Guess What Happened Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wxx3

Dauntless Award
Vessel Name
Dauntless
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
On the lighter side, after agonizing with us over the last 3 weeks, I thought you would like this.

The Scene, we had just tied to the dock for the first time in 3 weeks, and wanting to change the oil, I was preparing to change the oil, when I noticed a little spot of transmission fluid.

Wondering where it came from I...(fill in the blanks)

Attachments

• 20161228_150944.jpg
    20161228_150944.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 350
Well, no suntan lotion needed that day.

I take it the transmission fluid was pressurized even though the engine was off?

On the lighter side, after agonizing with us over the last 3 weeks, I thought you would like this.

The Scene, we had just tied to the dock for the first time in 3 weeks, and wanting to change the oil, I was preparing to change the oil, when I noticed a little spot of transmission fluid.

Wondering where it came from I...(fill in the blanks)

Looks like you are ready to be fried :D

How long does it take the pressure to go down?

Soon as the engine is off basically.

That's why I asked. If the lines or the case were still pressurized after the engine is off, something is wrong.

Unless of course he was messing with say the lines or perhaps dip stick while the engine was running. :D

Time for laundry? A shower? Spill your beer?

Time for a haircut? That looks recent enough...

Hint:

" As I prepared to change oil, I noticed some tranny fluid"

therefore, I started doing two things at once.

THe worst of it is the engine ER looks the same as me

You inadvertently disturbed a stowaway squid?

Hint:

" As I prepared to change oil, I noticed some tranny fluid"

therefore, I started doing two things at once.

So you sprayed yourself with engine oil from the oil change pump.

Been there done that.

It has to do with your fluid change pump. Not sure what but it was pumping oil and sprayed some how???

That's a pretty energetic spray, with an excellent broadcast pattern. Hmm.

Left cap on OC pump discharge hose, then pump turned on, found weak spot in plumbing?

Forgot to put a jug on the transfer pump outlet???

OK
My filter is upside down, so ...

When I change the oil. The 1st thing I do is punch a hole in the oil filter so it drains.

But then, seeing the transmission oil, I wondered where it came from.
I told Micah, start the engine, but be prepared to shut it off quickly.
Well in the first second, my first thought was "this was a good idea as I clearly have a big leak. In the seocnd second I realized this is way to much oil and it's hot, ..
the engine probably only cranked, ran for 3 seconds, but that was enogh to cover almost every part of the ER with oil.

We spent the day yesterday wiping everything down.

As I took a shower, scrubbing myself the third time, I was grateful that for once we were not pitching and rolling.

THe oil change pump hose getting loose, that happens every other time. No this one was special.

Dang. I do boneheaded things daily. But never cranked an engine after pricking the filter!!

You get kudos for doing the transatlantic twice.

Still get a knucklehead award for this.

You ought to keep the shirt as a reminder, and a trophy!!

on the bright side, you won't have to worry about anything rusting this year

¡feliz Año Nuevo!

Do you always get well oiled on New Year's Eve?

Two good things will come of that.

1) You'll start the new year with a nice clean engine space.

2) You have a new designated oil change shirt.

Last edited:
Good corrosion preventative coating for the engine, less so for you.
I`ve seen a mechanic remove old filters by driving a screwdriver through and through, screwdriver works as a turn lever.

Rich: While changing out the impeller in my Yanmar I broke the fuel return line and didn't notice it. After starting the engine the next morning, I didn't have to enjoy a diesel fuel shower, but I sure made a mess of my engine room and bilge. Took a full day with Dawn, a power washer and a a wet dry vac to clean it. Now I have to make a run to the county Hazmat collection center with 20 gallons of waste.

If these are the biggest mistakes that we make, we're gonna be just fine. Tomorrow, the incident will already be "last year".

See the positive side, now you don't have dry skin and you have a clean ER :)

So, after running your engine almost continuously for almost 25 days, how dirty was the oil? Do you feel like the Lehman was being abused from such an extended oil change interval?

Lol that's not too bad. You can still see some white on your shirt.

My worst oops. Was about 60 gallons of oil on the floor of a brand new va hospital cep. Worst one i ever wore. Was about 5 gallons of cat elc.

Thanks Richard. I am changing my oil on my Detroits and the generator. A lesson on what not to do. :)

Need to launder that shirt and keep it as a trophy.

Walk into a dock bar with it on and there will be conversations!!

Need to launder that shirt and keep it as a trophy.

Walk into a dock bar with it on and there will be conversations!!

I can imagine the kids pointing finger to him... "Look mum, another guy that screwed things up!" lol :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom