Boat Lettering Options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Speedy Charlotte
Vessel Make
Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Hi there, does anyone have a good source they would recommend for boat lettering? I assume most do vinyl these days, or is paint still frequently used?

Also, anyone have any good recommendations for letter size (height)?

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited:
Boat US.

Greetings,
Mr. M. Regarding size: Big enough to be easily read @ 100+ yds. with the unaided eye please. Forget about the "funky" text or the artsy-fartsy shading.

I have used both of these sources with excellent results.

Capn Johns Boat Lettering Specializes In Vinyl Boat Lettering Boat Names and Graphics
https://www.boatus.com/boatgraphics/

Both have very nice online tools to help determine font, size, and color. I think the BoatUS site's tool gives you more information as to resultant total size, height etc....

Greetings,
Mr. M. Regarding size: Big enough to be easily read @ 100+ yds. with the unaided eye please. Forget about the "funky" text or the artsy-fartsy shading.

I agree. One of my pet peeves are boat names that are;
a. Impossible to read from a distance
b. Difficult to pronounce.
c. Difficult to understand when heard.

IMO, a primary reason for a boat name is to be able to identify your boat to others. If the name can't be seen or pronounced by another boater, or can't be understood on the radio it is simply inadequate as a name for a vessel.

Yes,
the key word is identification and that comes from comunication not jokes.

I do it myself. I have both made vinyl lettering and cut out vinyl stencils for paint. Paint holds up better.

Just call a local sign shop or ask the nearest large boat dealership who they use. That way you get someone who has a lot of experience putting them on.

Just call a local sign shop or ask the nearest large boat dealership who they use. That way you get someone who has a lot of experience putting them on.

+1 on this. Sign shops seem to be one type of business that's still hanging on to the model of locally-owned, brick-and-mortar shops. Not only will you be helping the local economy, you may find it's cheaper than on line. And if you haven't done a lot of it, you might find having an expert apply it for you is well worth it.

+1 to using a local sign shop. I use the local Fast Signs and over the years I've become friends with the owner. I can take him my idea, they'll set it up in the computer and let me look at it, but if I want to make a change there's no fuss, no muss, they just make the change before they cut the letters.

I put them on myself. Easy Peeasy if you take your time.

Hi there, does anyone have a good source they would recommend for boat lettering? I assume most do vinyl these days, or is paint still frequently used?

Also, anyone have any good recommendations for letter size (height)?

Thanks,
Mike

If you're coming to Seattle, call Prism Graphics. Good folks, excellent service.

Another vote for boat US. We just re-named our new-to-us boat (formal ceremony in a couple of weeks, but that's another thread).

They have excellent design tools, large choice of fonts, colors, etc. Their preview function shows final size, color, etc.

They even have an "oops" guarantee. On my first order, I made a mistake (upper and lower case should have been all upper case). They gave me 50% off my corrected order. Can't ask for more than that.

When I had a question, they responded via email in one day.

Good luck!
Oldersalt

Make your boat name a minimum of 1" to 2" larger than you think you need. As Dave indicates, many boat names are hard to read at a distance. Boat names look big enough at a marina, but at a distance of 100 feet or so, then they are no longer readable.

+1 for Fast Signs - did a great job for us at a reasonable price. It's nice to work with a real person rather than an internet site.

Another vote for BoatUS. Quick, easy, cheap enough. These were for the RIB and I found I had to cut the backing strip to 'kink' the line of numbers to follow the hull adequately. Worked fine.

I used FastSign for another application about 25 years ago; good folks there, then. Did not go back to them since I'd much prefer paying marine prices for marine products...

Your computer has plenty of font choices. I picked one I liked (dedgable from a distance, yet a bit fancier than plain block characters) then took a print to a local sign shop who composed adhesive vinyl characters on a continuous strip of release paper, which greatly simplifies application.

Another vote for the local service, support the economy and you get personal service. The local guy often can suggest more than just what you think you want, my "Rose" on the stern is a multi piece layered buildup and I couldn't be happier with it.

The name is readable, but the home port is required to be plain and a minimum of 4" high. Check your local requirements, mine were dictated by Documentation.

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 93
The name is readable, but the home port is required to be plain and a minimum of 4" high. Check your local requirements, mine were dictated by Documentation.

4" minimum yes, but there is no requirement for documented vessels as to the font type, style, or color.

Font type and size for the home port are set in stone, only the vessel name is open to font, style, and color.

Font type and size for the home port are set in stone, only the vessel name is open to font, style, and color.

From the USCG site:

"The name and hailing port of a recreational vessel must be marked together on some clearly visible exterior part of the hull. The vessel name of a commercial vessel must also be marked on the port and starboard bow and the vessel name and the hailing port must also be marked on the stern. All markings may be made by any means and materials that result in durable markings and must be at least four inches in height, made in clearly legible letters of the Latin alphabet or Arabic or Roman numerals. The "hailing port" must include both a place and a State, Territory, or possession of in the United States. The state may be abbreviated."

Maybe font, style and color requirements are hidden elsewhere.

From my documentation paperwork, I had assumed the requirement for the interior marking in block letters was also for the home port marking requirement. The guy who put my vinyl lettering on had told me the home port marking was required to be in a specific font.

Reading the paperwork in front of me you are correct. No font or color is required as long as the markings are clearly legible. My bad...

Another vote for Capn Johns.

Wifey B: I'm sure the Boat US is a great choice, but someone mentioned above about sign shops locally owned and it just feels good to work with them.

Amen to making it clear and legible and a name easy to use on the radio and be clearly understood. And not too long. Don't try to put your life story in the boat name. :) Needs to be orally quick. A new term i just made up. :D I don't look at it like I'm naming a child, just a boat, and I can call it when speaking to it anything I want but need a name that works for official communication.

And clear easily read lettering. We bought a business not long ago that the first thing that had to be done was a new sign. The one they had was beeeeauuuutiful. But...you couldn't read the freaking name.:eek:

Wifey B: I'm sure the Boat US is a great choice, but someone mentioned above about sign shops locally owned and it just feels good to work with them.

Amen to making it clear and legible and a name easy to use on the radio and be clearly understood. And not too long. Don't try to put your life story in the boat name. :) Needs to be orally quick. A new term i just made up. :D I don't look at it like I'm naming a child, just a boat, and I can call it when speaking to it anything I want but need a name that works for official communication.

I have used a local sign shop as well with good results for boats and cars. It was owned by a long term patient of mine and he did great work.

I have to say though that one of the issues is making it quick and convenient. I have very little chance to get away during normal business hours. So the online retailers are great for me.

Thanks for the tips everyone. Very helpful!

Just a heads up there may be state or fed. if doc. vessel re; size color and placement. When I do safety checks for USCGAUX I find a few boats every year that do not meet the legal requirements. So check with your state and your documentation literature before you finalize keep in mind that the idea is to be able to identify your boat from a distance. Auorra has a nice big name but if it is a documented vessel I might have to flunk it if it does not also include the calling port as noted on doc. papers. What I am saying is there are legal issues in some cases with plastering a name on a boat..

Back
Top Bottom