

Last edited by a moderator:
Similar to this. Fairly sturdy & non-slip. Stows easily, has lasted 4 years with occasional fresh water rinse and WD 40 at connections.

Attachments

• Step Ladder.jpg
    Step Ladder.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 275
Having a deck close to dock level makes the issue moot.

Similar to this. Fairly sturdy & non-slip. Stows easily, has lasted 4 years with occasional fresh water rinse and WD 40 at connections.

I have those at home, but they're larger than I can store easily on FlyWright. I guess I need a bigger boat!

Having a deck close to dock level makes the issue moot.

Yes, that's true, but your boat sits much lower than most. It's an advantage when boarding...and that's important...but the price is paid when you look outside. It's all a trade-off and I accept the better view underway and at anchor to the ease of entry. But, like I said, I'm still young and agile (in my own mind, anyway).

Cheers!

Yes, that's true, but your boat sits much lower than most. It's an advantage when boarding...and that's important...but the price is paid when you look outside. It's all a trade-off and I accept the better view underway and at anchor to the ease of entry. But, like I said, I'm still young and agile (in my own mind, anyway).

Cheers!

Waiting to hear your opinion when you're ten years older. :D

Last edited:
You've identified the critical element of any travelling steps system, Martin - the lanyard. It is written (somewhere) that the steps will be kicked, tipped, scooted, shoved or otherwise placed in the drink with regularity, particularly with children aboard (although adults will certianly make their contribution).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom