"Trawler" as defined by Yachtworld...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Eric

Why would a trawler weigh more than a "fast cruiser" when the cruiser needs larger engines and carries far more fuel and might have a larger superstructure and more amenities for a vessel similar sized? To me it would seem that the construction techniques will account more for weight than a particular type of vessel of the same size. I'm not trying to be difficult just trying to learn your thought process.

Thanks.

Big Fish,
Bigger or multi gen sets, long range high capacity fuel tanks, stronger more heavy duty hull, more domestic water supply, big dinghies, heavy duty higher weight engines gears and running gear like drive shafts, props and rudders. And there's lots more.
Owners add tons of stuff just because they think it dosn't matter how much a trawler weighs. And the designer puts in heavier materials for the same reason. Heavy everything practically. Windows, floors, ect.

Normal cruisers need to avoid weight wherever possible. Lightweight high speed engines are the norm. Minimal fuel and water plus relatively light construction lead to high speed planing performance. Not an element of the trawler. The real ones. There are high speed lightweight cruisers that look like trawlers that are only so in their appearance.

You are the most predictable on this site...

Maybe not in real life but here..... :)

Wifey B: Actually a bit predictable to those who know me in real life even if wild and off the beaten path sometimes. I am better behaved here than in real life. :)

Wifey B: Actually a bit predictable to those who know me in real life even if wild and off the beaten path sometimes. I am better behaved here than in real life. :)

Ooo La La! :D

i just realized or 1924 vintage house has 32 windows. Scraped and them all at least twice:)

All BS. At least for the GOM. Probably different in colder waters. Vietnam
refugees still happily get on with one engine and no gensent and happly send their prodigy to law 0r med shool.

Huh?? :huh::confused: Now I am really confused.

Maybe we need to be drunk to understand. SMH. LOL

Maybe we need to be drunk to understand. SMH. LOL

I've found by my 4th cup o' coffee in the morning, while piloting our boat from flying bridge, that I clearly understand! :facepalm: LOL

Huh?? :huh::confused: Now I am really confused.

Wifey B: I'll translate. ;)

There was a Vietnam family that escaped during the war. They've been very successful in the US with their son now a practicing criminal lawyer and their daughter a hot sexy brain surgeon. They recently purchased and rebuilt an older home, originally built in 1924. Their first major project on that home was scraping and refinishing 32 lexan windows. They highly recommend using Plexus for such projects.

They also purchased a Lagoon Power Cat and they named it "người đánh cá bằng lưới rà". :D :rofl:

And to CWO KPM, I did figure out the thread you were targeting, and by missing subjected yourself to a bit of humor which I hope you know is all well intended. :)

Wifey B

You missed your calling and should have benn a detective (or does it run in your family?).

Sorry you all missed the point. Guess you had to be there. In 1975 many refugees made it to the U.S.
When they got to the camps they where asked what was your profession?
Depending on the answer, they where then sent to the most likely location. With government assistance, many where helped to to buy crappy ass trawlers that they did then use to send their kids to school!

Last edited:
Sorry you all missed the point. Guess you had to be there. In 1975 many refugees made it to the U.S.
When they got to the camps they where asked what was your profession?
Depending on the answer, they where then sent to the most likely location. With government assistance, many where helped to to buy crappy ass trawlers that they did then use to send their kids to school!

It was not a very peaceful transition. RIght here where common Americans owned businesses in the shrimping, the Vietnamese were handed the business fully funded by the government. It was a very ugly scene in these parts. I imagine it was a similar scene in South Louisiana. I should know as my family is from Lafayette...but I don't remember that part of history there.

Wifey B,
Read the reply when you are finished putting the jet boat on the Davit.
I had to weld my own Davits using both MIG and TIG.

CWO means I am pretty much an a hole by definition.

Evangeline has a cheap-ass TIG on board and i remember how to use it.

Just need to recall to turn off the frig and HVAC first. 3.5 Next-gens don't like that.

We had lots of South Vietnamese arrive here by small boat, and we welcomed them(unlike those coming later via people smugglers). Plenty of them, and their families, have done very well. Good Viet food is a delight, and I like flying their airline too.
As to OTDE and Philosophy, I always enjoy posts by Nietzsche and Jean Paul Sartre, great contributions to TF, enthusiastic trawler owners too. :rolleyes:
A Monty Python sketch involved philosophers competing in a quiz, the prize a 3 piece lounge suite. Get cracking on that one, RTF.

Back
Top Bottom