Tips on new shore power cords?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom.B

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Make
Navigator 4200 Classic
I think it's time to replace our aging shore power cords and Y-adaptor. The events in McCotter's Marina in Washington,NC kind of moved it up the priority list.

Skinny Dippin' normally uses 50A via two 30A plugs in her transom and a Y-adaptor at the dock post end. There are a few manufacturers of cords - Charles, Marinco, Furrion, and of course... Smart Plug (TWICE the price of conventional).

One other thing is that I sure would like to have 60' of cable. At 35', normal 50' runs are sometimes just not quite enough when we "bow-in", but 75'-100' is just TOO MUCH extra cable to deal with. Can I order custom lengths?

Any preferences among y'all?

Tom-

The ability for other than copper to carry current is very limited.

SS plugs or parts is not acceptable as SS ampacity is too limiting.

Look at the sites and see who uses copper .

Hubbel usually costs more , but works really well.

GonzoF1 wrote:
I think it's time to replace our aging shore power cords and Y-adaptor. The events in McCotter's Marina in Washington,NC kind of moved it up the priority list.

Skinny Dippin' normally uses 50A via two 30A plugs in her transom and a Y-adaptor at the dock post end. There are a few manufacturers of cords - Charles, Marinco, Furrion, and of course... Smart Plug (TWICE the price of conventional).

One other thing is that I sure would like to have 60' of cable. At 35', normal 50' runs are sometimes just not quite enough when we "bow-in", but 75'-100' is just TOO MUCH extra cable to deal with. Can I order custom lengths?

Tom-
*Tom,

We have travel cords and home dock cords. The home dock are 25' and do not ever go with us.

We carry four 50' cords.* Two rolled on the yellow donuts(http://www.amazon.com/Cordpro-Cord-Organizer-Model-CP-100/dp/B000O9RJQU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304956761&sr=8-1) and they are the normal travel cords and two stored up on the fly bridge in a locker in case we need the extra length. We use the donut cords when we arrive at our dock for the day.* We only used the extra two cords one time but we would have been without A/C on a forth of July weekend*in Manteo if we had not had them.

So buy two new cords and keep the old ones as the extra travel cords.* BTW I think you will find that the new cords are only 40'.* They did that so that they only raised the price $6.00 and hoped that you would not notice the 10' of missing cord.

You can buy the cord and plugs at most commercial electrical store and make you own.* I made out cord for about 50%* of complete new. *In our plant they use the same cords and plugs for the 120 and 240 volts as they have to twist and lock

I was thinking about that Phil, but wondered that not having factory molded ends would let in water. Anyway, what brand or style if wire is it? I assume Hubble connectors are the easy part. I'll check Grainger and see what they have.

GonzoF1 wrote:

Tom-
*Tom,

A couple of weeks ago I replaced a defective end on my 50 to 2-30 amp Y. Bought the plug and cover at WM. The first trip I was provided the wrong cover, but they took the "modified" cover back for credit and we figured out what I needed.

, but wondered that not having factory molded ends would let in water

Rain or geeks with hoses is never the problem,
Dropping the end into sea water IS the problem.

Even Hubbel needs be FW rinsed and to have the wire shortened a bit to solve this.

You do not have to buy name brand Hubble as there are other mfg that are just as good that are used in commercial/industrial.* My wire is black, and the ends are what they use in the shop, with the yellow*rubber cover over, and have*worked for like 10+ years.* the boat plug in and the shore plug in are both protected from the weather.* Every year you should open/clean and greeae/oil them.* I di not have the ahnd strength to push and twist.* the rubber cover don;t let any water in unless your dunk them in water.* If you do happen to dunk them in salt then dunk clean the with fresh, dry and oil/greease them.*

Doesn't the black wire scuff the fiberglass?

GonzoF1 wrote:
Doesn't the black wire scuff the fiberglass?
Not if you keep it clean!** The yellow and white cords over time become black anyway.

"Doesn't the black wire scuff the fiberglass?"

Not the question , most black extension chords (SO rated?) are not outside rated , may not be waterproof and have lousy UV resistance.Most are not tinned , so should never be near water , esp, salt water.

Dirty cords of any color will rub off and leave residue (scuff marks) on any boat surface. That being said, black color in any elastomer will highly extend its life in UV (ultraviolet) exposure. I spent a lot of time in the plastics industry working on this stuff. Black colored plastics are made that way by adding carbon black to the polymer; PVC, PE, HDPE, etc. You can't degrade carbon black much further by environmental means.

Knowing this, I use black lines for my boat. The black pigment does weaken the lines a bit in initial strength, because it's a "filler", but doesn't show dirt and lasts much longer. I still have/use yellow shore power cords, but only because they've never degraded or been a problem. Black ones will last longer, no doubt. But as the exterior layers do degrade, they might leave scuff marks that are noticeable than the yellow ones.

It's possible to make your own shorepower cords, but by the time you buy the proper cable and ends, it's less expensive to buy pre-made cords.

Now if your neck is a few shades of red, you can cobble up something from the home center or surplus store that will power your boat for a while. Remember though, water and electricity are not a good mix. When dealing with the two, it's best to be on the safe side. I would look for good prices on brand name marine shorepower cords. Look for sales.

I am talking about 50 A 240 volt 75 ft long, not the 20 or 30 amp cord that you can buy on sale.* A 50 ft is 500 bucks and 25 ft is 400 bucks at West Maine.* **

If black is so bad why are all the power and tellephone wire black?** Last night I inspected the cord, the yellow covers are almost weather *white and checked, but the back cord shows little sign of cracking/checking after 14 years.* So even the yellow cords will age. Every fall I check/maintain the cored and take the plug apart. The 100% pre made can the plug be taken apart to check/clean?

If its good enough for the commercial and industrial use its good enough for me.*

The usual black SO (extension cord rating) is fine for indoors.

THe black covering is usually rubber mix , so the cord is as flexible as you can get.

Not usually water proof , soft and really EZ to damage , bare (not tinned wires inside)

The Marine are covered with plastic that makes it water resistant and is tough enough for dock carts or golf carts to roll over it.

The easiest way to get low cost . but Marine , not house rated is to purchase a roll in the right supply store.

Worst Marine will be 2X to 4X the price , even their "commercial" division is not competative with other sources.

On our dock if you dont have genuine marine equippment , you dont get power .

-- Edited by FF on Saturday 14th of May 2011 04:32:56 AM

FF wrote:
......... Worst Marine will be 2X to 4X the price , even their "commercial" division is not competative with other sources.

On a recent trip to West Marine, I noticed a stack of 40' (yes, 40') Marinco 30 amp shorepower cords marked 25% off.* There was no price so I asked the SA.* He came back and told me that the total was $34.00.* I purchased one as a spare.*You would have a hard time beating that price anywhere.

Anyone using the Smart Plug rig?

GonzoF1 wrote:

Tom-
*You should also check the condition of the shore power inlets on your boat.* Sometimes these are the cause of boat fires.* To really check them, you need to pull them out and check the wires where they connect to the back of the plug.

Yea Ron, that is the plan. I want to kind of go over the whole rig, but I figured that if Smart Plugs were a viable option, the time to replace them would be when I was already digging into it.

I think for now, I'm going to just go ahead with your standard garden-variety yellow cords from Defender or BoatFix. Get 2x50' and 2x25' with a new 50A to 2x30A and be done with it for a while.

GonzoF1 wrote:
Yea Ron, that is the plan. I want to kind of go over the whole rig, but I figured that if Smart Plugs were a viable option, the time to replace them would be when I was already digging into it.

I think for now, I'm going to just go ahead with your standard garden-variety yellow cords from Defender or BoatFix. Get 2x50' and 2x25' with a new 50A to 2x30A and be done with it for a while.

Well the smart plugs look good, but they are not standard so if you lose or damage one, you won't be able to borrow one and may not be able to purchase one locally.* That could be a real inconvenience.

I'm staying with the industry standard for the forseable future.

Good points, Ron. Thanks.

GonzoF1 wrote:
Anyone using the Smart Plug rig?
*Yup, I converted last spring. I've seen too many burned up plugs, and if that happens at the boat inlet there is a good chance of a fire.* I like the fact that it's impossible for it to come loose, unlike the old style twist lock that seems to always be loose. It's also far more waterproof, much easier to plug in (no getting on my hands and knees in the dark to find the orientation of the blades) and has a built in over temp shutdown. I've never lost a shore power cord in 30 years, but if I do, I have the old connectors as spares until I can get a replacement.* It's a great solution to a common and possibly deadly problem..............Arctic Traveller

Thanks... I think I am going to stick with the accepted standard for now, but when I know I have the time and money, upgrade the plugs and connectors on these cables to Smart Plugs sometime next winter. I got a good look at them this weekend, and they are in immediate need of replacement.

Arctic Traveller wrote:
I've seen too many burned up plugs, and if that happens at the boat inlet there is a good chance of a fire.*

You've actually seen them?* I have heard about it and it's not hard to imagine, but I've never actually seen one.

The harbourmaster in Powell River has a collection of burnouts on display in a plexiglass case. It does make you think...*

SO far I have seen lots ,(lived aboard in NYC for 22+ years ) but for some reason they ALL seemed to burn out at the dock supply.

Perhaps the dock end is subject to more abuse , or dropped in the sea more often?

rwidman wrote:Arctic Traveller wrote:
I've seen too many burned up plugs, and if that happens at the boat inlet there is a good chance of a fire.*

You've actually seen them?* I have heard about it and it's not hard to imagine, but I've never actually seen one.

********* Here is a fire that started at the boats power inlet.* The boat was totaled.

********* My boat is mid way down the dock. With the tarp over the flybridge.

********* I was not there that day.** JohnP

"there is a good chance of a fire."

This and many other reasons that new build owners must demand the builder spend a few extra pennies and only build with Fire Retardant resin.

It has been standard on over 6pac inspected vessels for 40? years .

rwidman wrote:Arctic Traveller wrote:

*Not just seen it, had it happen on my boat more than once, fortunately never at the boat inlet, and it never caused a fire, just charred plugs.** ..............Arctic Traveller

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom