Spares

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Obx

The wife and I are in the process of purchasing a 42 GB with twin 3208TA Cat's. Our 1st large boat. I'm planning on taking inventory of spares in the engine room. I want to have spares of impellers, belts, hoses, filters etc.

What should I have extra's of. What about tools?

Thanks for info in advance

Best to give us a description of planned cruising. If you plan to do day trips within the range of Seatow or Tow Boatus, spares need not be extensive. Planning on cruising into the Bahamas, a more extensive list would be advised.

Ted

Tool requirements are hard to judge. What you need depends on your mechanical ability and willingness to work on the engines and other systems. Some people are happy with a single tool (checkbook or Amex/Visa/etc. card) and others have essentially a full machine shop.

As far as essential spares go, I always have the following:

1) fuel filters (at least one on engine filter and two racor filters)
2) spare belt (s)
3) oil filter and enough oil for a complete change
4) Enough transmission fluid for a change
5) Air filter (although this isn't as important as the other spares because you can run without a filter)
6) Impeller
7) a couple of hundred feet of electrical wire in various gauges along with matching connectors
8) Spare bilge pumps and float switches (my boat is a woody)
9) Varnish
10) paint in all colors used on board
11) small tube of 3M 4000
12) 2'x4' piece of 8mm marine plywood (my boat is a woody)
13) 1 box each of #12, #10, #8 and #6 screws in stainless and bronze as appropriate. Screw types vary from pan head to wood. I also keep a selection of machine screws
14) a variety of cable ties and clamps
15) a couple of dozen spare hose clamps in all appropriate sizes
16) 10' of 3/4" hose and a few feet of 1.5"

I also keep a spare set of copper gaskets for the high pressure fuel lines and a spare injector.

My basic on board tool kit includes:

1) 1/2", 3/8" and 1/4" drive socket sets in both standard and metric
2) All needed combination wrenches
3) several vice grips
4) three sizes of slotted and phillips screw drivers.
5) complete set of allen wrenches
6) 3/8" and 1/2" drive torque wrenches
7) DVM with clamp on ammeter
8) wire strippers and crimpers
9) rechargeable tools (drill, driver, saw)

That covers the basics for me, but I like to be able to repair most things.

oops forgot a few things - wood chisels (3), hammer, caulking iron, mallet, calking cotton, seam compound, dolfinite, japanese pull saw, bevel gauge, level, chalk line and about 10 clamps in various sizes.

Last edited:
Best to give us a description of planned cruising. If you plan to do day trips within the range of Seatow or Tow Boatus, spares need not be extensive. Planning on cruising into the Bahamas, a more extensive list would be advised.

Ted

From NC to FLa but mostly as far as I can travel and return in 7 days at a time (2-3 times a year for now)

Tool requirements are hard to judge. What you need depends on your mechanical ability and willingness to work on the engines and other systems. Some people are happy with a single tool (checkbook or Amex/Visa/etc. card) and others have essentially a full machine shop.

As far as essential spares go, I always have the following:

1) fuel filters (at least one on engine filter and two racor filters)
2) spare belt (s)
3) oil filter and enough oil for a complete change
4) Enough transmission fluid for a change
5) Air filter (although this isn't as important as the other spares because you can run without a filter)
6) Impeller
7) a couple of hundred feet of electrical wire in various gauges along with matching connectors
8) Spare bilge pumps and float switches (my boat is a woody)
9) Varnish
10) paint in all colors used on board
11) small tube of 3M 4000
12) 2'x4' piece of 8mm marine plywood (my boat is a woody)
13) 1 box each of #12, #10, #8 and #6 screws in stainless and bronze as appropriate. Screw types vary from pan head to wood. I also keep a selection of machine screws
14) a variety of cable ties and clamps
15) a couple of dozen spare hose clamps in all appropriate sizes
16) 10' of 3/4" hose and a few feet of 1.5"

I also keep a spare set of copper gaskets for the high pressure fuel lines and a spare injector.

My basic on board tool kit includes:

1) 1/2", 3/8" and 1/4" drive socket sets in both standard and metric
2) All needed combination wrenches
3) several vice grips
4) three sizes of slotted and phillips screw drivers.
5) complete set of allen wrenches
6) 3/8" and 1/2" drive torque wrenches
7) DVM with clamp on ammeter
8) wire strippers and crimpers
9) rechargeable tools (drill, driver, saw)

That covers the basics for me, but I like to be able to repair most things.

oops forgot a few things - wood chisels (3), hammer, caulking iron, mallet, calking cotton, seam compound, dolfinite, japanese pull saw, bevel gauge, level, chalk line and about 10 clamps in various sizes.

Thanks
After I can get back to the GB (4.5 hrs away) I'll get the inventory and add to based upon recommendations from everyone.

Greetings,
Mr. OBX. I think there are a couple of threads dealing with spares AND tools. I would ask another member to refer them to you as my memory sucks!

OBX
I carry a sm wet dry shop vac and find it a useful tool in many situations.
Also consider a compression tool for inserting impellers...I added a piston ring compressor but others swear by hose clamps or clamps and a piece of rigid plastic from an ice cream container or similar

Reactions: Obx

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom