How to clean your water tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pgitug

Guru
Vessel Name
Escapade
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 37 2002
We purchased a 2002 Nordic Tug last year. I replaced the water hose from the aluminum water tank to the electric water pump. Eight months later I look at the hose and find that the inside has a thin coating of scum in it, the color of toupe.
There is not an access hatch that you can open and inspect the inside of the tank. So my question is this. How do you clean out a 14 year old water tank?

Be aware that chlorine is highly corrosive to aluminum. At the very least, be careful how much you add. I'd suggest doing a test with aluminium foil in the time of exposure and concentration you wish to use.

Hey, HopCar, is that stuff safe for aluminum tanks?

CaptTom, it is much safer on aluminum than bleach. In the Practical Sailor test they put aluminum discs in solutions of bleach and Purisan. The bleach solution did a lot more damage than the Puriclean.

Both use chlorine as the active ingredient but there is something in Puriclean that protects the aluminum. I asked the manufacturer of Puriclean why it didn't damage aluminum and I got a long explanation that I couldn't really understand.
He talked to me like I hadn't slept through high school chemistry.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom